TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling Convertible owners...

Pig

2800 miles on mine. The only mods I have are a C&L CAI and tune from VMP, and FRPP mufflers ~600hp at the crank. No buckles and lots of "spirited" launches. I've been considering a roll bar (light bar?) since my friends keep inviting me to the track. But now I'm not so sure! :blink:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am certain this has nothing to do with torque, etc... It is simply poor quality control on Fords part. I looked at many different cars, 6 Poppers, GT's and GT500's onm many different dealers lots. Most cars have these, brand new off the truck. All the people that say their cars don't have them are either pretty lucky or not certain what we are talking about. Over 90% of the cars I looked at, when I first saw mine, had them. Only a rare car would be clean on both sides with no ripples.

I'll look again more carefully, but I sure don't see any ripples so far. I've been pretty picky about looking for nicks and scratches, and I see nothing of the sort so far.

If it is something you can see in decent light straight on or from an angle, I don't see it...

Pig,

I looked at my 2008 GT500 and I have no dings or dents at all. I wish you good luck with you quest. I hope that your car has not been the vicious result of some bone head!

Dave

I actually noticed this the last time I washed my car and thought it was just a door ding, but after washing my car again yesterday, I have new concerns.

On the rear side body panels, above the wheel wells, I have "dings" on BOTH sides of my car. I thought it was just a simple door ding from some careless person parking next to me. However, they are identical dings, in the exact same spot, on both sides of my car. Actually the passenger side is a little worse, but dings on both sides nonetheless.

It was difficult, but I took some pictures and if you look closely at the reflections hopefully you can see what I'm saying.

passenger side...

post-8390-1190935930_thumb.jpg

Darn file restrictions....2 more pics to come....

Anyways, could any of you other fellow vert owners take a look at your car to see if you're getting the same thing? Like I said, I thought it was a simple door ding, but now that its on both sides of the car, I'm wondering if the body is starting to buckle from the power or hard launches or something?

Pig

No ripples in mine, '08 w/ 1200mi, but......

and I don't intend to throw gasoline on the fire....

Last summer I did notice a VERY slight depression in my hood, dead center and just a bit forward of the vents. It's very hard to see but if you catch the right light and move back and forth you can see some kind of irregularity. I went back to look at pics of when I got the car and it's tough to tell if it was there from the beginning. I've just assumed it was and after reading through this thread I'll chalk it up to a factory defect. It really bugged me at first but no one else has ever noticed it or pointed it out, so until that happens I'll just enjoy the car while I've got it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Friday I stopped by the local Ford dealer.....they had 4 new convertibles and one used 09 convertible in stock, including a grabber orange GT500 with white stripes. All 5 convertibles exhibited either dimples or dents in the rear quarter panels......above the wheel wells in the "flat" 5" wide horizontal segment between the trunk lid and the edge of the quarter panel. The GT500 was the most pronounced and someone actually "drew" a circle around it with their finger in the dust on the body. The other 4 verts were non-Shelby's and the defects were more in the way of "reflective" detectable dimples....although a few were readily visible.

I agree with forum members who believe these defects are present....to varying degrees...on all vehicles. Again....some people can see them....some just can't.....and that's OK.....

While I truly respect those individuals who "worked the lines" at AAI it is difficult to believe that this condition is caused by workers in the assembly process pushing on the panels and inducing these defects. I have to believe that this would previously have been detected at final quality control and someone would have reported this problem back down the line........This is why I believe this condition is either inherent in the tooling/stamping of the body panels, handling of the same, or a defect (non toque stress related), meaning something that just "kinks" in the metal after everything is welded together. Guess we'll just add this to the list of defective hood scoops (GTS), defective and puckering stripes, mold release dimples at the bottoms of side scoops, shrinkage dimples in plastic quarter panels and so on..... FORD; "Forget or Repair Defects" (or Dents, or Dimples)

At 55 I remember, with the clarity that only comes from being obsessed with something, that the early Mustangs were lousy with ill fitting and poorly assembled body panels, excess filler at joints, uneven body gaps.....BUT, that was the norm back then and we accepted it....40 years later, with the opportunity to now acquire our dreams, we are more educated relative to the quality in today's cars and as consumers we are (thankfully) more demanding because we know it's possible....

Last Friday I stopped by the local Ford dealer.....they had 4 new convertibles and one used 09 convertible in stock, including a grabber orange GT500 with white stripes. All 5 convertibles exhibited either dimples or dents in the rear quarter panels......above the wheel wells in the "flat" 5" wide horizontal segment between the trunk lid and the edge of the quarter panel. The GT500 was the most pronounced and someone actually "drew" a circle around it with their finger in the dust on the body. The other 4 verts were non-Shelby's and the defects were more in the way of "reflective" detectable dimples....although a few were readily visible.

I agree with forum members who believe these defects are present....to varying degrees...on all vehicles. Again....some people can see them....some just can't.....and that's OK.....

While I truly respect those individuals who "worked the lines" at AAI it is difficult to believe that this condition is caused by workers in the assembly process pushing on the panels and inducing these defects. I have to believe that this would previously have been detected at final quality control and someone would have reported this problem back down the line........This is why I believe this condition is either inherent in the tooling/stamping of the body panels, handling of the same, or a defect (non toque stress related), meaning something that just "kinks" in the metal after everything is welded together. Guess we'll just add this to the list of defective hood scoops (GTS), defective and puckering stripes, mold release dimples at the bottoms of side scoops, shrinkage dimples in plastic quarter panels and so on..... FORD; "Forget or Repair Defects" (or Dents, or Dimples)

At 55 I remember, with the clarity that only comes from being obsessed with something, that the early Mustangs were lousy with ill fitting and poorly assembled body panels, excess filler at joints, uneven body gaps.....BUT, that was the norm back then and we accepted it....40 years later, with the opportunity to now acquire our dreams, we are more educated relative to the quality in today's cars and as consumers we are (thankfully) more demanding because we know it's possible....

When I first saw mine, I wanted to run to Dent Doctors and get them out ASAP. Then I decided to drive some Ford lots, and it was a very rare car that didn't have them in some form. It has to be Ford process of some sort. This isn't happening post production. It must be happening at the plant, and can't be from people leaning, etc...

Now I don't even look for them, thus never see them....

Checked mine and no dings.I have 2100 miles on mine and a few hole shots..

Hey Dude! :lurk:

I just noticed your #92 of 108. My Alloy Vert is #83 of 108 Alloy Metallic! :tequila: :happy feet: :banvictory:

I had the stripes painted on.

As far as the dents, Mine had none when I put her in storage. I have about 3500 miles on mine. I'll check it out when I get the Shelby out of storage.

Archived