TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 mustang shelby gt v.s. 2008 shelby gt500?

mustang04

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I looking to buy an 08 mustang and am wondering what to get. The gt500 or the shelby gt? Which one's better and why?

What's the MSRP for the gt?

Future potential for the GT500 is MUCH better than that of the GT (different engine and trans - much more upgradeable should you so desire).

Not exactly sure what MSRP is for the GT at this point, but I believe its somewhere around $8k over a Mustang GT Premium (which is about $29000).

Go for the gusto - get the GT500 :)

Again, apples and oranges. The GT 500 is raw horsepower. The GT is a very well balanced handling machine with sufficient power. You may also want to take into consideration gas mileage, and INSURANCE! Many GT 500s are selling for 5-15 K over MSRP. You can buy a 2007 SGT for invoice. So you can save over 15-20 K by buying the SGT and have plenty of money available for power upgrades. You can easily raise the SGT to 400-450 HP with bolt ons from SAI (supercharger, etc.) and still have a lighter and better handling vehicle.

And the Shelby GT is a Shelby, the GT 500 is a Ford !

If I sound like a prejudiced SGT owner you are right! However, I would have bought a GT 500 convertible in a heartbeat if I had the extra 20-25 K!

Again, apples and oranges. The GT 500 is raw horsepower. The GT is a very well balanced handling machine with sufficient power. You may also want to take into consideration gas mileage, and INSURANCE! Many GT 500s are selling for 5-15 K over MSRP. You can buy a 2007 SGT for invoice. So you can save over 15-20 K by buying the SGT and have plenty of money available for power upgrades. You can easily raise the SGT to 400-450 HP with bolt ons from SAI (supercharger, etc.) and still have a lighter and better handling vehicle.

If I sound like a prejudiced SGT owner you are right! However, I would have bought a GT 500 convertible in a heartbeat if I had the extra 20-25 K!

They are both FORDS and both SHELBYS!

THE SGT has all FORD parts added at SAI. So what makes the SGT more of a Shelby than the GT500????

Because all the FORD PARTS were installed at SAI instead of at Ford??? PLEASE!

The SGT is a regular GT Mustang with FORD racing parts installed.

BTW, do you know WHY all the FORD parts were installed at SAI instead of just being done at Ford?

Because Ford said it would have taken them 3 years to set up to produce this car where SAI said they could be set up in 6 months. That is why it was even sent to SAI. So Ford could get it to market in 6 months instead of 3 years.

:redcard: What's up with that? :rant:

Ford makes ALL Mustangs; GT and GT500 packages are designed, inspired and owned by Carroll Shelby himself. Are you saying that the '68-'70 Shelbys are not Shelby's either? :doh:

:redcard: What's up with that? :rant:

Ford makes ALL Mustangs; GT and GT500 packages are designed, inspired and owned by Carroll Shelby himself. Are you saying that the '68-'70 Shelbys are not Shelby's either? :doh:

I guess this would mean all the 40th and SS packages done at any of the authorized mod shops won't be true Shelby's since they were not done at SAI. LOL

What does better mileage? gt or gt500?

They are both FORDS and both SHELBYS!

THE SGT has all FORD parts added at SAI. So what makes the SGT more of a Shelby than the GT500????

Because all the FORD PARTS were installed at SAI instead of at Ford??? PLEASE!

The SGT is a regular GT Mustang with FORD racing parts installed.

+1

What does better mileage? gt or gt500?

Shelby GT = 15 City 23 Highway

Shelby GT500 = 14 City 20 Highway

Buying any type of performance car the last thing anyone should be concerned about is gas mileage. Surprisingly though, these cars get excellent mileage for what they are.

I was expecting 8 on mine and I average 13 in town and over 20 on the highway. This is a GT500.

I looking to buy an 08 mustang and am wondering what to get. The gt500 or the shelby gt? Which one's better and why?

Buy whichever suits your budget and I am sure you will be happy with either, If funds are not an issue then the GT500 with SS package and leave it at that :)

I like the GT500, it was my chice because it has the 5.4L engiine and Ford GT heads

I feel the engine has more room to grow and at the delivered stock power is not being twisted as much as if you tried to get the same power from the 4.6. This equals longer reliability and longer life in my opinion

This was my choice over the Roush or Saleen for the same reason, second being the S H E L B Y legendary Name.

The are both Fords and both S H E L B Y's

my $.02

The Shelby GT is a bump above the normal GT, but you can take a normal GT and make it a Shelby GT with a few bucks as all parts are available. The GT500 is the top dog (short of the KR and SS) and pretty much gived you everything, short of those who still seek to produce max HP. Big difference in almost every area, price, HP, speed, gas.......

Lots of great discussion and points here. All are just about on the mark.

You can get a SGT for about $36-$40k right about now. As mentioned, that's stock at about 319 HP. Some say it feels much more than 319 HP. As mentioned, you can have SAI add more power or do it yourself and take that to over 500 HP. SAI did mine and I am told I have around 525 HP, as is. Tasca Ford will take it closer to 600 HP in coming weeks. I will likely do that, get the dyno sheet, and then have them take it back to 525 HP. There are many posts about concern of engine issues if keeping the 4.6L over 500 HP and working it hard for too long. Take a look at my picasa site in my signature to see an example of what you can do with mods for a SGT. I love my car. The SGT's come with a Shelby badge and a Shelby number (CSM). It was marketed as a daily driver of sort.

As mentioned, you can get a GT500 for in the $50's+ and it comes at 500 HP already with a 5.4L engine that can handle a lot more max HP than the 4.6L. I heard Tasca Ford took one to over 900 HP. As mentioned, the handling is better on the SGT as it's 1.5 inches lower and I think it has different lowering kits in the front and rear. However, you can do the same with the GT500 as they do with the SS. I liked the front end of the GT500 much better than the SGT for a while until I saw my car completed (again, see my picasa site). And, I even fell in love with the ultimate SuperSnake, again, until I saw my car finished.

So it all boils down to looks, where do you want to start and where do you want to end. If you just want to say you own a Shelby, go with the SGT and add mods down the road. I think the SGT has more modification options, but I could be wrong. If you want a 900+ HP rod, go with the GT500. If you want the ultimate, go with the SS or mod your SGT like mine (LOL).

No matter what you do, you won't lose, you'll own a Shelby and you'll have the best memories and a permanent smile for life. Both cars are incredible, look awesome and are Shelby's.

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of great discussion and points here. All are just about on the mark.

You can get a SGT for about $36-$40k right about now. As mentioned, that's stock at about 319 HP. Some say it feels much more than 319 HP. As mentioned, you can have SAI add more power or do it yourself and take that to over 500 HP. SAI did mine and I am told I have around 525 HP, as is. Tasca Ford will take it closer to 600 HP in coming weeks. I will likely do that, get the dyno sheet, and then have them take it back to 525 HP. There are many posts about concern of engine issues if keeping the 4.6L over 500 HP and working it hard for too long. Take a look at my picasa site in my signature to see an example of what you can do with mods for a SGT. I love my car. The SGT's come with a Shelby badge and a Shelby number (CSM). It was marketed as a daily driver of sort.

As mentioned, you can get a GT500 for in the $50's+ and it comes at 500 HP already with a 5.4L engine that can handle a lot more max HP than the 4.6L. I heard Tasca Ford took one to over 900 HP. As mentioned, the handling is better on the SGT as it's 1.5 inches lower and I think it has different lowering kits in the front and rear. However, you can do the same with the GT500 as they do with the SS. I liked the front end of the GT500 much better than the SGT for a while until I saw my car completed (again, see my picasa site). And, I even fell in love with the ultimate SuperSnake, again, until I saw my car finished.

So it all boils down to looks, where do you want to start and where do you want to end. If you just want to say you own a Shelby, go with the SGT and add mods down the road. I think the SGT has more modification options, but I could be wrong. If you want a 900+ HP rod, go with the GT500. If you want the ultimate, go with the SS or mod your SGT like mine (LOL).

No matter what you do, you won't lose, you'll own a Shelby and you'll have the best memories and a permanent smile for life. Both cars are incredible, look awesome and are Shelby's.

+ 1

I at first wanted a GT500, I did not even know the SGT existed. I went to my local dealership one Sat. morning to get the oil changed in the Lightning. while I was there a GT500 was delivered that was not sold. It was Black with Silver stripes. looked bad a$$. I checked it out in depth and even drove it. As soon as the lightning was done, I went home. Later the following week I went back to the dealership and next to it was a SGT. gave it the once over, and immediately knew I wanted one of these, Just realized I was going to have to unload the "L" to get it. Bought a SGT a couple weeks later and am very happy I did. Would not even consider a GT500 now. Yeah, the GT500 is fast, but these " little Brothers" as most of you Ford GT500 fans call us are quick. You guys may be the straight line kings but these cars are bad a$$ on the track. They are both awesome cars, it just depends what you plan on doing with it. They are as others have said comparing apples to oranges. my $.02

History does repeat itself! This so reminds me of the old GT350 vs. GT500 debates of old. Heck, even today, if you hang out with some of the old guys. It's just silly and trying to argue with someone that is passionate about their car, GT500 or SGT, is an exercise in who has more time to post! It's very VERY simple. The cars as VERY VERY different and built for different purposes you weigh the two see which one gets you excited more, and it's not always about HP or where one or the other is built, but which one resonates with you. Then buy it! Who cares what everyone else thinks! They made their decision now you make yours.

Future potential for the GT500 is MUCH better than that of the GT (different engine and trans - much more upgradeable should you so desire).

Not exactly sure what MSRP is for the GT at this point, but I believe its somewhere around $8k over a Mustang GT Premium (which is about $29000).

Go for the gusto - get the GT500 :)

If your buying the car for "future" potential the Shelby GT is "possibly" more of a better bet as it is actually made at the Shelby Factory in Las Vegas Nevada and the GT500 is made at the Ford plant specifically. The Shelby GT can also come with a Shelby Factory Installed Whipple Super Charger rated at approx. 475HP++ as an option, if you want 475 HP!!!.

My .02 cents-

History does repeat itself! This so reminds me of the old GT350 vs. GT500 debates of old. Heck, even today, if you hang out with some of the old guys. It's just silly and trying to argue with someone that is passionate about their car, GT500 or SGT, is an exercise in who has more time to post! It's very VERY simple. The cars as VERY VERY different and built for different purposes you weigh the two see which one gets you excited more, and it's not always about HP or where one or the other is built, but which one resonates with you. Then buy it! Who cares what everyone else thinks! They made their decision now you make yours.

Agreed, passion drives this topic, but I caution you guys, sometimes you all post and you could actually scare a person a way from here and a purchase. The gt500 is a Shelby, top of the line from ford until the KR comes out, and The Shelby GT is also A Shelby. The Shelby Gt is a great car, rides well, you can get it in automatic or stick, the gt500 is stick only. there is a price difference as well. there is a color limitation on the Shelby GT as well.

Both Great Shelby's, both very different.

Amy

Shelby GT = 15 City 23 Highway

Shelby GT500 = 14 City 20 Highway

Buying any type of performance car the last thing anyone should be concerned about is gas mileage. Surprisingly though, these cars get excellent mileage for what they are.

I was expecting 8 on mine and I average 13 in town and over 20 on the highway. This is a GT500.

Amazingly enough, I am getting 19+ on my city traffic commute, and 27+ on the highway. Mine is an SGT.

To answer the original question, buy whatever your budget permits. You won't be disappointed either way. I was going to buy a new M3, but I chose an SGT and kept $22K (+ interest) in my pocket and am loving every minute of it!

Shelby GT500 = 500 HP (5.4L V8 with supercharger)

Shelby GT = 319 HP (4.6L V8 with cold air intake)

Yes, I do own SGT #4990, so I may be biased, but...

Horsepower alone is only 1/2 of the equation. The SGT has an aluminum block 4.6, while the GT500 has an iron block 5.4 with a whipple blower, so it is much heavier, particularly in the nose. Also, the SGT has the Ford Racing suspension (springs, dampers, anti-sway bars, cross-tower brace, etc.), which was designed by the same guys who designed the suspension for the FRC500 race car.

Both cars are great tools, but have separate purposes. Decide what you want, and you won't go wrong.

Folks, don't get sucked into this debate, it creates a negative, hostel & hatefulness between passionate Shelby members. The Shelby Auto forum board members already hate us just for this reason and they don't want to merge with us & for Team Shelby to succeed, we need to appreciate each others cars for what they are without being critical or demeaning. Remember they are both Shelby’s & they were built for a individual niche markets & I love them both.

Folks, don't get sucked into this debate, it creates a negative, hostel & hatefulness between passionate Shelby members. The Shelby Auto forum board members already hate us just for this reason and they don't want to merge with us & for Team Shelby to succeed, we need to appreciate each others cars for what they are without being critical or demeaning. Remember they are both Shelby’s & they were built for a individual niche markets & I love them both.

OK

that said

get one of each

im coming over from the shelby board and have read all the post in this thread. 99% of them were dead on the mark. i dont see where a SGT or a GT500 guy could have a problem with THIS thread. if the debates are this intelligently worded and no one attacks each others ride this is great. thanks for keeping an eye on the thread CWHOTROD.

michael morris

Archived