TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Exhaust

Dennis70Mach

Hello all, the GT500 that I ordered isn't here yet (build date of 11-5 through 11-12) :waiting: , but I'm planning some mods at this point. The biggest one is a change in the exhaust system. The stock exhaust seems to be too quiet and not enough rumble. I'm looking for a lower rumble and louder exhaust. I've been looking back through prior posts and it seems a lot of people like the Bassani exhaust sound. However, I haven't been able to find a sound clip of the 3 inch Bassani after cat system or the Bassani axle back mufflers on a GT500. Doese anyone have either of these on their cars or know where a good sound clip is?

Man the SLP loudmouths have a place in my heart - sounds like the perfect mustang to me!

When you are cruising around town and not in the throttle much the exhaust basically disappears.

However when you punch it it sounds awesome!! :yahoo:

Also it gives a nice little "bark" when you 1st start it up and when it's idling you can hear the exhaust "count the cylinders off".

If you are into something a "little" tamer but still sounds really good I suggest you look into the Ford Racing SVT1 muffler set that are

coming on the KR. Cloud9 has a set of these on his car and they look right and sound right (just not as loud).

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9950

Hello all, the GT500 that I ordered isn't here yet (build date of 11-5 through 11-12) :waiting: , but I'm planning some mods at this point. The biggest one is a change in the exhaust system. The stock exhaust seems to be too quiet and not enough rumble. I'm looking for a lower rumble and louder exhaust. I've been looking back through prior posts and it seems a lot of people like the Bassani exhaust sound. However, I haven't been able to find a sound clip of the 3 inch Bassani after cat system or the Bassani axle back mufflers on a GT500. Doese anyone have either of these on their cars or know where a good sound clip is?

I installed the SLP Loudmouths

they were the best bang for ther buck for me

here they are on my car

th_MVI_0431.jpg

sounds good

I like them and the best part

NO DRONE!

did I mention there is NO DRONE?

I'm hoping to post a clip from inside the car today

a member asked earlier how it sounded from inside the car

we aim to please :happy feet:

The SLPs do not sound all that great on a GT but man o man on a GT500, they are THE TICKET.

I installed mine back in Dec when I first got the car and dropped those crown vic mufflers like a dead rat.

The SLP LMs sound GREAT and NO DRONE on the GT500. They are also very reasonably priced compared to some other options. The double wall SS tips look great too.

I would really like to hear one in person. I like the no drone factor, I drove a gt500 with flows and its sounded like ass. It was so bad it was rattling the loose change around 1800rpm.

I'll be right there :hysterical2:

I just went over to Youtube and listened to both the GT500 and the Mustang GT with SLP Loudmouth and all I can say is WOOOOOOW!! The SLP Loudmouth has just the right sound I was looking for, very low rumble and fairly loud. There is a video that appears to have been posted by SLP themselves where they are driving a white GT500 right in front of their building and that thing sounded AWESOME!!! I also listened to several Mustang GT's with the SLP Loudmouth and I think they sounded great. The funny thing is that one of the videos showed the parts coming out of the box and they almost look like straight pipes, which probably explains the great sound. Thanks for turning me on to these things, I think I've found the exhaust I'm going with.

I just went over to Youtube and listened to both the GT500 and the Mustang GT with SLP Loudmouth and all I can say is WOOOOOOW!! The SLP Loudmouth has just the right sound I was looking for, very low rumble and fairly loud. There is a video that appears to have been posted by SLP themselves where they are driving a white GT500 right in front of their building and that thing sounded AWESOME!!! I also listened to several Mustang GT's with the SLP Loudmouth and I think they sounded great. The funny thing is that one of the videos showed the parts coming out of the box and they almost look like straight pipes, which probably explains the great sound. Thanks for turning me on to these things, I think I've found the exhaust I'm going with.

I'm real happy with mine

I went with FRPP 5gt axle-backs. They got the drone at 1800 rpm pretty bad especially when the engine is under a slight load. Love the look and sound around town, but they are not pleasant when cruising around 65-75 on the flat highway. Will keep them a little longer to see if I get used to it, but if not, they'll be for sale.

• 1 month later...
I went with FRPP 5gt axle-backs. They got the drone at 1800 rpm pretty bad especially when the engine is under a slight load. Love the look and sound around town, but they are not pleasant when cruising around 65-75 on the flat highway. Will keep them a little longer to see if I get used to it, but if not, they'll be for sale.

I really like my 5GT's I paid good $$$ for the SVT1's and I was a little disappointed, they didn't seem too much louder than stock to me. The 5GT's are so much lighter and I love the FORD RACING badged polished tips and round (circular shape) instead of the oval muffler look.

I have a friend who has the SLP's and they sound sweet as long as you are not planning on taking the CATS off.

So I plan a simple FRPP CAI with tune, to gain about 40HP, but agree I do not care for the stock exhaust. I was leaning toward the FRPP exhaust as well. Couple stupid questions:

- Do the FRPP set sound good enough compared to the SLP's? I mean which are louder and deeper?

- When you guys talk about drone? What does that mean?

Any opinions will be appreciated!

So I plan a simple FRPP CAI with tune, to gain about 40HP, but agree I do not care for the stock exhaust. I was leaning toward the FRPP exhaust as well. Couple stupid questions:

- Do the FRPP set sound good enough compared to the SLP's? I mean which are louder and deeper?

Drone is a reverberation whereby sound waves are created at a frequency that is annoying to the ear. I tried the "other" FRPP exhaust (they are branded a couple different ways) and had terrible drone to my ear, but some people like it. I got the Magnaflow ovals...but they are too quiet for most people based on what I've heard people say. The drone I heard was only at about 1900-2100 RPM...which unfortunately is right on cruise RPM on the highway. :banghead:

Not exactly what I mean...but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_(music)

I like my Magnaflows.

Drone is a reverberation whereby sound waves are created at a frequency that is annoying to the ear. I tried the "other" FRPP exhaust (they are branded a couple different ways) and had terrible drone to my ear, but some people like it. I got the Magnaflow ovals...but they are too quiet for most people based on what I've heard people say. The drone I heard was only at about 1900-2100 RPM...which unfortunately is right on cruise RPM on the highway. :banghead:

Not exactly what I mean...but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_(music)

I like my Magnaflows.

Dave, thanks. I guess I understood the drone concept, just not sure when or how it effected the exhaust and at what levels. Do you think this is the same for all cars? What if they are moded or the FRPP is used in conjunction with another tune or even the FRPP CAI tune? Do you think that will change the drone effect or the level at which it is effected?

I really want the FRPP CAI and Tune and thought I may as well just go the distance and add their exhaust. Thoughts?

Dave, thanks. I guess I understood the drone concept, just not sure when or how it effected the exhaust and at what levels. Do you think this is the same for all cars? What if they are moded or the FRPP is used in conjunction with another tune or even the FRPP CAI tune? Do you think that will change the drone effect or the level at which it is effected?

I really want the FRPP CAI and Tune and thought I may as well just go the distance and add their exhaust. Thoughts?

No, I don't think it's the same for all cars. It depends on many factors, such as exhaust pipe length, where the bends are in the pipes, backpressure, and so on. I doubt that modding would significantly change the drone. I think the RPM at which it's heard is mainly dependent on exhaust system design, so possibly long tube headers would change it...but that's just an educated guess.

Dave

I think the SLP's have that muscle car tone to them, my friends sound is slightly louder than mine. If you are going LT or taking the CATS-mids off. Don't say I didn't warn you. We drove around for about 30 minutes and boy did I start to get a head ache they become so loud. Here's the big difference the 5gt's (FRPP) are made by BORLA but will cost you around 529.00 the SLP probably 329 or so. The big thing with me is the 5GT's have a 3.5 polished tip with FORD RACING embossed on them, really nice I think. Exhaust is like cars, everybody has their favorite & color.

Based upon listening to other people, viewing MANY videos on Youtube and listening to other people's cars, I bought the SLP Loudmouths. I definitely do not regret it. However, there is something that anyone considering this product should understand. The SLP Loudmouths are NOT mufflers. They are simply straight pipes that ELIMINATE the factory mufflers entirely. They have very nice polished tips and look great, but I wanted anyone reading this thread and contemplating the purchase to fully understand what the SLP Loudmouths are. With this being said, the cars equipped with the SLP Loudmouths are not as loud as you would think they would be when you eliminate the mufflers. I have heard people say that the CATS are fairly restrictive and therefore act somewhat like a muffler anyway. All I can say is that eliminating the factory mufflers and adding the SLP gives the GT 500 that low rumble that ANY muscle car would be proud to have. Just my .02.

Has anyone tried the Corsa products?

I don't have them (yet) but have been in 2 cars that do have them on.

VERY nice!! No drone at all. Nice sound at idle and at a moderate take off - not too much or too loud. Foot to the floor = a nice louder growl.

They're the only ones I'm considering right now. Had considered the SLP's, but they have a little more growl than I wanted - I want civilized when I want as well.

I had the drone problem with a Bassani cat back system on my Terminator. Couldn't stand it. It occured right at the cruising rpm. I put some sound insulation under the back seats, under the trunk mat, and behind the rear seats. this reduced a sig. amount of it and maintained the the good sound.

Has anyone tried the Corsa products?

I bought the Corsa alxe back. No drone at all and a very decent sound under throttle. Just a notch above stock at idle. The draw back was price. They were about $700 at LMP.

http://www.lmperformance.com/

I gotta tell you guys, not ashamed to so I am confused, and it appears several posters here may be as well. FRPP has TWO options, the ones most guys are talking about here are the M-5230-SGT (not sure why some guys are calling them 5GT?) and the other is the M-5230-SVT1, which I believe is going to be on the KR. What I would like to know is the sound difference between them. I also hear see some guys referring to the FRPP as other OEM names, and not sure if that is an error, or which of the two mentioned above match with which OEM. :banghead:

I gotta tell you guys, not ashamed to so I am confused, and it appears several posters here may be as well. FRPP has TWO options, the ones most guys are talking about here are the M-5230-SGT (not sure why some guys are calling them 5GT?) and the other is the M-5230-SVT1, which I believe is going to be on the KR. What I would like to know is the sound difference between them. I also hear see some guys referring to the FRPP as other OEM names, and not sure if that is an error, or which of the two mentioned above match with which OEM. :banghead:

SLB8SNK,I can clear up the axle backs for you as far as part #'s but sound is tough because the best measure is to here them in person. Even sound bites can be somewhat different depending on car, mods, area (as in wide open or more enclosed, ect.)You are talking 3 FRPP axle backs here not TWO. The SGT and the SVT1's are designed with the Shelby GT500 in mind. The 5GT is for the Mustang GT 4.6 that some guys may be putting on there Shelby's. Hope this helps . BTY the 5GT's will sound different on a Shelby GT500 than a Mustang GT.

DC

SLB8SNK,I can clear up the axle backs for you as far as part #'s but sound is tough because the best measure is to here them in person. Even sound bites can be somewhat different depending on car, mods, area (as in wide open or more enclosed, ect.)You are talking 3 FRPP axle backs here not TWO. The SGT and the SVT1's are designed with the Shelby GT500 in mind. The 5GT is for the Mustang GT 4.6 that some guys may be putting on there Shelby's. Hope this helps . BTY the 5GT's will sound different on a Shelby GT500 than a Mustang GT.

DC

DC, thanks, that confirms some of my thoughts. I think I am going to go with the compete FRPP CAI and tune along with the SVT1's. As I see it, that should bring in a good Ford Racing look and fit, as well gain an extra 40-50 HP between the tune and exhaust.

By the way, I just noticed, our cars were built and belivered almost on the same days, and they are the same other than vert/coupe! Cool.

Archived