TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warranty claim after 160 miles

SteelSteeds

When I opened my garage door to pull in last night, I spotted a large puddle on the floor. It had obviously been there from the previous night, and I just hadn't seen it when I pulled out in the morning. It was from the right front corner of the car, and was a thick liquid, felt like oil, but was clear and odorless. When I popped the hood, I could see spots of fluid near the a/c compressor, and dried splatters around that area underhood. This morning there was more fluid on the floor, probably 3-4 cups worth.

I have an appointment at the dealer in an hour. My best guess is perhaps the a/c compressor is losing some internal fluid. I could be way off, but that's the only thing I could think of in that area.

I'll post updates when I know more... :banghead:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I opened my garage door to pull in last night, I spotted a large puddle on the floor. It had obviously been there from the previous night, and I just hadn't seen it when I pulled out in the morning. It was from the right front corner of the car, and was a thick liquid, felt like oil, but was clear and odorless. When I popped the hood, I could see spots of fluid near the a/c compressor, and dried splatters around that area underhood. This morning there was more fluid on the floor, probably 3-4 cups worth.

I have an appointment at the dealer in an hour. My best guess is perhaps the a/c compressor is losing some internal fluid. I could be way off, but that's the only thing I could think of in that area.

I'll post updates when I know more... :banghead:

sounds like freon ( if thats how you spell it) odorless and clear. feels like oil. is your a/c working properly?

sounds like freon ( if thats how you spell it) odorless and clear. feels like oil. is your a/c working properly?

Freon is a gas..There is oil in the A/C systems for lubracation for the seals. I doubt 3-4 cups worth though in the A/C system. Just alittle bit of oil spreads along way.

When he was at my house the day after he got his car, he appeared to have a small leak on the left side of the motor at the fitting where the 2 big hoses go to the left. The leak appeared to me to be in the fitting seal, not from the hoses.

Still waiting to hear from the dealer, they had it in the shop two hours ago, but no info yet.

I don't know if it's the same leak Rob and I saw. I cleaned that up and it didn't happen again. But, I also haven't driven it as far as I did that day, so perhaps if I drove some distance it would become more apparent. My commute to work is only 3.5 miles, so the car barely has time to get warm.

I did stick my finger into the coolant bottle, to see if it had the same feel as what was on my floor. It didn't. But, what was on my floor had been there all day, so maybe if some of the water evaporated/soaked into the floor, it would feel slimier? It didn't act like any of the anti-freeze I've used over the years, but I know they are using different stuff these days on the OEM level.

Well, it was indeed one of the hose clamps. The initial pressure test came back fine, they had to run it (3 miles) to get it warm, then pressure test it again before the leak showed up. I asked them if they would replace it with a better quality clamp, and they said no. But, when I got home and popped the hood, check out what I found:

post-2623-1192599665_thumb.jpg

I guess I'll have to get a matching set, it looks a little redneck like this....

Well, it was indeed one of the hose clamps. The initial pressure test came back fine, they had to run it (3 miles) to get it warm, then pressure test it again before the leak showed up. I asked them if they would replace it with a better quality clamp, and they said no. But, when I got home and popped the hood, check out what I found:

I guess I'll have to get a matching set, it looks a little redneck like this....

DITTO! Same thing with mine over a year ago after delivery. The SVT techs told me that Ford should never have used those cheap "spring" clamps. The pressure is just to great for them. This has been a problem for many GT500's.

Ford are you listening?!

Freon is a gas..There is oil in the A/C systems for lubracation for the seals. I doubt 3-4 cups worth though in the A/C system. Just alittle bit of oil spreads along way.

Glad you found the cause and I will keep an eye on mine now. Thanks. Joker your right freon is a gas but in my experiance with a fast leak it can create a clear oil like fluid that is what steelsteeds was talking about.

The 1st day I brought my 08 home I noticed I was leaking anti freeze. I wasn't to happy about it. The dealer was very good and got me in quickly. I thought it was probably a clamp that was not lined up properly and I was right. I hope that some of these people at ford read these forums and figure out that a clamp needs to be placed properly so as not to be on the raised edge causing it to leak. This appears to be taking place to often.

Nice...I have about 600 miles on my 2008 'Vert, and mine was hissing like a snake (no pun intended) when I got out of my car today after about a 60 mile drive. I popped the hood and there was a milky white fluid drying all over my engine compartment. As the noise was still evident I tracked it down to the 90deg bend hose..just above the one in the picture above. This is the intercooler hose correct? I let it cool down and since I wasn't sure what to do with it yet (not to mention get home) I put another old fashion hose clamp right next to the worthless spring clamp.

So, now that we know what the problem is, what is the fix? Is there some high performance clamps out there that look good? I can assure you I will be looking for any TSB's when I get to work tomorrow. Also, since this fluid (antifreeze right?) was leaking, do I just check the overflow to ensure the proper levels? Or is there some mystery way to get a proper coolant level since there is an intercooler involved?

Thanks for the verification, and hopefully remedy to this stupid issue...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the antifreeze leak also. White dried spots under the car and a little under the hood.

First thing I did was look on this web sight to see if anyone else had that problem.

Can't quite tell exactly were its leaking and it doesn't do it evertime I drive it.

I'm printing this post and pics for the mechanic.

Thanks

At least it was an easy fix and you are back on the road. My GT came off the carrier spraying anti-freeze everywhere. It made a mess of the engine compartment and the underside. The heater hose under the intake manifold was leaking. They had to completely remove the intake manifold and injectors just to get at it and fix the problem. A real bummer on a car you ordered and the first time you see it, it is a mess!!

At least it was an easy fix and you are back on the road. My GT came off the carrier spraying anti-freeze everywhere. It made a mess of the engine compartment and the underside. The heater hose under the intake manifold was leaking. They had to completely remove the intake manifold and injectors just to get at it and fix the problem. A real bummer on a car you ordered and the first time you see it, it is a mess!!

I agree a real bummer on a brand new minty mint car. I had the same disturbing find when I looked under the hood. It dripped down to the chassis and all. The srew type clamp fixed it for me. I painted it black and slid the spring clamp toward the neck of the inlet so they are side by side....no more leak. The good news is it wan't severe enough to raise engine temp at all so no harm done...just some cleanup.

The dealer replaced both clamps with those crappy screw clamps. They are ordering replacement clamps to put back on. Not sure the new will be any different, but its worth a try.

Those "crappy screw clamps" hold better than the crappy spring clamps Ford installed at the factory! I would warn against putting the stock type back on, you risk the same problem again.

Those "crappy screw clamps" hold better than the crappy spring clamps Ford installed at the factory! I would warn against putting the stock type back on, you risk the same problem again.

I know they will hold better, but they look terrible, on a new car

• 1 month later...

Old thread....

But add my 08 to the leaker list. It was leaking when it came off the the truck. But, it only leaked when the engine was cold. I had noticed the splatters on the valve cover, battery, everything on that side of the engine the first time I opened the hood at the dealer. It had 3 miles on it.

I had cleaned it off twice in the week I have owned it. 400 miles. No leaks when hot, but I found it today. The rear of the twin hoses nearest the oil fill cap. I replaced all 4 spring hose clamps with the worm gear type clamps. I did both ends of each hose. I just did it myself rather than drive 30 miles to the dealership just to wait 2 hours+ for them to do it. Cost less than $5 for the 4 clamps.

I plan on ordering some stainless steel T-bolt clamps. They have a look that will better match the car and they are also built stronger. Most are SFI rated and the NHRA requires them on most cars that need a certified chassis.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

sme-240175_w.jpg

This problem with spring clamps as gone on for YEARS with Ford. Over 6 years ago I bought a new F350 dually with a diesel engone. Same problem, but it was the lower radiator hose spring clamp. I took that one to the dealer at 800 miles because the clamp was glued to the hose. The lower hose had to come off and my F350 holds 8 gallons of coolant. I let them replace all that at their expense.

The clamp they installed is actually the best clamp you could use...... These spring steel clamps from the factory have been a known failure from the beginning, but they are still using them. We have actually replaced overheated(destroyed) motors due to these clamps failing.

You need to repolace that clamp.....as the hose expands from heat, the clamp won't and it will eventualy cut your hose right at every slot on teh band. You have tow choices, use a similar clamp where the clamp gear tracks on dents in the band (not slots as you now have) and the underneath of the band is smooth or use a T-Bolt clamp with spring pre-load this is a much better choice, the spring will compress as the hose increases in OD and won't cut your hose........if you notice,the original clamps also expand under heat. :redcard:

Old thread....

But add my 08 to the leaker list. It was leaking when it came off the the truck. But, it only leaked when the engine was cold. I had noticed the splatters on the valve cover, battery, everything on that side of the engine the first time I opened the hood at the dealer. It had 3 miles on it.

I had cleaned it off twice in the week I have owned it. 400 miles. No leaks when hot, but I found it today. The rear of the twin hoses nearest the oil fill cap. I replaced all 4 spring hose clamps with the worm gear type clamps. I did both ends of each hose. I just did it myself rather than drive 30 miles to the dealership just to wait 2 hours+ for them to do it. Cost less than $5 for the 4 clamps.

I plan on ordering some stainless steel T-bolt clamps. They have a look that will better match the car and they are also built stronger. Most are SFI rated and the NHRA requires them on most cars that need a certified chassis.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

sme-240175_w.jpg

This problem with spring clamps as gone on for YEARS with Ford. Over 6 years ago I bought a new F350 dually with a diesel engone. Same problem, but it was the lower radiator hose spring clamp. I took that one to the dealer at 800 miles because the clamp was glued to the hose. The lower hose had to come off and my F350 holds 8 gallons of coolant. I let them replace all that at their expense.

A T-Bolt clamp like that w/o a spring preload won't expand as much as the hose and nipple and could eventualy end up cutting your hose!!!! On all cooling systems you need a clamp that can expand at the same rate as the hose it is holding against the nipple.

Archived