TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 Production

GT500-07

I paid 5k over and have been driving my Gt500 Convertible and love it. :happy feet:

Keep your Vette. One reason you got it below MSRP is THEY ARE NOT SELLING WELL! :hysterical:

As I have said before; Carroll Shelby and Ford publicly announced they would make about 50,000 Shelby vehicles. There was no mention of what limitations on models or years. :redcard: NO ONE LIED! 10,000 plus people heard him say 50,000 vehicles. Maybe you should have done some research first. :finger:

GM pumps out Vettes to meet demand without any concern about future value. Where is your exclusive Vette? One of how many?

:hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2::hysterical:

Who laughs first, laughs last! GM has Bowling Green factory that only builds Vettes, its America's #1 sports car! :superhero: Oh price I get it at GMS empolyee discount! I was willing to pay MSRP to get the GT500 vert. I did not know Shelby was going to build 50,000 rides, know one told me this!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:beatdeadhorse: It doesn't bother me if they build them for the next 10 years. Building more will result in more aftermarket parts coming to market because of the larger volume. I love my car because of the performance and handling that it delivers right off the assembly line.

:beatdeadhorse: It doesn't bother me if they build them for the next 10 years. Building more will result in more aftermarket parts coming to market because of the larger volume. I love my car because of the performance and handling that it delivers right off the assembly line.

Your right! but at the price thy are selling for, who will have the bread to afford any... :headspin:

Your right! but at the price thy are selling for, who will have the bread to afford any... :headspin:

Why do you care about the"price they are selling for" when you got your deal for MSRP. You cancelled your order in AZ because everyone else was paying over MSRP? Dude, there's something else going on in your situation that you're not telling us.

Why do you care about the"price they are selling for" when you got your deal for MSRP. You cancelled your order in AZ because everyone else was paying over MSRP? Dude, there's something else going on in your situation that you're not telling us.

I wanted limited edition 2 year build only! If there going to build them every year like a Vette, I would rather have a Corvette, I get them 10 grand below MSRP!

Sorry dude, 54K for a vert GT500, only 3K more for a close to 68K ride. A lot more cool stuff on the Vette.

If you truly want a limited edition convertible, may I suggest the 2008 Shelby GT convertible. Only 2,100 '08 Shelby GT's planned, and about 70% are slated to be verts, so less than 1,500 of these to be built. These cars are actually converted at SAI, so they may be harder to mass produce beyond your comfort level (like the GT500's).

You make a very good point here. The pics I've seen of the 08 Shelby GT verts. are outstanding and really gorgeous in that color scheme. Pricey, but a super sweet lookin piece.

The GT500 Vert with out the strips on the hood looks a GT, no big deal. Also most folks who a GT500 want the Coupe look, enough said.

The GT500 Vert with out the strips on the hood looks a GT, no big deal. Also most folks who a GT500 want the Coupe look, enough said.

We're not talking about the Shelby GT500 in this example, but the Shelby GT instead. It's the 319hp Mustang that starts life as a regular Mustang GT, then is sent to Shelby (SAI) for conversion. More power, better handling, better appearance, and very limited build quantities as SAI can only do so many unlike the GT500, (which Ford builds entirely within their own factory and can build more than you seem to be comfortable with).

Oh, and the 2008 Shelby GT Convertible will get LeMans stripes over the car - not just rocker stripes down the side - just in case you need stripes to go with the limited edition status you seek.

Better yet, most dealers are selling Shelby GT's at MSRP, or lower, so you could likely pick up a convertible in the $45K-$50K range. And, you can even have SAI supercharge the car after you title it to make the car a Shelby GT/SC, if you need more power than the 319hp for the basic setup.

We're not talking about the Shelby GT500 in this example, but the Shelby GT instead. It's the 319hp Mustang that starts life as a regular Mustang GT, then is sent to Shelby (SAI) for conversion. More power, better handling, better appearance, and very limited build quantities as SAI can only do so many unlike the GT500, (which Ford builds entirely within their own factory and can build more than you seem to be comfortable with).

Oh, and the 2008 Shelby GT Convertible will get LeMans stripes over the car - not just rocker stripes down the side - just in case you need stripes to go with the limited edition status you seek.

Better yet, most dealers are selling Shelby GT's at MSRP, or lower, so you could likely pick up a convertible in the $45K-$50K range. And, you can even have SAI supercharge the car after you title it to make the car a Shelby GT/SC, if you need more power than the 319hp for the basic setup.

I seen pictures at sema that they will make also 17% gabber orange conv & coupe.The one they showed was shelby gt/sc looked awsome.

Vette Vert 436HP, rides the road better than Roller Coaster!

You pick what's important to you. Obviously for you it's handling and your perception of looks. If you want 4 seats and room in the trunk, the Mustang wins out. As for the looks, I prefer the looks of the Mustang. All a matter of preference. Another factor for some of us old geezers is the slightly higher seating position of a Mustang. The vette is a bit difficult for me to get in/out. Again...all depends on your individual circumstances.

AD

You pick what's important to you. Obviously for you it's handling and your perception of looks. If you want 4 seats and room in the trunk, the Mustang wins out. As for the looks, I prefer the looks of the Mustang. All a matter of preference. Another factor for some of us old geezers is the slightly higher seating position of a Mustang. The vette is a bit difficult for me to get in/out. Again...all depends on your individual circumstances.

AD

You notice I didn't have any trouble. Is it that I am much younger than you. :hysterical2:

JC8, your points are well taken, however, there is something that you are missing entirely. I own both a classic Mustang (1970 428 Super Cobra Jet 4 speed Mach 1) and a classic Corvette (1969 427 435hp 4 speed). The bottom line is simple. These cars are and were intended for different audiences. Period. Trust me, these two cars are very different animals. Sure they're in the same ball park, certain models are even close in price. But that is purely coincidence. The Mustang, in all its forms, is intended to be a sports car for the guy or gal who MAY need to haul both people and cargo. The Corvette is a pure sports car (read 2 seater). Again, the two cars are truly intended for different people, so to compare them is like comparing apples to oranges, it just doesn't work. Your points about the Corvette's capabilities are accurate, however, meaningless in a conversation comparison to the Mustang. Alloy Dave, your comments were right on in regards to this topic. JC8, for example, I have ordered a GT500 for my son as a Christmas present. At the auto show here in Kansas City earlier this year, I showed him both the Corvette and the Mustang. I intended to get which ever car he liked. He looked at the Corvette and sat in it. The kid got out of the car and frankly said he didn't care for it. When he saw the Mustang display, he went crazy. You see at his high school, practically every teenage boy has or wants some variety of a Mustang. They could care less about the Corvette. That's not to say that the Corvette is a bad car, this example just shows how the two cars are intended for different people.

JC8, your points are well taken, however, there is something that you are missing entirely. I own both a classic Mustang (1970 428 Super Cobra Jet 4 speed Mach 1) and a classic Corvette (1969 427 435hp 4 speed). The bottom line is simple. These cars are and were intended for different audiences. Period. Trust me, these two cars are very different animals. Sure they're in the same ball park, certain models are even close in price. But that is purely coincidence. The Mustang, in all its forms, is intended to be a sports car for the guy or gal who MAY need to haul both people and cargo. The Corvette is a pure sports car (read 2 seater). Again, the two cars are truly intended for different people, so to compare them is like comparing apples to oranges, it just doesn't work. Your points about the Corvette's capabilities are accurate, however, meaningless in a conversation comparison to the Mustang. Alloy Dave, your comments were right on in regards to this topic. JC8, for example, I have ordered a GT500 for my son as a Christmas present. At the auto show here in Kansas City earlier this year, I showed him both the Corvette and the Mustang. I intended to get which ever car he liked. He looked at the Corvette and sat in it. The kid got out of the car and frankly said he didn't care for it. When he saw the Mustang display, he went crazy. You see at his high school, practically every teenage boy has or wants some variety of a Mustang. They could care less about the Corvette. That's not to say that the Corvette is a bad car, this example just shows how the two cars are intended for different people.
GREAT EXPLANATION OF THE DIFFRENTS IN THE TWO CARS + 2!!!!!!!

Teenage Boy + GT500 = :o

j/k :hysterical2: ......Lucky kid with a very generous papa

I agree with some of this logic, however the biggest difference is simple - The Vette is indeed a sports car, whereas the GT500 is a muscle car, and that my friend is the difference and all the difference and why the two should never be compared. Compare the Vette to the GT40, or the GT500 to a Camero, now you are talking proper classes of cars. Sorry, just my .02

The Shelby GT/SC has more hp than the Vette Vert. And, I gotta say, most roller coasters don't ride well (especially the older wooden ones that rattle and clank), so your analogy is lost on me.

• 2 weeks later...
JC8, for example, I have ordered a GT500 for my son as a Christmas present. At the auto show here in Kansas City earlier this year, I showed him both the Corvette and the Mustang. I intended to get which ever car he liked.

Are you looking for another son?

I wont ask for a GT500 for Christmas. I already have one, plus "dad" you don't have to spend that much on me. I could easily live with a SGT-C.

:dreamy:

Josh, Are those Tungsten stripes peaking out from the top of that Performance White (the fastest color) coupe? Only 60 are left.

Yes, sir! Those are Tungsten stripes you see on the Performance White!!

That's right, there's only 60 left because you got your 40th! Correct?

Josh and I live in a town of 150k and there are probably 8 to 12 GT500s in our city. The only one I EVER see on the road is Josh's and that's only if I call him and tell him to meet me somewhere. I've never even seen him just driving around even though like me he drives it often. Since they started shipping GT500s, I have seen two on the road. One Alloy vert and one red with white stripes that had Iowa plates. The only other ones I have seen were at a car show (3) and another forum members garage (Blackvert).

They are still, and will continue to be, a rare sight indeed. :shades:

As far as the price, there's really no point belaboring it. If you want one, pay the current market price and you won't be disappointed. If you don't think it's worth what the current market dictates or you can't yet afford it, wait and hope for prices to come down or save some more so you can afford one. :shrug:

+1

Are you looking for another son?

I wont ask for a GT500 for Christmas. I already have one, plus "dad" you don't have to spend that much on me. I could easily live with a SGT-C.

:dreamy:

GT500 Grad, trust me, one son is plenty for me. His schedule and looking after him is enough for me, but thanks for the offer!

This is why it is so common for the consumer to walk into dealerships and inquire about something new coming out and getting that dear in the headlights look from dealers because they do not know anything about it.

Consumers read about it, dealers are not told anything, and they are left to look like morons to the general public.

Dealers have been complaining about this for years! Ford keeps promising to fix it but they never do.

If it were up to me every dealer would be informed of anything at least a week ahead of time before it is released to the press or revealed at some auto show or press release.

The above is all well and good, but I spent a lot of time on dealership lots recently looking for a 7 passenger mid-size SUV and when I ask simple questions like what's the HP/torque, towing capacity, current incentives, difference in trim levels, I get an "I don't know", a lie, or a mumble. Ford and other manufs put out tons of info and the salesfolk are too lazy to read it. Why should they get a commission? I don't need their coffee-cigarette breath, bad cologne, and misinformation. All they want to do is throw me the keys, take a quarter mile spin around the block and shoo me into their cubicles to "talk some numbers." Hey, why don't you show me the features, how they work, and know a couple facts. I swear I'm gonna sell cars when I'm retired just to do it the right way.

The above is all well and good, but I spent a lot of time on dealership lots recently looking for a 7 passenger mid-size SUV and when I ask simple questions like what's the HP/torque, towing capacity, current incentives, difference in trim levels, I get an "I don't know", a lie, or a mumble. Ford and other manufs put out tons of info and the salesfolk are too lazy to read it. Why should they get a commission? I don't need their coffee-cigarette breath, bad cologne, and misinformation. All they want to do is throw me the keys, take a quarter mile spin around the block and shoo me into their cubicles to "talk some numbers." Hey, why don't you show me the features, how they work, and know a couple facts. I swear I'm gonna sell cars when I'm retired just to do it the right way.

I WISHED :banghead: Ford does not keep you in the loop till after the cars are out!! and all of the car sources have published the heck out of RUMORS and and every thing you can think of!! :finger:

and then we get info we should of had a year ago :redcard: so we look like idiots to joe customer

that is why most good sales people join good forums like this one and read all the car mags they can find :dreamy: so we CAN be more informed

Archived