TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 mustang shelby gt v.s. 2008 shelby gt500?

mustang04

The clutch is a LOT stiffer.

After driving the GT500 everyday, any other car I get into with a clutch feels like pushing air! It seems like nothing is there at all after driving the GT500.

The clutch in the SGT is the same clutch in the GT Mustang.

When the GT Mustang came out it was a FAST car with 300 HP. It is a fast car. But after driving the GT500 all summer and then after taking a GT Mustang for a spin, it was like, what happened? Where did the power go this car has???

I can tell you first hand that the difference between driving the GT500 and a GT MUstang is NIGHT AND DAY!

I have not driven the SGT other than through the parking lot after it was unloaded from the truck and drove it to the service department. So I have not driven one on the road to give an opinion. I have no doubt it feels better than the regular GT Mustang since it has more power and much better handling with the mods that were done to it. But the clutch in it I can say feels like pushing on air compared to the GT500 clutch. But I really like the feel of the clutch in the GT500 after driving it all summer.

Well put. I have owned and driven several GT's, last one was an 06 GT vert. I loved the feel of the car, but I did think it was under powered at times. Sure you can spin the wheels, but after that, is was just a fun car. After driving my GT500, it is like a rocket ship, almost scary to drive at times. Just when you think it is topped out, you realized you still have pedal. Bottom line, I like them all, although never driven the SGT yet. I love the looks of the SGT and to be honest, had I known about it, seen one, or read any of the hype, I may not have waited over 2 years to get my deal on the GT500, I may very well have been the happy owner of the SGT. It is a great looking car and I hope I have a couple locals to meet next summer so I can see and drive one!

For those wanting to shut this thread down, good luck, this is the free speech and purpose for a thread. So long as it does not get personal, no need to dump it. As the saying goes, if you do not like a thread, move on to the next. Sort of like switching TV channels!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The clutch is a LOT stiffer.

After driving the GT500 everyday, any other car I get into with a clutch feels like pushing air! It seems like nothing is there at all after driving the GT500. it all summer.

ha..ha... I know what you mean. I had a 2004 Mach 1. It was my DD until I replaced it with the SGT a month ago. The Mach1 had a heavy clutch. I would drive my son's 2006 V6 and it felt like something broke because it was so easy to push. And then I'd get back into the Mach1 and think something is binding because it is so stiff.

Since it's my DD, I really like the new clutch on the SGT. :happy feet:

As far as closing the thread down, we can do it by not posting here anymore.

We have the power..... :hysterical:

For those wanting to shut this thread down, good luck, this is the free speech and purpose for a thread. So long as it does not get personal, no need to dump it. As the saying goes, if you do not like a thread, move on to the next. Sort of like switching TV channels!

You are right, it is OK to compare cars. It is not OK to bash the cars that we all love. That creates hard feelings and we don't need that. These cars are 2 different machines, and both cars have there plus and minuses.

:)

You are right, it is OK to compare cars. It is not OK to bash the cars that we all love. That creates hard feelings and we don't need that. These cars are 2 different machines, and both cars have there plus and minuses.

Agree and this is the credo we have been trying to spread!

+1, but can we still bash pies and those that love them? :D

• 3 weeks later...
They are both FORDS and both SHELBYS!

THE SGT has all FORD parts added at SAI. So what makes the SGT more of a Shelby than the GT500????

Because all the FORD PARTS were installed at SAI instead of at Ford??? PLEASE!

The SGT is a regular GT Mustang with FORD racing parts installed.

Ford could have built the GT350 back in 65-66 but chose to have CS build quickly. Ford is not set up for the extremely limited production and a small, nimble, agile, company such as Shelby is. CS took the Ford 289 Hi-Po, added some magic and suspension parts, pulled the rear seat and it was a GT 350. It was built by Shelby, that is why it is a Shelby. It was built at Shelby, that is why it is a Shelby.

But I am not trying to start or end an argument. As stated I like my SGT, I wish I had the extra 10-20 K or I would also have bought the GT 500. I would have loved to have had an GT 500 convertible and envy those that do.

I choose the SGT. 500 did not appeal to me. Other choice considered was possibly a MB, or 911 (back seats too small) would have considered a Vette if it had a backseat. My car is a dd. I am currently rebuilding my hot rod a BB 56 chev with an s/c and a 4sp, 15x12 inch rear rims, desktop dyno projects about 650hp. Can you say wheelie? I absolutley LOVE my SGT and could not be happier, do what speaks to you... cars are about feelings not numbers. Even a slow car can be a kick, my old MGA was one of the funnest cars I ever had. Real car guys don't bash other makes or other enthusists decisions they ENJOY the ride!!!

post-9886-1196823332_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1196823332_thumb.jpg

I test drove the Premium GT at the same time I drove the SGT. (SGT 1st)

GT felt soft and spongy compared to the nimble handling of the SGT. Basically it felt like a nice DD with good power. When I added the "SHELBY"....case closed. Felt good driving the GT, felt GREAT driving SGT.

No regrets.

A buddy at work has a GT500. SWEET RIDE! A total beast!! :speedie:

Whichever Shelby you get, you'll love it.

One more thought... Most people think i HAVE 500 hp anyway! :headspin:

Dan

originally i was lookin in on a GT500. So i made some phone calls, but realized that several dealerships had it priced around $20,000 over the MSRP!! so i went to a local dealership and checked out one of thier GT 500's and of course it was also priced $20,000 over MSRP. But while i was there i noticed they had an SGT but i never knew they made SGT's and it was more reasonably priced too. i ended up getting a decent deal on it. so i drove home that day with an SGT instead of the GT500 and have been very satisfied ever since. no regrets. if i want more power i can always have a supercharger slapped on it at an authorized mod shop for a few more thousand and have 400hp to play with. i love its handling. plus it has the Hurst Shift already installed :spiteful:

I test drove the Premium GT at the same time I drove the SGT. (SGT 1st)

GT felt soft and spongy compared to the nimble handling of the SGT. Basically it felt like a nice DD with good power. When I added the "SHELBY"....case closed. Felt good driving the GT, felt GREAT driving SGT.

No regrets.

A buddy at work has a GT500. SWEET RIDE! A total beast!! :speedie:

Whichever Shelby you get, you'll love it.

One more thought... Most people think i HAVE 500 hp anyway! :headspin:

Dan

I did too after I narrowed my choice down to a mustang, the SGT is so much different than the reg gt. Apples and oranges.

Trying to answer which is better, SGT vs GT500 is like trying to answer which is better from the '60s, the Boss 302 vs. 429, and the Shelby GT350 vs. GT500? They each address a different need, and they each do it very well.

Once you figure out your needs, then you'll know what's best for you.

Archived