TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint in the GT500 Trunk Area Inconsistencies ?

dhouston

Hey all -

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my GT500 Coupe. It was built on 9/26, so hopefully will be here soon.

I have a question on the paint in the trunk area. I have been looking at new Mustangs and see a lot of variance in this area. I saw a GT500 Vapor coupe yesterday that was almost completely left in a greenish primer in the spare tire and under package tray area. I travel on business a lot and rented an 08 Mustang V6 this week and it was red, but all the trunk area on that car was a nicely painted red.

Why would Ford paint a V6 properly and not spend the time or effort on a $45K GT500???

Just curious on what to expect when my car arrives.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hey all -

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my GT500 Coupe. It was built on 9/26, so hopefully will be here soon.

I have a question on the paint in the trunk area. I have been looking at new Mustangs and see a lot of variance in this area. I saw a GT500 Vapor coupe yesterday that was almost completely left in a greenish primer in the spare tire and under package tray area. I travel on business a lot and rented an 08 Mustang V6 this week and it was red, but all the trunk area on that car was a nicely painted red.

Why would Ford paint a V6 properly and not spend the time or effort on a $45K GT500???

Just curious on what to expect when my car arrives.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

A GT500 is a Mustang. It is built with same care and consistency as a $19k base coupe. When the bodies are painted, it is still unknown what it will be; V6, GT, GT500 etc...

The only real quality difference would be in the engine assembly.

A GT500 is a Mustang. It is built with same care and consistency as a $19k base coupe. When the bodies are painted, it is still unknown what it will be; V6, GT, GT500 etc...

So, I guess it is just Production line paint inconsistency. I didnt know if they arent painting that area to keep weight down in the GT500. You wouldnt think trunk paint would affect the weight all that much. But either way, this does not impact my overall glee in the anticipation of getting my car. Was just curious on why some cars are painted and some were not.

Based on looking at the V6 Model, GTs and the GT500 Mustangs, Ford quality seems very good in general . The GT500 I looked at yesterday was extremely impressive and a really magnificient car.

Actually at the paint booth ponit on the assy line it is obvious if the car is a GT500, The hood is with the body at that point. Not attached yet.

Not that it makes any difference in paint quality, just the assembly order.

When a car goes down the AAI production line for paint or assembly, the system can track each vehicle by the last 6 digits of your vin number or the commitment # so each station knows what options or colors have to go in/on the car. If you think the trunk area lacks paint, don't look at the underside of the car :hysterical2:

Archived