TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 Production

GT500-07

I got my license just after the second big oil embargo, hence the reason my first car (a little '75 Mustang Mach 1) was a frugal V6 model. Nobody wanted those big gas guzzlin' V8's and Detroit sure wasn't making musclecars anymore (new Corvettes of the era were pathetic 15 second 1/4 milers on a good day).

The original musclecar era (1964-1972, IMO), is much celebrated, but we've already had better/faster cars coming at us for almost 10 years now. We all have fond memories of how fast the original musclecars were, but our memories are a bit fuzzy. For example, I owned a 1968 Pontiac GTO from 1986-1995 (bought it from the original owner). GTO was the epitome of "musclecar." Big block power, sales success, high volume production, etc. My GTO was the most common of the breed; 400 cubic inch, 350hp, Turbo 400 automatic transmission, 3.23 gears. This was the vast majority of GTO's in 1968. So, how fast was this fabled beast when new? It was Motor Trend's 1968 Car of the Year and it ran the 1/4 mile in the 14.50's at about 93 mph. My '89 Mustang 5.0L LX was just as fast! My '00 Mustang GT was faster (13.80's at 97). My '03 Mach 1 was way faster (13.00's at 105). New 300hp Mustang GT's are faster. There are plenty of import cars with much smaller engines (4 and 6 cylinders - yikes) that can whoop a stock '68 GTO (or many of its contemporaries from the late '60's).

Sure, there were super limited production monsters out there (Ram Air IV GTO's, LS6 and LS7 Chevelles, COPO Camaros, Hemi Mopars, 428 SCJ R-code Mustangs, Buick GS Stage I 455's, W-30 Olds, etc.), but those cars were as rare as a new Shelby GT500KR or SS. Rarer than even a Dodge Viper or Corvette Z06. The vast majority of the "musclecars" on the streets in the original musclecar era were small block V8's or big torque (yet low hp) big blocks that were lucky to run 13's in the 1/4 mile, with most running 14's (God forbid, even 15's). Today's musclecar era has fostered so many more cars that whoop on the oldies and in bigger sales volumes. We are truly living in the best of times! However, with the modern musclecar era in full swing I have to wonder if we are nearing its zenith. Many challenges are on the horizon speeding straight toward us (tighter emissions, higher CAFE standards, record oil/fuel prices, political unrest worldwide, the green front, traffic congestion, etc.). I think we have a narrow window of opportunity to enjoy our steeds before the stars, moon, and the sun align in such a way to make our hobby recede.

Another spot on post... +1

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my license just after the second big oil embargo, hence the reason my first car (a little '75 Mustang Mach 1) was a frugal V6 model. Nobody wanted those big gas guzzlin' V8's and Detroit sure wasn't making musclecars anymore (new Corvettes of the era were pathetic 15 second 1/4 milers on a good day).

The original musclecar era (1964-1972, IMO), is much celebrated, but we've already had better/faster cars coming at us for almost 10 years now. We all have fond memories of how fast the original musclecars were, but our memories are a bit fuzzy. For example, I owned a 1968 Pontiac GTO from 1986-1995 (bought it from the original owner). GTO was the epitome of "musclecar." Big block power, sales success, high volume production, etc. My GTO was the most common of the breed; 400 cubic inch, 350hp, Turbo 400 automatic transmission, 3.23 gears. This was the vast majority of GTO's in 1968. So, how fast was this fabled beast when new? It was Motor Trend's 1968 Car of the Year and it ran the 1/4 mile in the 14.50's at about 93 mph. My '89 Mustang 5.0L LX was just as fast! My '00 Mustang GT was faster (13.80's at 97). My '03 Mach 1 was way faster (13.00's at 105). New 300hp Mustang GT's are faster. There are plenty of import cars with much smaller engines (4 and 6 cylinders - yikes) that can whoop a stock '68 GTO (or many of its contemporaries from the late '60's).

Sure, there were super limited production monsters out there (Ram Air IV GTO's, LS6 and LS7 Chevelles, COPO Camaros, Hemi Mopars, 428 SCJ R-code Mustangs, Buick GS Stage I 455's, W-30 Olds, etc.), but those cars were as rare as a new Shelby GT500KR or SS. Rarer than even a Dodge Viper or Corvette Z06. The vast majority of the "musclecars" on the streets in the original musclecar era were small block V8's or big torque (yet low hp) big blocks that were lucky to run 13's in the 1/4 mile, with most running 14's (God forbid, even 15's). Today's musclecar era has fostered so many more cars that whoop on the oldies and in bigger sales volumes. We are truly living in the best of times! However, with the modern musclecar era in full swing I have to wonder if we are nearing its zenith. Many challenges are on the horizon speeding straight toward us (tighter emissions, higher CAFE standards, record oil/fuel prices, political unrest worldwide, the green front, traffic congestion, etc.). I think we have a narrow window of opportunity to enjoy our steeds before the stars, moon, and the sun align in such a way to make our hobby recede.

Right on the money...i agree 100%

I said it before in another thread, the brightest most beautiful color of the star is just before its supernova.

I think it will be the hybrids...electrical engines...if the turmoil overseas affects oil prices any more, then a barrel of crude oil can reach 150$..200$.

the auto makers know something we do not.

May be in the next 10YM it will be done and ....Five Oh B.... i wish you from my heart to have one in your garage.

Thank you, sharabi. Unfortunately, my requirements will keep me from owing one as I am old enough now to need an automatic trans (just too hard on my left knee anymore to push in a clutch). After owning 5 Mustangs with a manual trans, my 07 GT had to be an automatic. And, as SVT has never offered an automatic in a Mustang, then I can only hope that they will someday consider an automatic (like Corvette, BMW, Mercedes, etc.).

I think Electric engines would be the best muscle car performer. Instant torque and hp :). 5 oh I will be waiting with you buddy.

I, too, would love the instant torque at 0 rpm's of an electric motor, but need the soothing music that is a big V8 internal combustion engine to go along with it, so I vote Hybrid!

I, too, would love the instant torque at 0 rpm's of an electric motor, but need the soothing music that is a big V8 internal combustion engine to go along with it, so I vote Hybrid!

I hope that SANTA when he delivers presents to SHELBY/FORD locations will drop that wish and i hope it will not fall on a deaf ear there.

So please SHELBY/FORD .....affordable SHELBY GT350 hybrid with auto trans that will still sound and perform great. Technically could be done (in the muscle car section),other foreign auto makers are experimenting with it (like HONDA NSX HYBRID), lets have the lead and them follow.

HUH??? First off, I never heard of anyone saying 3 to 5 years, ever! They always stated 2 year run, however there was one release in which they stated "build one unitl everyone who wants one gets one". Second, GM nor Chrysler will or can keep dealers from placing an ADM on the car.... sorry, but just like the GT500 it is all about supply and demand and if someone wants the car they put up or shut up, but you can plan on ADM's for both. Also, ADM on the GT500 has already been falling, nothing due to these cars coming out as most cars of this type are sold to enthusiasts, and rarely do they cross lines. Ford guys buy Mustangs, and GM guys buy Camero's. Birds of a feather stick together. Last, these new cars will be modified just as much as the Mustangs will be. Mopar has a huge desire to profit from these cars, as does GM. Lets not kid ourselves here, all these cars are cash cows for the OEM, expensive to some degree for the consumer, and will be check books for the aftermarket folks.

Wrong! Chevy guys buy Vettes-Period!!! The true American Sport Car!

• 2 months later...

Archived