TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I want a naturally aspirated GT500...

EXPcustom

I love my GT500, best car I ever owned next to my 98 SVT cobra which was second. I in general have had bad luck with turbos and SC and would think a naturally aspirated 5.4 would be perfect like the 2000 Cobra R.

My GT500 is my daily driver and since that is the case performance and reliability is a major concern for me. I may after the warranty is up trade my SC for natural aspiration unless ford does a GT350 which would be the same as a GT500 but naturally aspirated but I would be dreaming.

Anyone agree?

Reliability and performance are of equal importance to me.

The car is built with a blower in mind and built to take 500 hp and more

If you don't want or need the HP, you should have looked at a Shelby modded GT instead

Yeah, what he said.

I'm severely puzzled about two things however:

1. The Supercharger doesn't kick in unless you floor it, so just drive it conservatively if you don't want to make use of the SC.

2. Why on earth did you pay a premium for a GT500 who's defining characteristic is the 500 SC'd engine?

Baffled.

I love my GT500, best car I ever owned next to my 98 SVT cobra which was second. I in general have had bad luck with turbos and SC and would think a naturally aspirated 5.4 would be perfect like the 2000 Cobra R.

My GT500 is my daily driver and since that is the case performance and reliability is a major concern for me. I may after the warranty is up trade my SC for natural aspiration unless ford does a GT350 which would be the same as a GT500 but naturally aspirated but I would be dreaming.

Anyone agree?

1) No, not in this heavy of a car. If the GT500 was much lighter and geared taller (3.73's/4.11's?), then a high-revving N/A 5.4 would be awesome.

2)It is very reliable. The Eaton supercharger is a sealed, maintenance free unit and the tune and engine setup is as it is from the factory. It will be very reliable - rest assured.

Anyone agree?

:o

I don't think the SC presents a reliability issue, plus SC's give you better gas mileage.

Have you ever considered moving down under?

Australian Ford produces the FPV Falcon 5.4L V8 BOSS powered cars, that include your choice of:

FPV Falcon GT

FPV Falcon GT-P

FPV Falcon Force 8

these come in nifty 4-door sedan, if you're looking for a coupe, consider the Ute (it has a pick up bed in the back, but you know more trunk space too)

FPV Falcon Pursuit

FPV Falcon Super Pursuit

check them out here: www.svtregistry.com/FPV

heh heh

--Russ

huh?

The car has a fully built hand assembled motor.

Don't worry about it it will last longer than you will probably own the car for.

Take the blower off and you have a very slow over weight car.

Why don't we just all chop off our balls while were at it hahah

Forced induction is king

The reason I brought this thread up was back in 2001 I was really impressed with the 2000 Cobra R.

Yes I still would like to see IRS naturally aspirated aluminum block 5.4 GT500.

I was not impressed nor did I care for the Shelby GT.

I am not complaining about the SC I just like the idea of less moving parts=more reliability.

Its good to know that the SCs are maintance free as I never had good luck with the RX7s I tinkered with and the earlier 90's SC'd Fords.

The reason I brought this thread up was back in 2001 I was really impressed with the 2000 Cobra R.

Yes I still would like to see IRS naturally aspirated aluminum block 5.4 GT500.

I was not impressed nor did I care for the Shelby GT.

I am not complaining about the SC I just like the idea of less moving parts=more reliability.

Its good to know that the SCs are maintance free as I never had good luck with the RX7s I tinkered with and the earlier 90's SC'd Fords.

What Ford are you talking about that was SC'ed in the early 90's ?

:headscratch:

:finger::hysterical:

Actually I'd like a NA GT500 too, with a conservative 650HP 7.0L H/Boss in it :happy feet: :bandance: :happy feet: :)

An NA DOHC 5.4 with serious HP could never make any production volumes, imo, given CAFE/apportionments, etc... The hot rumor last winter was that a low-volume Boss was to be built on the GT500 iron motor with different pistons and no S/C. Most of us :barf: on that ...not brecause it's NA but because NA needs to be able to rev and the close-bore super-underdersquare 5.4 is just not the right motor for that, imo.

Now, a H/Boss off that experimental 85 piece ...still nicely oversquare at 7.0L and I start to hyperventillate and have to put a :bag: on my head to not pass out :)

I'm hoping the 2007 SC Gt500 is a little bit more reliable and better built than a 92 Thunderbird. :dreamy:

Point being I have had bad luck in the past with SCs including nicer aftermarket ones from the 90s would like to see a naturally aspirated option.

I am not complaining just saying I would like to see a NA option become available in the future.

Point being I have had bad luck in the past with SCs including nicer aftermarket ones from the 90s would like to see a naturally aspirated option.

I am not complaining just saying I would like to see a NA option become available in the future.

I completely agree and know where you are coming from. I stayed away from blowers etc. through the 90's for that reason. But after owning my 04 Cobra and all the other people out there with blown Cobra's, and seeing how few propblems people had with them (that didn't mod them to crazy levels) I really felt confident in the stock setup to be long lasting and dependable.

I never had a single lick of problems with my SC in my Cobra, it never felt like it was putting undue stress on the engine or anything... I think in the 90's this would be something to worry about, but I think they really made a safely tuned SC'd car for the new cars that are coming out and those fears for the most part can be put to rest.

Also, it's really nice to have the extra power when you need it, and not use it when you don't. I like the driving characteristics of the SC'd Cobra's as they are tame when you want them and then completely insane fast when you need it. :shift:

A few Thunderbird SCs and a 92 Saleen with a Paxton supercharger is what I was refering to with "Early 90's Ford"

The SC'ed T-Bird was a V-6 with 225 hp and the Saleen was is aftermarket and wasn't built by FMCO. I thought you were refering to a V-8 with a SC that Ford had built.

That said I do think that Ford will build a nat asp high HP engine in the future possibly in the next Boss . I hope it will be light weight ,high reving and at least 425- 475 HP . However without the torque the car will have to be lightened up quite a bit to perform the way it should, unless the displacement allows it to have enough torque and power with a 6500- 7000 rpm red line.

Until they produce such an engiine with the current GT500 being as heavy as it is the SC is a better fit than a high rev type engine without enough torque IMO.

As far as reliability is concerned the Eaton SC's that Ford has been using to date have been very reliable and have stood up very well when used as intended . If you overspin any SC it's only reasonable to expect the normal lifespan to be shortened somewhat.

There is an awful lot of 5.4 Lightning's on the road 99's - 04's still performing very well today with the Eaton SC's not to mention 89 - 97 T- Birds with over 100,000 miles on the Eaton Sc's too.

That will likely be called the Boss. Probably different engine size, but NA.

P.S. I have no firm info on this...just my guess.

EXP:

Maybe you should buy a 5.4 all aluminum crate engine and swap it out with the one in the GT500? You can make it bullet-proof by beefing up with forged internals. I think the FR500GT has a similar setup with around 530hp. The aluminum block should save some serious weight.

Tom

EXP:

Maybe you should buy a 5.4 all aluminum crate engine and swap it out with the one in the GT500? You can make it bullet-proof by beefing up with forged internals. I think the FR500GT has a similar setup with around 530hp. The aluminum block should save some serious weight.

Tom

That would cost some serious coin. Doesn't that engine sell for something like $20K?

Aussie Ford

I believe the Aussie's have what you're looking for. 400HP "Boss 302" NA Falcon Cobra.

Good find, Secondo... 404HP/398Tq, not bad. Has to be the iron 5.4 tho (I didn't see any mention)... sure would be nice to save 85 lbs with an alloy block <sigh>

Interesting that they developed revised cams for it for more mid-range torque. I bet that motor was the rumored "boss" modular that was being talked about some months ago here -- too bad it's the iron block :nonono: <lol>

Those Aussies -- gotta love 'em! ;-)

Good find, Secondo... 404HP/398Tq, not bad. Has to be the iron 5.4 tho (I didn't see any mention)... sure would be nice to save 85 lbs with an alloy block <sigh>

Interesting that they developed revised cams for it for more mid-range torque. I bet that motor was the rumored "boss" modular that was being talked about some months ago here -- too bad it's the iron block :nonono: <lol>

Those Aussies -- gotta love 'em! ;-)

Dan they got some cool vehicles over there- Takes alot of guts to name their new Falcon a Cobra and the engine a "Boss 302..."

Figured something was up with them when a while back everyone recommended getting the "Australian" Cleveland 2V heads for mine (the '72 w/351C). I remember thinking to myself, "What's going on over there that we don't know about?" :headspin:

Dan they got some cool vehicles over there- Takes alot of guts to name their new Falcon a Cobra and the engine a "Boss 302..."

Figured something was up with them when a while back everyone recommended getting the "Australian" Cleveland 2V heads for mine (the '72 w/351C). I remember thinking to myself, "What's going on over there that we don't know about?" :headspin:

...for sure. I guess the long leash let's the dog roam a bit freer ;-)

Well, at least SOMEONE is exercising the Boss trademark for Ford in the meantime :hysterical:

Archived