TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Horsepower suppression chip?

funkyjt

I purchased my Gt500 in April and have about 1050 pleasurable miles logged on it. A salesman told me that a computer chip suppresses the horsepower to 335 for the first 1000 miles and an additional 165 horses kicks in afterwards. Does anyone know if this is fact?

Thanks

I purchased my Gt500 in April and have about 1050 pleasurable miles logged on it. A salesman told me that a computer chip suppresses the horsepower to 335 for the first 1000 miles and an additional 165 horses kicks in afterwards. Does anyone know if this is fact?

Thanks

I don't know much but I would call BS on this one. It has been said that you pick up a little power after driving a bit but once the supercharger kicks on you are most of the way there. If he said another 20-50HP after about 1K miles then maybe....but I think it takes far less than that for the computer to get itself trained etc. If you want more power call a tuner and fet a tune to put in there (intake and pulley will help even more). I believe the sales man didn't know what he was talking about or was just full of BS - take your pick.

Realize most sales people have never driven or even been on a ride in one of these cars. I took the lady I have worked with locally for a ride in mine when i first got it and she was the only sales person in the dealer to have been on a ride in one. She had a ball too and commented on how different from the GT it really was. Don't take this wrong - I am not sales the sales people don't know something about the car....I'm just saying most don't know as much as those of us that are really interested in them do. My 3 yr old was pointing out engine parts to a sales person at the dealer one day...."That's the supercharger and over here is where the anti-lock brakes are controled etc. It was pretty funny when he got to the intercooler "water holder" and the sales man tried to tell him it was for the radiator. You would have thought the guy tried to take his candy. Kyle was having none of that!

Thanks

It is a shame that the people selling these cars know nothing about them.

He is in ref. to the "Valet Tune" that the car is delivered with. There is a full description of what and how the tune works and disabled in your owners manuel.

Most have seen different results, but my "Valet Tune" was dissabled once I reached 14 miles. My car had 8 miles on it when I drove off the lot. Some "Valet Tunes" are disabled after 5 consecutive starts.

The "Valet Tune" doesn't allow the car to rev over 4000 rpm's which detunes the power and don't make any boost.

This was done after so many delievery drivers and dealership employees were caught doing donut's, burnouts, and abusing the cars once delieved.

How many miles were on your car when you bought it?

It should release after 14 miles while driving the car.

Thanks

The car will not allow boost for the first 5 CONSECUTIVE miles or 50 key starts, whichever comes first. Your dealer has his facts a bit mixed up.

Archived