TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do I tell my wife?

wildcat

****Before I start, I love my wife more than anything on this earth. She is wonderful, beautiful, and perfect in every way. Now.....

Do any of the rest of you have this problem?

My wife is indifferent to the car. She is fine with me having it, but cars are just transportation to her. She knows I've been in love with this car since its inception 3 years ago. She's even okay with me spending money to add accesories and other cosmetic stuff to the car.

However, she cannot understand why I need a CAI / Pulley / Tune. She is convinced that it's because I want to kill myself at the race track. This seems way over the top to me, but she is absolutely convinced that if I get the engine modded, I'll be a track junkie and end up widowing her and orphaning my 4 young kids .... ALL BECAUSE I WANT A FEW MORE HP!!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

What can I say to talk some reason into her. Sure, a few passes at the dragstrip will be necessary, and the occasional high speed touring session at Hallett, but how can I convince her that I'm not going to kill myself! HELP!!

I have the same problem to a degree. I actually explained to my wife as the car is a hobby. I want to make it better and for me part of better is faster. It's much safer to make it faster and go fast at the track and have fun with a bunch of fun sober car people than it is to keep it stock and drive it all over racing on the street with God knows what and who.

I have actually found after a good night at the track it's easier to drive the speed limit because for a short while I have it out of my system (despite what the prick cop may tell you from last night).

In reality I just bought things and my wife doesn't get it but she gets to buy things I don't get too. She's cool with it and my son loves it so i let him get involved too at 3 yrs old. He went to Shelby fest and he goes to the garage and washes the car and it's more of a hobby/family thing than just a need for speed fix.

Good luck as I know it can be a challenge but I'm sure in the end if it is on your holiday wish list and hints are left around the house she'll give in and eventually maybe even like the car.....I've not made it to liking the car just yet but if you look in the pics of your wife thread she's coming around ;)

That's good ice. I'll try that argument. Safer around town driving is a plus! She might go for that.

Is there any statistic like the chance of dying at a drag strip in a stock street car being less than getting struck by lightning or something? That would help!

****Before I start, I love my wife more than anything on this earth. She is wonderful, beautiful, and perfect in every way. Now.....

My wife is indifferent to the car. She is fine with me having it, but cars are just transportation to her. She knows I've been in love with this car since its inception 3 years ago. She's even okay with me spending money to add accesories and other cosmetic stuff to the car.

However, she cannot understand why I need a CAI / Pulley / Tune. She is convinced that it's because I want to kill myself at the race track. This seems way over the top to me, but she is absolutely convinced that if I get the engine modded, I'll be a track junkie and end up widowing her and orphaning my 4 young kids .... ALL BECAUSE I WANT A FEW MORE HP!!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

What can I say to talk some reason into her. Sure, a few passes at the dragstrip will be necessary, and the occasional high speed touring session at Hallett, but how can I convince her that I'm not going to kill myself! HELP!!

I will PM you my phone number and you can have her call my wife. Then she WILL be convinced that you will become a track / car junkie and that she will take back seat (so to speak). :hysterical2:

That's good ice. I'll try that argument. Safer around town driving is a plus! She might go for that.

Is there any statistic like the chance of dying at a drag strip in a stock street car being less than getting struck by lightning or something? That would help!

Drag racing has it's dangers - there is no getting around that. Thing is - you won't be there every day of the week - They only let street cars run every so often so if you make it 3 times a month that's a lot for most of us. I do about 2 trips a month unless there is a special rental someplace that I get to go to also. I'm still working on my wife to come enjoy the track - In the summer sitting out in the sun and having a picnic with the kids etc is a good time. Why not tie it into a day at the track.....just get ear protection for the kids and wife or they won't be back when the open header cars roll by.

Really I got this car to have fun with and make a hobby with and eventually it will be my son's. If it is a daily driver you have an uphill battle - if you got it as a toy/hobby then the car is just the initial investment...like a Harley which my wife hated and then she rode it with me and loves the thing. She told me to sell it when i got this car and now she told me not to sell it :) And let me do body shots on her off it :)

Probably not a good idea to get into statistics at the drag strip though.

Buy a couple million in term life and give her the policie. Works every time. She might even start helping you work on the car, however I would be very careful about that one. :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical:

Why not just not tell her what you are doing to the car? Then she doesn't have to worry. If you have to tell her about the money being spent then say it is for other things other than making it faster and more powerful. Tell her it is to make the suspension better to keep the car from spinning out or something. You are not making it faster, you are just making it SAFER!

Or buy her a $1 million life insurance policy. She might buy the mods for you! :hysterical:

wildcat,

Hallett is having one more weekend of HST this year. It will be the last Sat/Sun of October. I will be there one of those two days (not both). Bring her with you, she can sit in on the drivers' meeting and even ride with you on the track. I would be glad to take her in my car too. When she understands all of the rules and safety regulations and gets to ride a few times, she will be much more comfortable with it. Heck, she might even like it! My daughter had a blast riding with me.

If my wife is not working that weekend, she will be there too and that will help a lot too.

Hallett's HST series has never had a two car incident. That's a pretty good record. There are few places on the course where you can actually even hit a tire barrier. And the straights are short enough that you only get into 4th gear twice. It really is a great place to learn to drive.

sprint

Tell her that the mods you are doing to the car will help in converting the pollutants into BEAUTIFUL and BIG diamonds. The more you mod....the larger the diamonds! :hysterical:

That, or that the mods really serve as a limiter and that you are tuning it to top out at 65mph!....just dont tell her how fast you will get there lol

AND IF THAT DOESNT WORK! Cry and say.....BUT YOU GET TO BUY MAKEUP ALL THE TIME!

.......or have you thought about maybe, she might be a closeted speed junkie and you have just not let it loose. She might be able to smoke you!

Hey ice, is you wife still buying the "family" thing after your work ditching, rock hitting, ticket getting evening last night!!!!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

(just kidding bud!)

p.s. my kids DO love the track. I give them earplugs and they can't get enough of watching those cars smoke 'em up and race. There's only missing piece to the puzzle ... Mama!

Just tell her what Tim Allen always said.......'More Power'...........and just when you think you have enough, it's not!!.........More Power!!!

I have to say my wife has always been cool..........she's been wanting me to sell my bike for years so as to not worry, and just tonight when she said it, I said if I do I'll be buying the KenneBell for the $7000 + dollars I get................she said, go for it :))

She was cool with me with all my toys, she bought me a new T5 tranny when I needed it, cool with my CCW purchase this winter for the GT500, somewhat cool with all my bikes I've had and have, and cool when I wanted to order my Shelby.

I also don't stop her too much..........we have the atitude that bills/mortgage/family come first and fun is just as important, so if we can afford it, we buy it. Life is short, enjoy it!!!!

Wildcat, Wildcat, I'm sorry my wife got a hold of your wife and explained all of this to her :cry:

:headspin: when my wife sat foot in this brand new car with window sticker and that good smell , I thought I was as we say done south

"in the cheese grits" until she saw 130 on the speedometer. yep I found the insurance policy. my question is, Should I leave her the car in my will or what's left of it??? :happy feet:

1st I never tell my wife any details about any mods and she doesn't ask either. She knows I'm doing them just not what they are.( it's a don't ask don't tell policy ) :hysterical2:

2nd Make sure you go to a high performance driving school so she won't worry that you don't know what your doing behind the wheel while driving fast.

3rd After my wife heard ( actually overheard ) how fast the car went on the street she actually told me I'd better take it to the track (road course at LimeRock park in CT)so I don't get stopped by law enforcement and loose my licence or even the car.

After seeing what goes on at a track based driving school she knows it is actually safer on the track than out on the streets.

If she knows what having and driving a car like this means to you she will not oppose it as long as she believes you are acting responsible and know what you are doing.

One other thing....never let it rip full out with her in the car...if you do all bets are off esp the safety factor. :redcard:

Hey ice, is you wife still buying the "family" thing after your work ditching, rock hitting, ticket getting evening last night!!!!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

(just kidding bud!)

p.s. my kids DO love the track. I give them earplugs and they can't get enough of watching those cars smoke 'em up and race. There's only missing piece to the puzzle ... Mama!

She's given up and now just requests $ to spend on her own stuff. SHe's off to the outlet mall all day Sat. with a grand of hush money so to speak. She really doesn't like the car but knows I think of it like a family member practically....kinda the same with my dogs.

She puts up with it well but I have to agree with George about never letting it rip with her in the car. She never went over 40 in the car with me until one day I needed to make amerge and had to get around some traffic to do it in time and she got a little taste. I may not even allow her in the car now with the KB but since I'm on the program now I have to drive nice for 9 mo. I suspect now is when I'll start seeing all the cars I normally see when i drive the crappy jeep...Maybe I should just go to court. As for the ticket my wife drives an armored car now (Jeep Commander) and has made it about a record 2 months with no tickets. She has a lead foot but we keep her in slow large vehicles to minimize it :) No comments to me on that and she knew I was not lying because I admitt whenI do something and get caught.

:hysterical2:

I tried the route of getting her interested in the car, problem was I had to buy her another car to get her out of mine. :banghead:

Ok, first of all we are diseased and until the cure comes out, Dr. Shelby told me that I need more horsepower and RWT to offset the raveging affects of this nueromuskular/mental condition that causes my left foot to pump up and down while my right arm jerks in short throws and I'll be dang if my right foot doesn't flatten right out to the floor. sickening to watch because I'm wide awake while this happens... :snake:

anyway to my point... I don't play golf. I don't go to NFL games and paint my face. I might for my sons highschool football games because they are 4-0 right now and will probably go undefeated, but that's another passion.

I got this car to get out of working on the early ones... spending all weekend in the garage knee deep in grease and 40 year old metal... adn I've even painted my last 3 or 4 cars. Now I've retooled the garage, sold my old ones and bought a nice new one off the showroom floor with some of the money... so I can enjoy it... the other day my wife said... "hey let's take the Shelby..." wow... I've never hear that in XX years for her to want to take any of my collector cars... but now that it's new car smell and ice-cold A/C... she loves it... and I think I've added a chrome hood rod to the car and some floor mats... I might be at risk of loosing my "grease-monkey" status... but the Stage II kit is on it's way... now I will think of my self as graduated from grease monkey school and now I'm a Shelby Surgeon... making a nip and tuck here to tease out the 800HP. rock on... :shift:

As far as wife advice... the best I can give you is that if you find 1 or 2 or more things that she likes to do and do these with her once or twice a week/month... you will find that she will warm up to your likes too. Whenever you put anything ahead of her... there will be trouble, so be alert and make sure that you let her know she's still number one, ahead of the chunks of metal we love and ahead of the chunks of kids we have too.

:dreamy:

As far as wife advice... the best I can give you is that if you find 1 or 2 or more things that she likes to do and do these with her once or twice a week/month... you will find that she will warm up to your likes too. Whenever you put anything ahead of her... there will be trouble, so be alert and make sure that you let her know she's still number one,

+1000

Also,

Don't Tell Her! What your doing to the car, or How much your spending on it.

Alan

Things I have done to keep the peace with my wife...

1) Wash her car more often (detail it - don't just wash it)

2) Spend some dedicated time with the family when she knows there is some car event going on

3) Buy her jewelry (a nice tennis bracelet is always appreciated)

4) Send her to Vegas

This has been an entertaining and enlightening thread. In the end I know that everyone's wives are different so you have to be your own judge. My wife is not a huge mustang fan although she has admitted that she likes our car, and I think she secretly likes the fact that she can brag about 700RWHP. 1/4 mile times mean nothing to her but the HP number sounds really impressive. I hear her tell her friends and she loves to gloat about me buying her jewelry to appease her. Don't get me wrong, she is practicle to a fault most of the time but she is accepting. What worked best for me was to buy it with the understanding that she would find out at some point and hope that the wrath that ensued would not be too harsh. I wish I had the type of relationship where everything I wanted to spend money on was supported, but then I would be broke or dead. My wife is my sanity check on everything.

Don`t let her see the John Force accident she may take your keys.

I have the same problem to a degree. I actually explained to my wife as the car is a hobby. I want to make it better and for me part of better is faster. It's much safer to make it faster and go fast at the track and have fun with a bunch of fun sober car people than it is to keep it stock and drive it all over racing on the street with God knows what and who.

I have actually found after a good night at the track it's easier to drive the speed limit because for a short while I have it out of my system (despite what the prick cop may tell you from last night).

In reality I just bought things and my wife doesn't get it but she gets to buy things I don't get too. She's cool with it and my son loves it so i let him get involved too at 3 yrs old. He went to Shelby fest and he goes to the garage and washes the car and it's more of a hobby/family thing than just a need for speed fix.

Good luck as I know it can be a challenge but I'm sure in the end if it is on your holiday wish list and hints are left around the house she'll give in and eventually maybe even like the car.....I've not made it to liking the car just yet but if you look in the pics of your wife thread she's coming around ;)

+1 :superhero:

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll hit her with a barrage of arguments including:

1) Going fast at a controlled environment like a track is a much safer way for me to get my speed fix than driving fast in regular traffic.

2) It's really just for my ego, not because I want to push the car past it's capabilities.

3) When the wife of the guy with a Z06 tries to brag about 505 HP, my wife can laugh and say "That's all?"

4) Going through driving school at a road course will actually make me a much better driver in general.

5) If I can get extra HP in this bad boy, I won't keep talking about needing a street bike anymore (which she fears even more!)

6) Finally, the ringer .... Did you say you were needing some new diamond earrings? Let's go shopping. I'll drive!

Archived