TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many will be produced?

MRHAVASU

I am sure that I missed this but, how many of these shelby gt500 cars is Ford going to make? I was told that after 08, Ford will stop production on the shelby. Does anyone have the info? Thanks in advance.

Busy and ugly posts on this, no official word, allot of conjecture at this time. Best fact thus far is it was supposed to be a two year deal, 07 and 08, however the agreement leaves options for additional years! Hope that helps.

10,844 for 07

8,000 or so(not including 1000 KRs) for 08

In 2009 I kind of hope(shelby fans please don't hurt me) that they do an SVT version, w/o Shelby's name on it, perhaps with the same price tag, since in some ways i still believe that this version of the GT500 is underpriced(at MSRP)

This 5.4L S/C, 500HP level can be continued for 09 with or without compensating Mr Shelby for his endorsement. Can't imagine any logical reason to discontinue a car that is obviously selling extremely well. That decison has likely been made but will not be anounced until next year in order to preserve the notion of a limited run and maintain strong sales on the 08.

I know you and I have gone around and around on this before, but I fail to see the logic in a motor dictating a style and moniker! I think Ford will stick by its original comments of limited run, about 20k for 07 and 08. Ford also stated a new Mustang or two, per year, to spice things up. So if the motor is used, it will more than likely be a variation (No SC?) and placed in another Mustang model (Boss?). That makes the most logical sense as if Ford just arbitrarily continues building GT500's they will loose face on the term "limited run".

Interesting comments, but I would imagine with the new camaro and dodge coming out, Ford

will have to have something in the same hp range as the shelby. From everything that I can find, the camaro will have a readily available 400hp v8, probably the 6.2 and who knows what for the z28.

Dodge is supposed to have a real hemi in their car. It would be a shame to see the shelby go away.

I can follow your thoughts and certainly respect your opinion, however I don't see Ford retreating in the horsepower arena when a full blown performance war is in its early stages.

But also keep in mind, the gas mile issues are also heating up! How much of a market is there going to be for high HP cars with bad miles per gallon? And more so, in that GM is planning on building tens of thousands of Camero's! I think it could go either way, but I think all the big HP cars will be limited, if not by production, by buyers! I think Ford will be better served to create great looking Mustangs, with or without the big HP motors, but yet allow the motor to be modded. Take the GT500 motor, remove the blower, sell it as a 300+ HP car, let the end user make it a monster! Still using the motor, less some HP, but they can get more production, better gas, and appeal to a bigger buying public! Just my opinion! We shall see!

The gas mileage issue is being addressed. Direct Injection, Displacement on Demand(cylinder deactivation) and overall weight reduction will, if properly implemented satisfy the governments increasingly stringent minimums.

We as performance junkies are members of an extremely small number of auto consumers who would actually purchase a vehicle with these incredible power to weight ratios. The production of relatively small numbers will satisfy the enthusiasts who are financially capable.

Well put Doctor.

I just read the other day that they are expecting oil to reach 100 dollars per barrel in the very near future. That would mean over 4 dollars per gallon of gas easily. Greed is getting people at every corner.

Archived