TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 mustang shelby gt v.s. 2008 shelby gt500?

mustang04

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed, passion drives this topic, but I caution you guys, sometimes you all post and you could actually scare a person a way from here and a purchase. The gt500 is a Shelby, top of the line from ford until the KR comes out, and The Shelby GT is also A Shelby. The Shelby Gt is a great car, rides well, you can get it in automatic or stick, the gt500 is stick only. there is a price difference as well. there is a color limitation on the Shelby GT as well.

Both Great Shelby's, both very different.

Amy

+1000 Thanks Amy!

Agreed, passion drives this topic, but I caution you guys, sometimes you all post and you could actually scare a person a way from here and a purchase. The gt500 is a Shelby, top of the line from ford until the KR comes out, and The Shelby GT is also A Shelby. The Shelby Gt is a great car, rides well, you can get it in automatic or stick, the gt500 is stick only. there is a price difference as well. there is a color limitation on the Shelby GT as well.

Both Great Shelby's, both very different.

Amy

Thanks Amy-

Ok I'm sold; I'd like to have one of each. :headspin:

:)

Coldy was a hall monitor in school! :hysterical:

Oh...........HE was the guy with that big club? :finger:

If your buying the car for "future" potential the Shelby GT is "possibly" more of a better bet as it is actually made at the Shelby Factory in Las Vegas Nevada and the GT500 is made at the Ford plant specifically. The Shelby GT can also come with a Shelby Factory Installed Whipple Super Charger rated at approx. 475HP++ as an option, if you want 475 HP!!!.

My .02 cents-

Explain the difference between two factory workers installing FORD parts on a new mustang?

Just because one works at one plant while the other works in a different plant has NOTHING to do with what the car is or where it is built.

They both are built with all parts furnished by Ford.

Carroll Shelby did not personally build any of these himself nor did he sit there and watch over every car being built. In fact, most of the time he not even there.

It is no different than the 40th and SS cars that will be built at different locations throughout the US.

The ONLY thing these cars share in common is that Carroll Shelby had a part in how they were going to be built and what they will look like.

So it doesn't matter which FACTORY WORKERS did the assembly on these cars, they are ALL SHELBYS!

Now, there is a chance that the SGT could possibly become more desirable in the future as a collector car, but NOT because of where it was built, but merely because of how much more limited they are in numbers.

Approx 5,500 built in 07 and limited to black or white only, and only approx 2,200 made for 08 all in Vista Blue with 70% of those estimated to be convertibles and approx 300 built in Grabber Orange for the CA market only.

Compare that to the 10,844 GT500's made for 07 + the 8,000 to be made for 08 + however many that will be made for 09.

So we are talking about 20K+ GT500's made VS less than 10K total SGT's made.

How ironic would that be?

Most 07 GT500's sold new for $15k - $30K ADM's while close to half the 5,500 07 SGT's ended up being sold at invoice and A/Z/X/D Plan with $1,000 rebate!

20 - 30 years later the SGT ends up becoming the more collectable of the bunch!

Only time will tell. Until then it is all just a guessing game on what if anything these cars will be in 20 - 30 years from now.

Me? I don't care what happens in 20 - 30 years. I bought mine to enjoy TODAY! I drive mine to enjoy NOW! So no matter what happens, I got to have my fun and thrill of owning and driving one.

If future value is a concern, don't buy any car for investment! Invest into something that will get you a good return and also earn you a lot more money over the next 20 - 30 years!

Anyone can say anything they want, but the bottomline is these are ALL SHELBYS no matter what anyone thinks or says. None of these are any more of a Shelby over the other. They are ALL Shelbys. The only difference is they are different models and trim packages. Nothing more, nothing less!

Brothers and sisters,We all know the facts as of today,Not what the future holds for resale that is purely speculation and opinion!We all know where each was built,By now the highs and lows of each,Please forget the debate,most of the time we are only stating opinions amongst ourselves.We each bought what we bought for different reasons,THEY ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CARS,Only things that join them are ,Ford,Shelby,Passion and these forums!Screw the debate,You will never change the other opinion to yours!Now get out and drive these damn things and show our real enemies what's up!

Explain the difference between two factory workers installing FORD parts on a new mustang?

Just because one works at one plant while the other works in a different plant has NOTHING to do with what the car is or where it is built.

Carroll Shelby did not personally build any of these himself nor did he sit there and watch over every car being built. In fact, most of the time he not even there.

It is no different than the 40th and SS cars that will be built at different locations throughout the US.

The ONLY thing these cars share in common is that Carroll Shelby had a part in how they were going to be built and what they will look like.

So it doesn't matter which FACTORY WORKERS did the assembly on these cars, they are ALL SHELBYS!

Now, there is a chance that the SGT could possibly become more desirable in the future as a collector car, but NOT because of where it was built, but merely because of how much more limited they are in numbers.

Approx 5,500 built in 07 and limited to black or white only, and only approx 2,200 made for 08 all in Vista Blue with 70% of those estimated to be convertibles and approx 300 built in Grabber Orange for the CA market only.

Compare that to the 10,844 GT500's made for 07 + the 8,000 to be made for 08 + however many that will be made for 09.

Most 07 GT500's sold new for $15k - $30K ADM's while close to half the 5,500 07 SGT's ended up being sold at invoice and A/Z/X/D Plan with $1,000 rebate!

Only time will tell. Until then it is all just a guessing game on what if anything these cars will be in 20 - 30 years from now.

Me? I don't care what happens in 20 - 30 years. I bought mine to enjoy TODAY! I drive mine to enjoy NOW! So no matter what happens, I got to have my fun and thrill of owning and driving one.

If future value is a concern, don't buy any car for investment! Invest into something that will get you a good return and also earn you a lot more money over the next 20 - 30 years!

Anyone can say anything they want, but the bottomline is these are ALL SHELBYS no matter what anyone thinks or says. None of these are any more of a Shelby over the other. They are ALL Shelbys. The only difference is they are different models and trim packages. Nothing more, nothing less!

+1000 ya just gotta love a well worded and logical post! Bravo, says it all..... expect one last caviot... just to toss it out there, all those guys who DO think these cars will have some insane value in 20-30 years, and those that swear the 07's will have the most value, remember that most the 07's also had the highest ADM factor~!! Meaning, you best HOPE they are worth more, just to match the 08 and 09 in relative value! I hope they (all the Shelby's) indeed fetch a value some day, not for me but for anyone who owns one. Ok, enough on that, just some other post got my blood boiling! I am good now.....

There are a couple of minor differences. One factory worker works for Ford and is installing Ford parts. The other works for Shelby and installs ford, Shelby, Hurst and other parts (minor items such as hood scoops, grilles, door seal plates, plaques, stripes, hood pins, letters, etc)

Now before anyone feels then need to hammer my response. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying they are a little different. That's all. Kinda like the 67 GT 350 was different from the 68 Shelby GT 500. One was built on the West Coast and one was built in Michigan. Both Shelbys, just a little different.

For some these minor differences will mean a lot (and possibly, but not necessarily, worth more). For others, it won't make any difference.

+1000 ya just gotta love a well worded and logical post! Bravo, says it all..... expect one last caviot... just to toss it out there, all those guys who DO think these cars will have some insane value in 20-30 years, and those that swear the 07's will have the most value, remember that most the 07's also had the highest ADM factor~!! Meaning, you best HOPE they are worth more, just to match the 08 and 09 in relative value! I hope they (all the Shelby's) indeed fetch a value some day, not for me but for anyone who owns one. Ok, enough on that, just some other post got my blood boiling! I am good now.....

Except...some, like me, paid less than MSRP for our '07's.

Now my 2 cents on the main discussion. I agree that Shelbys are Shelbys. They all have SHELBY on the rear end. It's cool to me that mine was actually shipped to Shelby in Vegas to be converted, but that doesn't make it any more a Shelby than those finished in Michigan.

The Flat Rock Mi. factory worker gets to see and work on the car from "GROUND UP" to complete Build.

Not the case with the shelby factory work on the Mustangs..............................

We all know the facts show our real enemies what's up!

The fact is that Pie is better than Cake. Cake is the enemy he speaks of. Cake just wants to be Pie but just cannot cut it. Pie will demolish Cake in any given situation. Pie can be eaten on its own or as a dessert or even as your one and only meal. Cake is well....just Cake. To any Cake lover's out there....just stop, eat Pie because I said so and Pie is better.

:hysterical:

Though everyone has valid points here I think we all share the same passion for the "marque". We could debate this till we all grow old and everyone, in one way or another, would be correct. The "cool" factor of SGT's, SS's, 40th. is a definate. I believe it in no way diminishes the GT500's stature. Without the delvelopment of the GT500 who know's if the Hertz or SGT would have ever come back to life. We can all credit the GT500 for everything we have now. Look at the choices. And more to come :happy feet: It' really a great time to be a "Shelby" enthusiast!

Here a a couple of excerpts from Wikipedia:

The first Shelby version of the Mustang appeared in 1965. All '65 Shelbys were painted Ford "Wimbledon White". Although most of the 1965 Shelby's you see today have Le Mans stripes, less than 40% of the 1965 GT 350's came factory equipped with them. All GT 350s featured rocker panel stripes with the GT350 name. The engine was a modified K-code 289ci Windsor V8 with special "Cobra" valve covers, tri-Y headers, a special intake manifold and Holley carburetor increased power from 271 to 325 hp (162 to 228 kW). Approximately the first 300 GT 350s produced were "rear battery" cars, meaning the car's batteries were trunk-mounted. Customer complaints of acid-fumes led to the creation of the Cobra Battery Caps, which vented the acid fumes outside of the car by way of hoses exiting through the trunk floor panels. An estimated 50 1965 GT 350s (around serial number 200) came equipped with the very rare Cobra battery caps. Vehicle production changed shortly thereafter, leaving the battery in the engine compartment. Today, the most desirable of the 1965 GT 350s are the units with factory installed rear batteries

The 1966 was differentiated in body color (non-white versions were introduced - colors included blue, red, green and black, as well as the original white) and trim. The "Le Mans" stripes were continued as an option, as in 1965. It featured special quarter-panel windows and rear air scoops on each side and an optional automatic transmission. A fold-down rear seat was now standard as well. Where early 1965 cars had black engine blocks, 1966 and later cars had the 289 engine painted blue.** The first 252 GT-350s for 1966 were "carry-over" cars. They had the 1965 Ford Mustang Bodies and 1965 Ford Mustang serial numbers under their Shelby serial numbers. They had mostly 1965 features including standard Koni shock and Engines painted black. Blue engines did not occur in 1966 until after these 252 "carry-over" models were produced. 1966 production was 1373 fastbacks including (2) prototypes and (4) drag cars and (252) "carry-over" models with Ford Mustang 1965 bodies. 1001 Hertz fastbacks were produced including (2) prototypes. 4 convertibles were also produced for a total of 2378 units for 1966.

1966 Shelby GT350H

Sapphire Blue 1966 Shelby GT350HShelby struck a deal with the Hertz Corporation to produce a special line of GT350s for rent which were subsequently sold to the public after their rental-car lives were finished. These 'GT350H' cars are quite rare and sought-after today, with some examples selling for more than $120,000. Shelby produced 1000 of these cars: 800 in Raven Black, and 50 each in Candy Apple Red, Wimbledon White, Sapphire Blue and Ivy Green. All Hertz cars featured gold LeMans stripes and rocker panel stripes. Early "Hertz" cars were available with 4 speed manual transmissions until so many cars were returned from rental with burned and broken clutch assemblies that all of the later cars shipped to Hertz were equipped with an automatic transmission

The new 1967 Mustang was followed with a new Shelby. It featured a 1967 Mercury Cougar tail light panel minus the chrome trim, a flip-up spoiler, and two sets of air scoops on each side. This was also the first American car to feature a factory roll bar.

This year also saw the introduction of the GT500 alongside the continued GT350. The new GT500 featured a 428-in³ (7 L) big-block V8. This is also one of the most famous Shelby Mustangs. A modified GT500 clone, known as "Eleanor", was featured alongside Nicholas Cage in the 2000 remake of Gone in 60 Seconds.

A convertible prototype of the GT500 was made in 1967, which was designated to be scrapped. Before Ford Motor Co. could destroy the prototype, it was stolen. The car was eventually recovered by Ford and sold as '68.

The Shelby GT350 Mustangs were powered by a 302 cubic-inch V8 while the GT500 came equipped with the 428 cubic-inch Police Interceptor engine. In February of 1968, the GT500-KR became available and was considered the ultimate Shelby. Under the hood was a 428 cubic-inch Cobra-Jet V8 which produced 360 horsepower. The name 'KR' meaning 'King of the Road' was a quick marketing move by Carroll Shelby who had caught wind that Chevrolet was about to unleash a marketing campaign that highlighted the 1968 Corvette as the 'King of the Road.' After a quick copyright search, they found that the 'KR' and 'King of the Road' had not been copyrighted. Stickers, photos, and decals were quickly made by Shelby and his crew and placed on the new GT500.[citation needed]

Located on the hood are function air-scoops which channel air to the engine. A 'Monte Carlo' bracing bar helps stiffen the car and chassis as the engine produces a large amount of torque. There were only 21 KR's produced with the white convertible top.

1969-1970

Carroll Shelby terminated his agreement with Ford in the summer of 1969. The GT350 and GT500 for the 1969–70 model years received extensive facelifts, the body alone increasing in length by 4 inches. Ford was heavily involved with design and style decisions, with Shelby having very little input. Production of Shelby Mustangs ceased with the 1970 model year. The 1970 models were in fact left over 1969 models. VIN tags from 1969 Shelby's were removed and replaced with 1970 Shelby VIN's with careful supervision from FBI agents

Long sustained Golf Clap :happy feet:

Here is my expert Shelby-Guru opinion:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Gee Adam, I can agree with most of this :banghead: , but lines 4 and 5 aren't quite clear to me. I'm trying to read between the lines. :hysterical2: . I think you need a bigger trailer to haul all those accessories. Car really looks good. :happy feet: .

Dave

And don't forget the new 08 Barret-Jackson Shelby GT, black w/red stripes, with special badging, 100 units to be built.

The only thing I don't understand on the GT500 build is why Ford SVT and Shelby didn't sequentially number the cars. I know SVT has a different way of numbering them. It just seems it would have been easier to number the cars as they came off the line. When Ford built the Shelbys in 68, 69 and 70, didn't they sequentially number them?

Dave

There are a couple of minor differences. One factory worker works for Ford and is installing Ford parts. The other works for Shelby and installs ford, Shelby, Hurst and other parts (minor items such as hood scoops, grilles, door seal plates, plaques, stripes, hood pins, letters, etc)

Now before anyone feels then need to hammer my response. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying they are a little different. That's all. Kinda like the 67 GT 350 was different from the 68 Shelby GT 500. One was built on the West Coast and one was built in Michigan. Both Shelbys, just a little different.

For some these minor differences will mean a lot (and possibly, but not necessarily, worth more). For others, it won't make any difference.

:redcard: If someone EVER said to me that a Shelby was worth any less because of where it was built I would kick him in the @ss and send him home!! Gimme a break!!

Archived