TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do I tell my wife?

wildcat

Is there any statistic like the chance of dying at a drag strip in a stock street car being less than getting struck by lightning or something? That would help!

All of these statistics exist, once you make them up. :doh:

But really, if you've got the need for speed, the track offers an outlet:

No deer

No pedestrians

and no oncoming traffic!

If you're going to drive fast, where would she rather you do it? :dog:

Practice the "percentage" rule.

She gets XX% of whatever you spend on the car to buy what ever she wants. You have to adjust the actual percentage according to your own financial situation. If you bring in all of the money than you give her a smaller (but fair) cut. I have seen this work many times.

Don't bother to try and hide the mods, she may not notice at first, but she will find out eventually..and that is just a fight waiting to happen.

Good Luck.

Don't bother to try and hide the mods, she may not notice at first, but she will find out eventually..and that is just a fight waiting to happen.

Good Luck.

But its easier to ask for for giveness than it is for permission :headspin:

Like Ice said, its a hobby and it helps you keep your sanity. I have 3 kids of my own all under the age of 7 and the car lets "me" have something. Case and point, I went to Sebring last Saturday. I'm running the car and obviously couldn't take her call at the time. When I did finally talk to her during a break she was ELATED to hear how excited I was about running the car and having a good time. I'm not trying to kill myself nor do I want to and nor does my wife want me to. She simply realizes that a love of cars, speed and racing is something I was born with. If you can get your wife to watch my video on youtube and explain I have 3 kids and its completely safe. It's just something that some women simply don't understand. Just like we don't understand why a diamond eternity band or a Louis or Coach or Gucci bag is such a need or necessity. It's not, its something they like and enjoy. Ours just happen to go 150 MPH and need tune ups and changes, just like diamonds need polishing.

If that doesn't work, I am sure you might have a least one son in your household. Buy Dr. James Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys" on CD and listen to it. Then let her listen to it. Maybe then she will start to understand a little bit more of how the male brain is wired so completely different than a female brain and she will get a better understanding of male needs and wants.

agreed that we all have different lives and wives, but this is how i handle the situation because i have had the same conversation with my wife, and my thing is this, i am going to have a hobby whether it's the car or something else. i could be running the bars, cheating, driving drunk, skydiving, (enter your wife's worst nightmare here) etc. but i spend my time in the garage, track, riding w/friends in town. my wife has been supportive for the most part, still fusses about the money spent but still let's me do it. normally it will all depend on the mood she's in.

Like Ice said, its a hobby and it helps you keep your sanity. I have 3 kids of my own all under the age of 7 and the car lets "me" have something. Case and point, I went to Sebring last Saturday. I'm running the car and obviously couldn't take her call at the time. When I did finally talk to her during a break she was ELATED to hear how excited I was about running the car and having a good time. I'm not trying to kill myself nor do I want to and nor does my wife want me to. She simply realizes that a love of cars, speed and racing is something I was born with. If you can get your wife to watch my video on youtube and explain I have 3 kids and its completely safe. It's just something that some women simply don't understand. Just like we don't understand why a diamond eternity band or a Louis or Coach or Gucci bag is such a need or necessity. It's not, its something they like and enjoy. Ours just happen to go 150 MPH and need tune ups and changes, just like diamonds need polishing.

If that doesn't work, I am sure you might have a least one son in your household. Buy Dr. James Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys" on CD and listen to it. Then let her listen to it. Maybe then she will start to understand a little bit more of how the male brain is wired so completely different than a female brain and she will get a better understanding of male needs and wants.

+1

And I really enjoyed your video. That looks like a ton of fun. The sound of your SC on the track is very cool.

Here is a 'Wife's (per say) point of view, if you give her Lots of Attention and Lovin :roses::wub: you will have Anything and Everything you ever wanted. :yahoo:

Personally MY opinion on this the MORE HORSEPOWER THE BETTER, OH YEAH!!! :yup: :burnout: :happy feet:

She won't understand the mods just like you don't understand why she needs another pair of shoes to add to the already 100+ in the closet. Explain that to her. We're all different.

I used to cringe when going to my friends house a while back with his '71 442, 500+HP big-block. His mommy would say to him "Why do you have that car? It's so impractical!" I would say to her, "listen, he's in his 20's and you are older!! You're not going to understand!!" Anyways, shortly after that he married someone just like his mommy and made him sell it. :doh: She would also bust my @ss about my Mustang. I told her to enjoy driving her Toyota minivan.

She won't understand the mods just like you don't understand why she needs another pair of shoes to add to the already 100+ in the closet. Explain that to her. We're all different.

I used to cringe when going to my friends house a while back with his '71 442, 500+HP big-block. His mommy would say to him "Why do you have that car? It's so impractical!" I would say to her, "listen, he's in his 20's and you are older!! You're not going to understand!!" Anyways, shortly after that he married someone just like his mommy and made him sell it. :doh: She would also bust my @ss about my Mustang. I told her to enjoy driving her Toyota minivan.

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical:

+1 Dactyl, I have a 2 year old son and I read "Bringing Up Boys" as soon as I found out we were having a boy. My other 3 are girls (6, 4, and newborn). Boys are definitely wired differently from the start!

****Before I start, I love my wife more than anything on this earth. She is wonderful, beautiful, and perfect in every way. Now.....

Do any of the rest of you have this problem?

My wife is indifferent to the car. She is fine with me having it, but cars are just transportation to her. She knows I've been in love with this car since its inception 3 years ago. She's even okay with me spending money to add accesories and other cosmetic stuff to the car.

However, she cannot understand why I need a CAI / Pulley / Tune. She is convinced that it's because I want to kill myself at the race track. This seems way over the top to me, but she is absolutely convinced that if I get the engine modded, I'll be a track junkie and end up widowing her and orphaning my 4 young kids .... ALL BECAUSE I WANT A FEW MORE HP!!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

What can I say to talk some reason into her. Sure, a few passes at the dragstrip will be necessary, and the occasional high speed touring session at Hallett, but how can I convince her that I'm not going to kill myself! HELP!!

My situation is similar, but a little different.

1. I bought the Shelby for my wife because she is a Mustang nut.

2. I've got OCD and can't leave anything alone. (She owns the car, I own all the mods. :hysterical: )

3. My wife is worried that I'll increase the horsepower so much she'll be afraid to drive it.

Solution: Take baby steps. Make small mods, then let her drive it for a while to get used to it. Eventually, you'll get to the power level you want, and the wife will hardly even notice! At least, that's the way I hope it's going to work. I imagine she'll still poop a brick if I come home with a new KB, but I'll tackle that mountain when I come to it.

3. My wife is worried that I'll increase the horsepower so much she'll be afraid to drive it.

I smell something fishy! Are you trying to mod the car so much that your wife will eventually just be like...HONEY, I DONT WANT THE CAR ANYMORE. YOU CAN HAVE IT!........very smooth! I like it!

As stated in other posts the Shelby was a sore subject, and spending over 2k the first month didn't help matters either. (probably should have waited a while but couldn't resist the stage 2, gears and suspension mods) But I really got ripped the other day when I spent $450 on a new trolling motor when I sold the older one with another boat I had bought to resell for proffit and made a quick $800.00 for just a couple hours of work?? go figure??

Any way, I believe you have been given some great tips. One other thing is that technology in the aftermarket industry had develeped several engineering improvements that will enhance the safety, performance, fuel milage and longivity of the vehicle and improve the overall drivability of the car. With any car, the manufactures often do just the minimum on certain designs or engineering. For them to add some of these modifications to the car it would have required an extensive amount of testing and research which would have been passed on to us at triple the cost. If you figure the cost of some of this over the duration you will own the vehicle, the cost is really minimal.

WOW, I don't know if that will work on your wife but I sure convinced my self it was the right thing to do.

I smell something fishy! Are you trying to mod the car so much that your wife will eventually just be like...HONEY, I DONT WANT THE CAR ANYMORE. YOU CAN HAVE IT!........very smooth! I like it!

I'm no dummy. :hysterical:

Honestly though, my wife really is pretty cool about this whole thing. She gave me a bit of a strange look when I dropped 3 grand on a new garage floor, but other than that, I've gotten very little grief.

I'm no dummy. :hysterical:

Honestly though, my wife really is pretty cool about this whole thing. She gave me a bit of a strange look when I dropped 3 grand on a new garage floor, but other than that, I've gotten very little grief.

What's she gonna say in 2010 when you kick her car out of the garage to put your other new toy in that spot ? :hysterical2:

;)

What's she gonna say in 2010 when you kick her car out of the garage to put your other new toy in that spot ? :hysterical2:

;)

Well that's one thing I don't have to worry about. I already kicked her car out of the garage when the Shelby came home. I've only got a 3-car garage. One space for Shelby, one for my truck, and one for my work bench and tools. My 2010 toy means my truck gets kicked out. That is, unless I can find a way to fit a lift in there.

Of course, when the snow starts to fly, I have a feeling the truck goes outside and the wife's PT gets the nice warm garage. :banghead:

I have a 3 car garage too, so from day 1 part of the agreement was that when I got the Shelby, it was MY truck that got booted outside (Her minivan gets a spot and the kids get a spot for all the bikes/barbie jeeps/scooters/etc.). It's been fine so far, but with winter coming I'm gonna get tired of scraping ice off the truck. I really need to get a detached garage soon!

I have a 3 car garage too, so from day 1 part of the agreement was that when I got the Shelby, it was MY truck that got booted outside (Her minivan gets a spot and the kids get a spot for all the bikes/barbie jeeps/scooters/etc.). It's been fine so far, but with winter coming I'm gonna get tired of scraping ice off the truck. I really need to get a detached garage soon!

LOL funny you say that I just got told today "clean out the garage" because it is my expedition that gets kicked out when the Shelby gets here not her mini. The kids stuff bikes etc take up the 3rd part, damn kids and their toys :banghead:

Practice the "percentage" rule.

She gets XX% of whatever you spend on the car to buy what ever she wants. You have to adjust the actual percentage according to your own financial situation. If you bring in all of the money than you give her a smaller (but fair) cut. I have seen this work many times.

Good Luck.

that brown UPS truck coming down the street loaded with mods is big AND loud. Didn't take long for my wife to figure it all out.

Archived