TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SC vs. Turbo

mastersmech1

Dang, Dan! It baffles me how much is stored in that noggin' of yours! Awesome info! Now, what does CGI stand for?

This is the kind of information (and production tech) I've been waiting for. Smaller lighter engines producing more HP more efficiently, and more importantly, reliably! I'm sure that when these engines start to be commonplace (hopefully for Ford) the same technology can be applied to the drive train for the increased HP.

Now, if we could only find a way to make fossil fuel affordable still, we'll all be able to hold on to our muscle cars a while longer!

- Josh

Ooops, sorry, Josh -- I must have edited that out ...my bad ;-) ... CGI is Compacted Graphite Iron. It's somewhat analygous (loosely) to how the compressed powder rods are made. Very ridgid/strong and relatively light (for same strength).

Well, aside from the fact that ethanol is more energy intensive to make (full energy life-cycle) than gas and is therefore somewhat of a political ploy and a prop for the farmers, imo, it will at least reduce some dependency on fossil-fuels. I expect it will also be used by NASCAR/others in a 'green-racing' to deflect the racing backlash developing in some political circles.

Possibly that's why Roush is testing that Ford E85 experimental engine in the yellow Roush mustang mule (pic below) sporting the new likely-SOHC H/Boss motor. Making about 850HP on E85 is quite amazing since ethanol has only 70% of the energy of gas -- and doing it naturally-aspirated to boot!!! The version in this pic is reportedly 7.0L -- bore-spacing reportedly about 1/10th inch smaller than the old 427FE :happy feet: i.e. a large displacement, nicely oversquare, happy revver :bandance: ;-)

post-4902-1192766524_thumb.jpg

Ooops, sorry, Josh -- I must have edited that out ...my bad ;-) ... CGI is Compacted Graphite Iron. It's somewhat analygous (loosely) to how the compressed powder rods are made. Very ridgid/strong and relatively light (for same strength).

Well, aside from the fact that ethanol is more energy intensive to make (full energy life-cycle) than gas and is therefore somewhat of a political ploy and a prop for the farmers, imo, it will at least reduce some dependency on fossil-fuels. I expect it will also be used by NASCAR/others in a 'green-racing' to deflect the racing backlash developing in some political circles.

Possibly that's why Roush is testing that Ford E85 experimental engine in the yellow Roush mustang mule (pic below) sporting the new likely-SOHC H/Boss motor. Making about 850HP on E85 is quite amazing since ethanol has only 70% of the energy of gas -- and doing it naturally-aspirated to boot!!! The version in this pic is reportedly 7.0L -- bore-spacing reportedly about 1/10th inch smaller than the old 427FE :happy feet: i.e. a large displacement, nicely oversquare, happy revver :bandance: ;-)

I'm all for being more "green", just give me the same sound out of my engine, and equal (or better) HP & Torque, so I can still "go" on the green! :superhero: I'm glad Ford is trying to find a way to keep us muscle-car-maniacs happy.

- Josh

I'm all for being more "green", just give me the same sound out of my engine, and equal (or better) HP & Torque, so I can still "go" on the green! :superhero: I'm glad Ford is trying to find a way to keep us muscle-car-maniacs happy.

- Josh

+1

...and that mustang is running well down in the 9s and mid-140s ;-)

Archived