TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Electrochromic mirrors

SteelSteeds

I have a question for any/all of you that have or have driven a car with the self-dimming mirrors:

We bought my wife a new Volvo XC70 earlier this year, and it was the first vehicle I'd actually driven with an electrochromic mirror. I was quite impressed. It always seems to be at the perfect level of dimness. Now I buy my new Shelby, the second vehicle I've driven with one. It doesn't work nearly as well. I always find myself at dusk reaching up to dim the mirror, which isn't possible. Anyone have a similar or different experience with theirs? Because of the difference in what should be a similar product (Ford owns Volvo after all), I'm wondering if I got a bum unit. Just looking for other opinions!

Thanks.

Mine acts weird too - almost sluggish to change.

Example - night time, car with lights on behind me but far enough away so I could see the headlights. Took about a minute before it dimmed, then, depending on if the guy passed or got close enough that the lights weren't visible, it would take another 30 sec/1min before it would dim again.

First time I've had a "dimming mirror" so I didn't know what it was supposed to do.

Example - night time, car with lights on behind me but far enough away so I could see the headlights. Took about a minute before it dimmed, then, depending on if the guy passed or got close enough that the lights weren't visible, it would take another 30 sec/1min before it would dim again.

First time I've had a "dimming mirror" so I didn't know what it was supposed to do.

My Shelby is still about 4 weeks out so cannot say about that :banghead: but I have had 2 other ford products with these mirrors and they have worked fine.

You need to clean your rear window. :poke:

:hysterical2:

Seriously though, mine is slow to change also. Ford bought the leftover auto-dimming material from Volvo I guess. :fan:

Not sure if there is any validity or not, but I was told the mirror works on interior darkness, distance from rear window and clear line of sight. Meaning in this case the XC70's interior is larger, the mirror more than likely hangs down lower for clearer sight line, as well the interior is probably darker. On the Stang, the mirrors are tucked up high, the rear window is close, and the cabin is brighter and more illuminated. Does that make any sense? I have my Expedition with this mirror, and it is quick, my girls Jag is slower, and the Shelby even slower, so it makes sense given those three size differences.

I always notice mine working when backing out of the garage. My garage is somewhat dark and the bright outside light always kicks on the dimmer.

Yeah, I notice this too, until I put it in reverse which automatically brightens the mirror.

Dan's comments seem right on the money as well. The Volvo is a darker interior. I wonder if the mirrors sensitivity is adjustable? Barring that, maybe a small piece of tinted plastic could cover the sensor, to fool it into darkening slightly...

I haven't really driven the car at night, other than the day I bought it, coming home from the dealership, so most of my frustrations are right at dusk, on my way home from work. Soon enough that will be dark... :censored:

Joe if guys are passing you or even getting close, maybe you aren't driving it right or maybe it's broke! LOL Just kidding!!! Mike

I have a question for any/all of you that have or have driven a car with the self-dimming mirrors:

We bought my wife a new Volvo XC70 earlier this year, and it was the first vehicle I'd actually driven with an electrochromic mirror. I was quite impressed. It always seems to be at the perfect level of dimness. Now I buy my new Shelby, the second vehicle I've driven with one. It doesn't work nearly as well. I always find myself at dusk reaching up to dim the mirror, which isn't possible. Anyone have a similar or different experience with theirs? Because of the difference in what should be a similar product (Ford owns Volvo after all), I'm wondering if I got a bum unit. Just looking for other opinions!

Thanks.

I swapped mine out for an aftermarket one from Ford that has the Homelink system in it. It allows you to program your garage door openers into your mirror so they aren't hanging off the visor. I haven't had any trouble with mine, it works great. Gentex makes virtually all of them for the auto industry, but maybe there may be different quality levels? (Volvo has to justify the higher sticker price somehow right? :hysterical: ) The one with Homelink and compass is about $400 installed. You can add temperature for another $75.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to bump this up again now that I've driven my Shelby quite a bit at night. I'm severely frustrated with this mirror. It takes too long to dim, and every time I get to a stoplight, and the car behind me gets close enough that its headlights don't shine over the spoiler, the mirror lightens up. Then when I pull away I get blinded again.

Is anybody else having this problem to the same extent? Will a different mirror help? I'd happily buy the mirror with Homelink, but if it does the same thing, I might go ballistic....

:banghead:

Like I said in post #3, I don't like it either.

I haven't driven it for over a month, so can't tell you anything recent... but before it acted just like you described.

Thanks, Joe. I did find the sensor on the front (hood side) of the mirror, and I'm considering trying to cover it at least partially, to see if I can trick the mirror into better behavior. I'll keep everyone posted.

I swapped mine out for an aftermarket one from Ford that has the Homelink system in it. It allows you to program your garage door openers into your mirror so they aren't hanging off the visor. I haven't had any trouble with mine, it works great. Gentex makes virtually all of them for the auto industry, but maybe there may be different quality levels? (Volvo has to justify the higher sticker price somehow right? :hysterical: ) The one with Homelink and compass is about $400 installed. You can add temperature for another $75.

Cloud9 can you post a pic of your aftermarket mirror. I see these offered as accessories on the Ford website but I thought these were genuine Ford parts. You say Gentex makes them all so maybe it doesn't matter. I'm thinking of getting the upgraded one too.

I wanted to bump this up again now that I've driven my Shelby quite a bit at night. I'm severely frustrated with this mirror. It takes too long to dim, and every time I get to a stoplight, and the car behind me gets close enough that its headlights don't shine over the spoiler, the mirror lightens up. Then when I pull away I get blinded again.

Is anybody else having this problem to the same extent? Will a different mirror help? I'd happily buy the mirror with Homelink, but if it does the same thing, I might go ballistic....

:banghead:

Excellent info, thanks for posting. I don't have this mirror, but some of these little things like what you mention may save others from the same frustration.

AD

Excellent info, thanks for posting. I don't have this mirror, but some of these little things like what you mention may save others from the same frustration.

AD

I agree spolier blocks headlights when behind us. mine not so bad I only see half in rear veiw mirrior other half spolier blocking.I guest I am to short.Also mind has a curfew be in @ dark. To many drunks in south Louisiana.

Cloud9 can you post a pic of your aftermarket mirror. I see these offered as accessories on the Ford website but I thought these were genuine Ford parts. You say Gentex makes them all so maybe it doesn't matter. I'm thinking of getting the upgraded one too.

It's under wraps at my mother-in-laws right now, so it will be a bit. I ordered some metal polisher to clean up my exhaust tips, so when I take care of that I'll try to remember to get a picture. I'll also look at my invoice to get you a part number.

Might be a week or two so PM me if I forget.

I also won't be able to "test" the dimming problem you are having to see if it's cleared up with this mirror until spring.... :banghead: Although, I do not recall ever having that problem and I installed the new mirror within two weeks of getting the car.

Archived