TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine Tick Revisited

mastersmech1

th_GT500Noise002.jpg

Mine made that same noise one time after about 3000 miles on engine start up. LSR was here at my garage and we both heard it, I only let it run for 10 seconds max before shutting her down, after I started it back up she was fine and hasn't made the noise again. I believe you have a bad lifter. I really hope Ford is aggressive fixing your tick. There have been others that posted this same problem and no response on what Ford did for them. Please let us know how it goes. If they tell it's going to have to get worse, well I just hope they don't pull that crap.

Mine made that same noise one time after about 3000 miles on engine start up. LSR was here at my garage and we both heard it, I only let it run for 10 seconds max before shutting her down, after I started it back up she was fine and hasn't made the noise again. I believe you have a bad lifter. I really hope Ford is aggressive fixing your tick. There have been others that posted this same problem and no response on what Ford did for them. Please let us know how it goes. If they tell it's going to have to get worse, well I just hope they don't pull that crap.

Oh, they will fix my car, I can guarantee you that.

This is now the third new Mustang I have had in the last couple of years that has had problems. They ended up replacing my 06 GT with an 07 that they couldnt seem to fix the tranny leak on, and then the 07 started making noise when I was almost home from the dealer (about 70 miles) They ended up putting in a new engine by the time the car had 700 miles on it. The first dealer I took the 07 GT to told me the noise was "normal." I said hell no, my 06 didnt make that noise!

Almost makes me want to crossover and buy a new Vette. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh, they will fix my car, I can guarantee you that.

This is now the third new Mustang I have had in the last couple of years that has had problems. They ended up replacing my 06 GT with an 07 that they couldnt seem to fix the tranny leak on, and then the 07 started making noise when I was almost home from the dealer (about 70 miles) They ended up putting in a new engine by the time the car had 700 miles on it. The first dealer I took the 07 GT to told me the noise was "normal." I said hell no, my 06 didnt make that noise!

Almost makes me want to crossover and buy a new Vette. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I just hope Ford is very aggressive and does right by you. Good luck and let us know what they do, even if they break out both barrels and replace the engine.

Wow, Redline that tick is loud.

Mastersmech's is not that loud and it can only be heard on the drivers side.

Have you tried the simple? Different gas? Different oil?

Yes on the gas.

No on the oil. We changed the oil with the 5w50 sythentic from Ford a couple hundred miles ago and it didn't help whatsoever. I thought about trying some thicker oil....But I really shouldn't have to do that.

I also want to add, the car barely makes the noise when its cold. It only gets loud like that when it is good and warmed up.

Yes on the gas.

No on the oil. We changed the oil with the 5w50 sythentic from Ford a couple hundred miles ago and it didn't help whatsoever. I thought about trying some thicker oil....But I really shouldn't have to do that.

I also want to add, the car barely makes the noise when its cold. It only gets loud like that when it is good and warmed up.

Are you using the motorcraft oil filter-FL 820S. It has an anti-drain back valve in it. Some of the after market ones do not. I say this because I used fram filters on my Expedition and kept getting a ticking noise. I changed to the motorcraft filter and no ticking noise! I later found out the fram filter had no back flow valve in it. Not the same filter it was years ago. This is probably to simple and you may be using the motorcraft filter, but FYI anyway.

DC

Technically these engines don't have lifters. They have a similar part, but it has a different name. We looked at these while on the tour at Romeo, as someone had already complained of this noise before the tour. That person had these parts replaced, and it did NOT make the noise go away.

My car occasionally makes the same noise....but it's intermittent and doesn't seem to follow a logical sequence of events. I think it happens every time Terry's in the car. :hysterical2:

Dave

Hi Guys,

I was the originator of The Engine Tick and Engine Tick Revisted. My tick was on the drivers side of the engine. The engine made no ticking sounds when cold or after a short drive, but as the engine became heat soaked it would start to tick. The problem surfaced around 1200 miles and slowly got worse as the miles accumulated. By 3000 miles you could hear the tick from 5 feet behind the car. After several trips to the dealer it was finally decided to replace all the lifters or valve lash adjusters as some like to call them. Well this did in fact fix that problem, but all my luck another noise surfaced as a direct result of changing the valve lash adjusters. This noise is more like what you guys are now describing. The noise is now on the passenger side of the car. It still surfaces in the same manner ( ok when cold, but appears when the engine is heat soaked). The noise is similar to what I heard before but lower in the block. It is most prominent just behind the right tire at ground level. I would almost say it sounds just like an exhaust leak, it kind of echoes through the exhaust and ticks or taps lower in the block. Since this new noise is a direct result of the valve lash adjusters being changed, one could assume that the noise is being produced by one the new valve lash adjusters. My theory is that the original noise was on the intake side and the new noise is on the exhaust side. The noise is not terrible, but to me a car that sells for any where from $45-$80000 should not be making any adverse noises. I will admit I have stopped and asked myself if I am being to critical. To find out the answer to that question, I participated in a local all Ford car show with hopes of running into some other GT500 owners. I was lucky enough to come across 3 others. I talked to them about my problem and listened to their engines and not one of the three made the sounds that mine did. In fact they sounded the way that my car does when it's cold. So to finally finish this thing up and give you my current thoughts: The noise that we are hearing may not be terrible, but it is definitely not normal. Over the next month, I will be negotiating with my local Ford Field Engineer as to what the next step will be. I am going to push to have the passenger side lifters replaced again.

If any of you have any thoughts on my theory or any thing else having to do with this, please respond or send me a personal note.

Much thanks,

Rob

The links below are videos to the tick I hear on my car. I came out of the house with the video camera in hand after driving around a while and the tick started while recording. The long video is about 5 minutes and cannot hear the tick until about a minute into the video. The short video is the ticking from both sides of the car. I did not realize you can hear it from the passenger side if you get the camera close enough. I noticed it at about 700 miles and have 2000 miles on the car now. I does not appear to be getting worse.

GT500 tick long

GT500 tick short

This is what the service rep responded with on the service ticket when I brought it to the dealer to the problem.

Check for metal to metal or vibration under the car at an idle after the car warms up. Most noticable after vehicle has been driven after several miles and then come to a stop. Vehicle has normal engine noise heard thru exhaust also normal gear rollover noise in trans when hot in neutral. Contacted hotline and they said valvetrain noise is a normal characteristic of this engine.

I have no knowledge of the aforementioned Shrimps.

Why worry about a Tick.

Got a warranty?

If it breaks - let them fix it?

True.

It you have the tick, you sure have to think twice about any engine mods that may impact future warranty claims.

Kirk

Archived