TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warning! The Krylon 1305 Will Smear Shelby Sig!!

wildcat

I spent hours and hours doing research before deciding on a course of action. Leaving it unprotected was not an option for me; I have other sharpie signed collectibles which have all faded over time. These are items that are in my home and not exposed to direct sunlight. I figured I had to do something because I would never be happy knowing the signature would eventually fade away, especially since it would be exposed to heat and direct sunlight being inside the automobile.

I ended up following the advice I found on various art and collectible sites, and hit it with Krylon. I have to say the Krylon did a magnificent job. It did not streak or smear the signature in any way, and after putting down about a dozen coats the piece looks no different than it did before, I can’t even tell anything was done to it. That being said Krylon will smear a sharpie marker if you put down too heavy a coat and the liquid pools, so if you do take this route please be careful!

I used the Krylon UV resistant acrylic clear with Matte finish. When I sprayed the plaque, I made VERY light coats to start. The first 1/2 dozen coats were short single pass sprays, nothing more than a mist. I allowed for 10 minutes drying time between each coat. After that, I felt more comfortable putting down six heavier coats which consisted of 4-6 misting each. The Krylon is supposed to bond to metal, is guaranteed not to yellow, and the UV resistance should keep the Sharpie form fading.

All and all I could not be happier with the result, and it did not cost me 50 bucks like the body shop wanted. I’ll enjoy the plaque much more knowing that it is protected.

Tim

Nice write up Tim. Welcome to the forum. I see that your plaque is unique in being that it is blank and on a GT. How did you arrange getting that plaque ?

Nice write up Tim. Welcome to the forum. I see that your plaque is unique in being that it is blank and on a GT. How did you arrange getting that plaque ?

I realize I am a little out of place here being a GT owner, but wanted to contribute as this thread as it was one of the ones that helped me decide what to do. I got the plaque from the Carroll Shelby foundation: http://www.shelbychildrensfoundation.org/.

Tim

I realize I am a little out of place here being a GT owner, but wanted to contribute as this thread as it was one of the ones that helped me decide what to do. I got the plaque from the Carroll Shelby foundation: http://www.shelbychildrensfoundation.org/.

Tim

Tim,

Please hang around here. You are NOT out of place whatsoever. You have a GT and that is very cool. If you had no car, that would be fine too. There are lots of good people here, and we want to welcome you to the group. :)

DC,

I had the number wrong. After going back and looking at the can it is 1309 like rpretzel mentioned...the name is exactly how I listed it though. I used 5 light coats. Be sure and shoot the first two very light.This way you actually put a seal over the object you are covering and after that you can do no wrong. I sprayed mine on while it was on the center dash as I have another Shelby signature right on the dash, so I covered both that and the plaque. In my case I didn't want to over do it as I wanted everything to blend in. I did tape the air vents etc. It really does work and after a certain number of coats , I don't think you're adding to the sealing process...it's like taking too many vitamins...at some point your body can only absorb so much. Because this does work and very well at that, I can't see a reason for not doing it.

What if someones coffee flies up on the dash during a quick stop. What if a mechanic rubs it accidently with a substance...and last but not least, things do fade and wear out over time. This particular product number is used for very expensive paintings, shetches and chalk drawings. Those artists trust it and it does really work...just have the patience and take your time on those first two light coats and you'll be a very happy camper. I used to worry about these signatures...not anymore. Well there's my two cents. Good luck!

Rip

Thanks for the tips on application Rip. I have already installed the plague. I should have waited so I will use some blue mask tape on the dash and vents and follow your advise. Hadn't thought about someone rubbing the plaque with dirty hands or wiping with some fluid. NOT GOOD!

DC

Thanks for the tips on application Rip. I have already installed the plague. I should have waited so I will use some blue mask tape on the dash and vents and follow your advise. Hadn't thought about someone rubbing the plaque with dirty hands or wiping with some fluid. NOT GOOD!

DC

Now you got me thinkin. :huh:

Tim,

Please hang around here. You are NOT out of place whatsoever. You have a GT and that is very cool. If you had no car, that would be fine too. There are lots of good people here, and we want to welcome you to the group. :)

+1 Tim. Yeah, what grabber said. Thanks for your details on how you applied the Krylon to your plaque! Looks great.

DC

Tim,

Thanks Grabber, maybe I’ll head on over to the s197 area and introduce myself.

Tim

Tim

Great looking dash, I love the SGTs as well, looks really nice. Thanks for the info. Im on the fence about painting but thinking about coffee splashes makes me think it's the right way to go.

KC666

Archived