TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I noticed no adj Panhard on 40th package

I noticed the 40th Shelby Eibach package does not come with a Panhard bar so I take it they used the stock one. My question is I am thinking about ordering the Shelby Eibach suspension package for my GT500 and am wondering would I still need a panhard bar for my 20inch Razors to fit right.

Unless I missed something and you guys have a adj. panhard?

Here's a pic of the Shelby/Eibach suspension installed.

My 40th has this installed, but I haven't picked it up yet.

KingCobra.

Geeze! You think they'd at least clean the rust off the rear before putting on the new stuff.

Geeze! You think they'd at least clean the rust off the rear before putting on the new stuff.

Silly rabbit! Then Shelby Autos would be in the 'Shelby restoration business', not the Shelby building business....and add labor/cost to the installation.

As an aside, that's a relatively easy fix at home...see Bad Boy for tips on that one! Hope this helps a bit...

Silly rabbit! Then Shelby Autos would be in the 'Shelby restoration business', not the Shelby building business....and add labor/cost to the installation.

As an aside, that's a relatively easy fix at home...see Bad Boy for tips on that one! Hope this helps a bit...

The rust problem is an easy fix that we should not have to do.

Video:

th_Sep152007-VID00001.jpg

The rust problem is an easy fix that we should not have to do.

Video:

th_Sep152007-VID00001.jpg

Yeah, what Grabby said.

Now, if Shelby Autos gets a year old car with crud all over it, then I'd expect them to charge to clean it up. But to not fix a known deficiency while their doing a $30k upgrade on a SS car that is brand new seems to be taking a short cut to me.

No disrespect Crispy, just my opinion.

Yeah, what Grabby said.

Now, if Shelby Autos gets a year old car with crud all over it, then I'd expect them to charge to clean it up. But to not fix a known deficiency while their doing a $30k upgrade on a SS car that is brand new seems to be taking a short cut to me.

No disrespect Crispy, just my opinion.

None taken, but.....Ford built that car, right?? You paid Ford and they warranteed that car, right?

Shouldn't you expect Ford to fix the problem that they manufactured?

Why would/should Shelby pay for Ford's mistake? That just doesn't make any sense to me...and that's why warranty costs are built into every vehicle they make...

Further, when you have a 3rd party fix an existing problem from another manufacturer, what happens when you are not happy with results? Why not just go to Ford in the first place to correct the problem?

Further, in Ford's defense, I have never seen the undercarriage of any car not get some surface rust. Ever. But if you're not happy with Ford's mfg work, I would take it up with Ford and either get them to correct the problem or do it myself....just my .02

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the rears will still fit, they may be too wide, the offset is different from the new ones. The 20 inch razors are more narrow than the stock tires, but because fo the rim design they actually look much wider than the stock ones. But since the stock ones are slightly shorter, they may still work.

You will need to add an adjustable panhard bar. The left rear will stick out farther than the right rear. Visually it is not very obvious, but the tires do rub if you run the 20 inch Razors.

I would think they would need the adj panhard if needed. Does it rub on daily driving?

I just spoke with John from SAI. He is unaware of any rubbing on the tires or offset as a result of not have an adj panhard bar. He will be checking this forum for details. If there is any sort of problem they want to fix it. Could someone please describe the problem in detail...where it is rubbing, how it is offset etc. They have done 35 of these and are willing to look into anything that causes concern.

Thanks all.

bb

I e-mailed John at SAI today and he replied that they are very busy due to SEMA show and would get back to me after discussing it with his team. I am confident that they will make it right. As far as the details of the rubbing, the tire rubs on the upper lip of the left rear fender well when the suspension is compressed. Without going into a lot of technicals, it has to due with the geometry of the suspension of this car. The panhard bar is mounted at an angle, between the frame and the rear axle housing. When the car is lowered, that geometry changes, which causes the left rear tire to move out ever so slightly. Since the car now sits lower and the tires hang out a little further, it causes some slight rubbing when the suspension is heavily compressed such as when hitting a dip in the pavement. By putting an adjustable panhard bar on the car you can change the length of the bar to correct the offset. It is a very simple solution, but something that is necessary.

I e-mailed John at SAI today and he replied that they are very busy due to SEMA show and would get back to me after discussing it with his team. I am confident that they will make it right. As far as the details of the rubbing, the tire rubs on the upper lip of the left rear fender well when the suspension is compressed. Without going into a lot of technicals, it has to due with the geometry of the suspension of this car. The panhard bar is mounted at an angle, between the frame and the rear axle housing. When the car is lowered, that geometry changes, which causes the left rear tire to move out ever so slightly. Since the car now sits lower and the tires hang out a little further, it causes some slight rubbing when the suspension is heavily compressed such as when hitting a dip in the pavement. By putting an adjustable panhard bar on the car you can change the length of the bar to correct the offset. It is a very simple solution, but something that is necessary.

Thank you for helping all of us.

I hope this can be solved quickly!!! We will be flying down to Vegas on October 29th (10 days), and driving back my new 40th on November 2nd.

I live in British Columbia, it is a LONG drive, that I am REALLY looking forward to experiencing my new suspension!!!

Thanks for all of the details into describing what you have experienced, and thanks John for looking into it for us.

KingCobra.

I hope that you are as pleased as I was when I picked my car up. IT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! The car looks completly different. My car is a black coupe, and I LOVE the new silver stripes, I think it brightened up the car a lot. It looks and sounds a lot more aggressive than it did. And as I said before, you will turn heads everywhere you go. ENJOY! P.S. John and everyone at SAI are great people to work with. I have been as frustrated and anxious as everyone else waiting for this to finally happen, but IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!

I hope that you are as pleased as I was when I picked my car up. IT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! The car looks completly different. My car is a black coupe, and I LOVE the new silver stripes, I think it brightened up the car a lot. It looks and sounds a lot more aggressive than it did. And as I said before, you will turn heads everywhere you go. ENJOY! P.S. John and everyone at SAI are great people to work with. I have been as frustrated and anxious as everyone else waiting for this to finally happen, but IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!

I don't suppose that you have the ability to post video/audio of the new Borla exhaust at idle and revving???

How do you like the new Pirelli P Zero Nero's???

KingCobra.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't suppose that you have the ability to post video/audio of the new Borla exhaust at idle and revving???

How do you like the new Pirelli P Zero Nero's???

KingCobra.

How does the 40th ride? sound? are the tires sticking out on one side? do the tires rub? is SAI going to use adj panhard bars now?

Thanks!

How does the 40th ride? sound? are the tires sticking out on one side? do the tires rub? is SAI going to use adj panhard bars now?

Thanks!

I absolutely love the 40th package, and am thrilled with my decosion to do it!!!!!!!

There is a squeek/rub in the rear drivers side suspension when dips in the road compress the suspension.

Higher speeds (highway vs. city) = greater compression = increased squeeking/rubbing.

I am not sure what the result will be, but I do know that Shelby is looking into this issue right now. I assume

that either an adjustable panhard bar or watts link will be necessary to correct the problem.

I am sure that we will hear from SAI soon.

KingCobra.

My car returned home yesterday from SAI. It's a black vert with chrome razors. (XL0029). The car is beautiful. I did not know that SAI would change out the stripes above the rocker panels. All stripes are now silver. The P zeros are as wide as humanly possible without installing flares on the rear wheel wells. The clutch hop is gone. The car really sticks to the road. It used to be real easy to spin the tires. Now the tires stick and the accelleration is awesome. I canot tell much difference in the exhaust at idle. However, my wife said she could now hear me drive all the way out of the neighborhood from inside the house.

I haven't done any hard driving to test the suspension, however, on hard acceleration, my car launches perfectly straight without the fishtailing that used to occur when the tires broke loose.

The car has been lowered, so leaving the driveway (a have an approximatley 5" drop) is scary because the front splitter is very low and will not clear without careful entry. Speed bumps are also a concern.

However, the car is beautiful,. drives better, sounds better... Thanks SAI...

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to John Walker yesterday regarding the slight rubbing of the left rear wheel. He stated that SAI will be sending me an adjustable panhard bar as soon as possible. John said that SAI is setting up a jig so that the bars can be properly adjusted at SAI so that upon receipt I only have to unbolt the original and replace it with the new. My car was one of the first 40 or so modified, so I would guess that all others modified before mine will also receive the adjustable panhard bar. I would email John Walker at SAI to be sure...

• 1 month later...
I talked to John Walker yesterday regarding the slight rubbing of the left rear wheel. He stated that SAI will be sending me an adjustable panhard bar as soon as possible. John said that SAI is setting up a jig so that the bars can be properly adjusted at SAI so that upon receipt I only have to unbolt the original and replace it with the new. My car was one of the first 40 or so modified, so I would guess that all others modified before mine will also receive the adjustable panhard bar. I would email John Walker at SAI to be sure...

Got my car in July and being one of the first done I did not know about the bar.I called John W just recieved my panhard from SAI,looks like its all set to go. I do remember hearng a noise in the rear before I put the car away for the winter.I hope this cures that come springtime.Will keep 40th people informed.

Kevin

I received my new panhard bar too, but the "locking nuts" on either end of the bar are loose, so I don't think mine has been pre-adjusted.

Does anyone know how SAI wants us to to have these bars installed??? I have heard that they take up to 3.5 hrs of shop time to complete the swap!!!

Is everyone's bar powdercoat blue?

KingCobra.

Archived