TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripes on the GT500

85gt

Howdy All,

Great site!!!!! I've been lurking for month's, and have finally decided to ask a question, or rather ask if I'm the ONLY person to veiw this / have a strong opinion of it.

I've been following this car since before the GT bowed in Detroit in Jan '04. I ran across pics "leaked" on the internet somewhere mid way through '03 (anybody else remember the champaign "Eleanor" with side pipes, scoops, and Halibrand knock off's?) and thought, "Now THAT'S a Shelby Mustang, no badges needed. If THAT is anywhere CLOSE to the new car, I gotta have me one of those!" Not only was it close, it was spot on. I had heard a rumor that something beyond the GT, (I couldn't have known how FAR beyond the GT) and reaching into The Mustangs early days was going to appear in time.

On to my question...

Is anyone else considering having their stripes painted on after delivery instead of stuck on to fix all the gaps created by doing it with vinyl ?

Does anyone else here feel that the treatment of the LeMans stripes across the rear bumper facia just DOESN'T work well at all! Here Ford has crept upward with the price, and is still uncommittal as I write this. I know that it is way too late to affect early production, but perhaps later during the two year run we could ask politely if they would consider fogging the recess with the stripe color in paint prior to applying that section of decal so that the stripes wouldn't appear so cheap. (Yeah, I'd pay a coupla bucks for this) Yes, I realize this is a mass produced vehicle, and certain concessions creep in along the way but the way the stripes break around the plate just SCREAM'S beancounter's! I can almost accept every other panel on the car, but the rear license plate area just screams cheap to me, almost a reason to delete the stripes.

And how about the BOLD moves ad campaign? The one with pop and son in the Vista Blue GT smokin' (er, rather, ROASTING the second time. GREAT RR 3/4 shot of smoke pouring out of the wheelwell!!! ) the tires not once, BUT TWICE had me on the floor. Anyone else notice that since this latest cars intro ( S197 ) Ford has really burned down more tires than at any time in recent memory. From press launch's to still media pics, to ad campaigns the car has really been depicted WELL don't you think? :banvictory:

I'm curious to hear opinions. WOW, I better cut this off before I really get longwinded...lol

I may be wrong - but I think the "painted" stripes on the Ford GT are a $5,000.00 option.

Bryan

They are $5,350.00, to be exact.

A reliable insider at the AAI Shelby plant indicated that Ford originally wanted to implement painted stripes on the GT500 from the very beginning. Due to multiple constraints at the plant, this proved to be virtually impossible. AAI builds the Mazda 6 and ALL variants of the Mustang platform intermixed on the same line. It's not just a design or cost factor, it is a logistics issue for production. Three previous generations of vinyl stripes were designed, and all were horrible. Vinyl cannot be applied to the uneven surface areas on the bodywork for risk of peeling, etc.

I suggest one of three things:

1) Order one or both stripe delete options and leave the car a solid color of your choice; or

2) Order both stripe delete options and have the stripes painted to your preference; or

3) Choose the color/stripe combo you prefer and just be glad it didn't cost $5,350.00.

I may be wrong - but I think the "painted" stripes on the Ford GT are a $5,000.00 option.

Bryan

Hmmmm, Uh, Er, Ahh...., No, what I was suggesting was having a local shop apply them, heck no, Ford will want an arm and the legs of your first born to do this at Flat Rock. I just find the stripes cheap looking, actually almost detracting from the car, and I know what vinyl does long term here in Texas. The rocker stripes are fine though, that was how they were done 40 years ago.

They are $5,350.00, to be exact.

A reliable insider at the AAI Shelby plant indicated that Ford originally wanted to implement painted stripes on the GT500 from the very beginning. Due to multiple constraints at the plant, this proved to be virtually impossible. AAI builds the Mazda 6 and ALL variants of the Mustang platform intermixed on the same line. It's not just a design or cost factor, it is a logistics issue for production. Three previous generations of vinyl stripes were designed, and all were horrible. Vinyl cannot be applied to the uneven surface areas on the bodywork for risk of peeling, etc.

I suggest one of three things:

1) Order one or both stripe delete options and leave the car a solid color of your choice; or

2) Order both stripe delete options and have the stripes painted to your preference; or

3) Choose the color/stripe combo you prefer and just be glad it didn't cost $5,350.00.

Thanks Fast stuff, should I be able to corral fundage by '08, I may just go with #2, I'm just too familiar with the original cars to be able to stomach the vinyl. This is still a long way off for me though I'm afraid :play:

Archived