TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling Convertible owners...

Pig

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CAn you see any evidence of the paintless dent repair? I may give that a try as long as it doesn't scratch or do anything else to the paint.

Well, I haven't washed it since getting it back from the shop, but it was clean when I picked it up and looked pretty much perfect. I couldn't tell the dents had ever been there, and didn't see any scratches or marks from the repair. I just hope they don't return. I'll post some pics once I get her all polished up & pretty.

A friend of mine that has been working at AAI for years has this to say about this issue:

For what it's worth,these small dents are not buckling due to power loads or wheel hop.If you are worried about this,don't be. Most of these are due to people leaning on them and die imperfections of the Body Sides. You can find these on brand new Mustangs of any model(Pony,GT,CS or Bullitt).Most people don't even notice but GT500 owners are a different breed of cat.

Wow, eye opening thread. This is a good reason why the 07-09 GT-500 subforums should be merged into one. I'm an '08 owner (coupe) and just found this by chance.

I'm at work now so i can't check the car. I did detail it this past week and didn't notice anything. I'll have to check in the morning and report back here.

Was at a local meet (OBI in NY) this morning and saw a Vista Blue '07 Convertible with a dimple/ripple on the left rear 1/4 panel. Passenger side was fine. I spoke with the owner and he said it was like that when he picked up the car. I told him about this site and also to have his dealership look at it.

I checked my '08 Coupe. No problems to report.

• 3 months later...

My completely stock 08 black vert GT500 just got the dimple dent = driver side rear quarter, 1.5 inches below the convertible black plastic trim, 18.25 inches from the driver door. Approx 3400 miles. Was not there when purchased new from dealer. Was not there last month. And not by the previous post, someone just leaning on it. Funny, there must be a "mustang dimple club" going around and leaning on the exact spot where everyone is experiencing the "dimple dent".

This is very disturbing. I read this thread a few months back and immediately inspected mine. Was relieved then and now very disgusted.

After reading numerous threads and postings, with so many mustang/shelby owners experiencing the "dimple dent", why has FORD not addressed this and resolve this.

If I have "dent repair" done, I am sure at my own expense, there is no guarantee this will not happen again. How is this not covered under FORD warranty? This is so obvious a manufacturing defect.

My completely stock 08 black vert GT500 just got the dimple dent = driver side rear quarter, 1.5 inches below the convertible black plastic trim, 18.25 inches from the driver door. Approx 3400 miles. Was not there when purchased new from dealer. Was not there last month. And not by the previous post, someone just leaning on it. Funny, there must be a "mustang dimple club" going around and leaning on the exact spot where everyone is experiencing the "dimple dent".

This is very disturbing. I read this thread a few months back and immediately inspected mine. Was relieved then and now very disgusted.

After reading numerous threads and postings, with so many mustang/shelby owners experiencing the "dimple dent", why has FORD not addressed this and resolve this.

If I have "dent repair" done, I am sure at my own expense, there is no guarantee this will not happen again. How is this not covered under FORD warranty? This is so obvious a manufacturing defect.

Mine has ripples on the passenger side, right behind and above the wheel arch. I picked the car up in the winter so I just kept looking at it in the garage all pissed that the dealer must have had somebody bang into it, etc... Then I looked and I'd say 50% of the cars are various dealers have the ripples, brand new at the dealerships.

Either the sheet metal bending is being poorly controlled, or some stage in production is careless and causing it.

Mine can't be from torque, nor the rippples I see in the Stangs on the lots, as they are GT's and 6 shooters....

HAVING WORK FOR FORD MOTOR CO IN VARIOUS CAPACITIES I CAN PROVIDE THIS INSITE.

1ST OFF REGARDING STAMPING OF THE QUARTER PANNELS ; SPECIALLY THE REAR,FRONT ONES WITH

CONTOUR AND SHAPE TO THEM. THESE PANNELS ARE STAMPED ROLLED SHEET METAL. IT IS

QUITE FREQUENT THAT THE ROLLED SHEET METAL HAS SLIGHT IMPERFECTIONS THAT IN THE STAMPING

PROCESS CAN NOT BE REMOVE. UNFORTUNATELY WHEN THE CAR BODIES GO TO PAINT THEY ARE

SIMPLY PAINTED.

IT IS IN THE PROCESS BEFORE THE CARS BODIES ARE EXCEPTED FOR PAINTING. THE

DAMAGE OFFEN OCCURS AFTER EACH PANNELS ARE STAMPED AND THE DEFECT IS NOT DETECTED OR

WHEN THE BODY PANNELS ARE INSTALLED ON TO THE CAR AND THEY GET DAMAGE.

BODY FLEXING THEORY

ONE OTHER FACTOR THAT WOULD GO AGAINST THE FLEXING BODY PANNELS THEORY DUE TO H.P. OR

TORQUE IS THAT THE NEW S197 BODY STYLE IS SUBSTANCIAL MUST STIFFER THAN THE S195 BODY

STYLE AND LIGHT YEARS STRONGER THAN THE FOX BODIES.

JUST MY INSITE FROM THE BLUE OVAL AND 26 YEARS OF BUILDING MUSCLE & DRAG RACING CARS.

I HOPE THIS RELAXES EVERYBODIES BODY FLEX FEARS.

• 6 months later...

My wife's 6 cyl vert has one there and I believe it was caused by an external force.

They always freak out when I say 'Don't lean on my car, don't touch my car, only open and close it by the door handle,

quit fu$#**n slamming the Fu$**n door!!!!'

I am considered a fanatic here and accused of loving my car more than them....

Well

maybe

HAVING WORK FOR FORD MOTOR CO IN VARIOUS CAPACITIES I CAN PROVIDE THIS INSITE.

1ST OFF REGARDING STAMPING OF THE QUARTER PANNELS ; SPECIALLY THE REAR,FRONT ONES WITH

CONTOUR AND SHAPE TO THEM. THESE PANNELS ARE STAMPED ROLLED SHEET METAL. IT IS

QUITE FREQUENT THAT THE ROLLED SHEET METAL HAS SLIGHT IMPERFECTIONS THAT IN THE STAMPING

PROCESS CAN NOT BE REMOVE. UNFORTUNATELY WHEN THE CAR BODIES GO TO PAINT THEY ARE

SIMPLY PAINTED.

IT IS IN THE PROCESS BEFORE THE CARS BODIES ARE EXCEPTED FOR PAINTING. THE

DAMAGE OFFEN OCCURS AFTER EACH PANNELS ARE STAMPED AND THE DEFECT IS NOT DETECTED OR

WHEN THE BODY PANNELS ARE INSTALLED ON TO THE CAR AND THEY GET DAMAGE.

BODY FLEXING THEORY

ONE OTHER FACTOR THAT WOULD GO AGAINST THE FLEXING BODY PANNELS THEORY DUE TO H.P. OR

TORQUE IS THAT THE NEW S197 BODY STYLE IS SUBSTANCIAL MUST STIFFER THAN THE S195 BODY

STYLE AND LIGHT YEARS STRONGER THAN THE FOX BODIES.

JUST MY INSITE FROM THE BLUE OVAL AND 26 YEARS OF BUILDING MUSCLE & DRAG RACING CARS.

I HOPE THIS RELAXES EVERYBODIES BODY FLEX FEARS.

I respect your knowlege about these issues, but I have to say that I looked very carefully at my 07 when I first heard about this issue, and didn't see any dimple. I have never seen this car as anything more than a really fun daily driver, but I was interested, so I looked. Nothing at first, under all kinds of lighting conditions.

Then about 6 months ago, I noticed a dimple on the left side. I checked the right side and saw nothing. I took a realy good look, from every angle I could think of and in many different lightings. Still, nothing.

Then, a week or so ago, I saw a dimple on the right side, in the same location as that on the left. This was not hard to see.

Now, I suppose I could have missed dimples which were there from the start....I suppose that once I saw them for the first time they were easy to see again and again.....but I don't think so.

I can't say that this worries me at all, because I agree that the HP/flex idea does not make any sense to me. That said, I have to think it is more than chance that a number of people have observed this only after many months or even years of ownership. If we accept for a moment that it might be something that happens over time, any thought about what might be going on?

The Buick Turbo Regals with the T top would get a buckle in the rear post from torque. Hence not as much support as a hard top car. Many after market suport parts quickly became available and this issue was prevented on a properly supported car. I recommend those with verts study which support options would be beneficial. My guess is this is from jacking the car up from the unibody. (factory recommended point) It is a heavier car than past years and it's still a unibody.

This issue would probably be best solved by those who had experience with older Mustangs that required stiffining. any one???

I brought this up on the GTS forum many months ago with little to no replies and just happened upon this subject in the GT500 forum. I have an 08 GTS vert. The two rear quarter panels, above the wheel wheels on the top flat area between the trunk lid and the edge of the body have almost imperceptible ripples maybe one on each quarter panel. I seem to be the only one in the family capable of noticing these. There are no weldments or any other body members attached to inside of the quarter panels at these locations.

These are so slight that you have to be in daylight and slowly move back and forth while trying to pinpoint them by a "dip" in the reflection of an overhead wire or like object.

My car has 13 miles on it (a true garage queen)......these "ripples" were present when I purchased the car. The dealer had another 08 vert in the showroom, non-Shelby, vapor finish, which had the same ripples in the same locations. About a month later I came across another 08 GTS vert in another showroom, just off the truck.... same ripples, same location.

I am speculating some physical anomaly resulting from the stamping process???

I though about painless dent removal (PDR) as a tech can easily get to the spot from inside the trunk.......but am fearful that the fix might impart more damage ....beside the process of someone rubbing a metal tool across the undercoat finish doesn't thrill me.

Has anyone tried PDR on a vert at this location.

I took a 64 1/2 coupe to college with me. One of the distinctions between a 65 and a 64 1/2 was the raw edge of the front edge of the hood....where it turned under. I can't find the dimples described above on my 07. It was the 19th off the line. I figure, instead of fixing them, consider them as "character" like the hood of the 64 1/2 or imperfections in a hardwood floor. Yeah, character, that's the ticket!

I took a 64 1/2 coupe to college with me. One of the distinctions between a 65 and a 64 1/2 was the raw edge of the front edge of the hood....where it turned under. I can't find the dimples described above on my 07. It was the 19th off the line. I figure, instead of fixing them, consider them as "character" like the hood of the 64 1/2 or imperfections in a hardwood floor. Yeah, character, that's the ticket!

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL POSITIVE THINKING ; THE CAR ISN'T HALF DENTED ; IT'S

HALF FULL OF CHARACTER :hysterical:

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL POSITIVE THINKING ; THE CAR ISN'T HALF DENTED ; IT'S

HALF FULL OF CHARACTER :hysterical:

Anybody who goes and has these removed is probably "over restoring" there cars. Someday you will all regret it, when it travels down the Barrett Jackson line and they look for the stock body ripples and there are none. My "stock" dents are still present and will make my car worth more than all the rest!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Anybody who goes and has these removed is probably "over restoring" there cars. Someday you will all regret it, when it travels down the Barrett Jackson line and they look for the stock body ripples and there are none. My "stock" dents are still present and will make my car worth more than all the rest!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

:hysterical: I love it! Yep, those are "investment dimples, character" not dents! We'll be retiring on those dents some day!

:hysterical: I love it! Yep, those are "investment dimples, character" not dents! We'll be retiring on those dents some day!

thewheelman,

I just noticed yours in an alloy vert, too! Ours could travel down the B-J line as an '07 and '08 alloy vert pair, both with very stock and correct pathetic Ford quality control body ripples in 30 years. We could retire and sit back laughing at all the guys that killed their value by taking the dents out! "Now this GT500 clearly has had some bodywork, since the rear quarters are simply too clean and straight to be stock....this car is a clear case of over-restoration and not representative of what the factory was doing in '07-'08". :banghead:

It is our version of the overspray paint in the 60's in the engine bays of many muscle cars! :hysterical:

I walked down the dealership row when I first noticed mine, and saw that about 80% of the cars in the lot had them. Only a few were clean and ripple free. :doh::doh::doh:

I actually noticed this the last time I washed my car and thought it was just a door ding, but after washing my car again yesterday, I have new concerns.

On the rear side body panels, above the wheel wells, I have "dings" on BOTH sides of my car. I thought it was just a simple door ding from some careless person parking next to me. However, they are identical dings, in the exact same spot, on both sides of my car. Actually the passenger side is a little worse, but dings on both sides nonetheless.

It was difficult, but I took some pictures and if you look closely at the reflections hopefully you can see what I'm saying.

passenger side...

post-8390-1190935930_thumb.jpg

Darn file restrictions....2 more pics to come....

Anyways, could any of you other fellow vert owners take a look at your car to see if you're getting the same thing? Like I said, I thought it was a simple door ding, but now that its on both sides of the car, I'm wondering if the body is starting to buckle from the power or hard launches or something?

Pig

I just checked mine yesterday 08 with 3000 miles on her and no crinkles or dents in the location of yours.

I went out to the dealer the other day and checked out about 25 cars on their lot and did not see anything. I wonder if this was an issue with earlier models (07-08) that have been corrected?

Archived