TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling Convertible owners...

Pig

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not think they were snapping brackets from the torque, instead I thought the brackets were deemed not sufficient to hold the box in event of a crash. You may be kidding though based on your note.

Yea, I am kidding. I have no idea why the dents. looking at all the possibilities. :happy feet:

I just went out and checked my vert. At almost 10k miles, no warping at all. The car is bone stock. I dont drive it that hard but it has had some hard launches.

And it just had an extreamly low impact dent on the bumper cover from a SUV backing into me, fixed at the ford body shop (fortunately just the back bumper cover and absorber, no serious damage). I know I will be keeping an eye out for this problem now.

• 2 weeks later...
ok...just looked at some old pictures taken about 5 days after purchase...No dings. This really sucks if the body is actually warping/bending. I wouldn't think this would happen on a coupe, as verts aren't as structurally solid.

Any other vert owners (with some miles and occassional hard launches) seeing this at all?

Any information? My coupe has the mark starting on the passenger side. :banghead:

I have a coupe and have the exact thing on the drivers side in the exact same place. I noticed it about a week after I got the car and thought it was hit somehow although it has never been parked anywhere that I thought it would happen. It is hard to see but it is there.

I'm thinking it came from the factory that way. :shrug:

As a former Gm F body owner I must say that the last gen f body Trans Ams had this same issue. Looked like body buckle but there was a brace welded under the quarter skin. Worse on some than others but neither of mine ever changed. This was quite a issue @ the time for the GM camp.

ILLEGAL

As a former Gm F body owner I must say that the last gen f body Trans Ams had this same issue. Looked like body buckle but there was a brace welded under the quarter skin. Worse on some than others but neither of mine ever changed. This was quite a issue @ the time for the GM camp.

ILLEGAL

Are you saying that it came that way from the factory on the F bodies?

Are you saying that it came that way from the factory on the F bodies?

Mine has the mark on the passenger side and is only visible in the right light. I'm not worried mainly because this should be covered under warranty. I'll be taking the car to the dealer so they can have a look. I'm also going to ask them if we can wait before doing the repair, rather get her fixed at the end of the warranty and still have a guarantee.

So you guys that have Verts, don't feel bad cause the coupes are doing it too.

• 2 weeks later...
I just went out and checked mine. Since black has a strong reflection I looked at the reflection across that area and saw nothing abnormal in the way of waves or dings on either side. I also used a shop light and looked carefully across both sides and found nothing.

Something I did notice the other day is that when I put my top up the pins at the top of the windshield do not exactly fall into the holes. I don't remember if they did originally or not. They are not far off and I don't have to force them in but they are off a little. Not sure if that could be a sign of structural deformaty or not. Can anyone else chime in on this? New or old vert owners (relatively speaking)?

I put my ragtop in the garage with the top down and left it that way for a few weeks or a month. When I tried to put the top up, I found it hard to get everything to line up and had to have some help me push down while I latched the top. I think the top needs to be up most of the time to "stretch" the top with the sun helping some. Just some of my thoughts paknght

I visited Genaddi Design Group this week in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Some of you may have heard of them making the Ford GTX1 supercar conversions, others may have never heard of them.

Well, Mark is currently working on a floor strenthlening system that should prevent any body twist.

Its a carbon fiber floor insert is expected to be 3 times stronger than the stock set up.

I'm sure once the product is developed it will be discussed on here in more detail, but it was a really neat site to see a Mustang upside down with people working on the bottom of the floor to develop a new and useful product!

--Russ

I visited Genaddi Design Group this week in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Some of you may have heard of them making the Ford GTX1 supercar conversions, others may have never heard of them.

Well, Mark is currently working on a floor strenthlening system that should prevent any body twist.

Its a carbon fiber floor insert is expected to be 3 times stronger than the stock set up.

I'm sure once the product is developed it will be discussed on here in more detail, but it was a really neat site to see a Mustang upside down with people working on the bottom of the floor to develop a new and useful product!

--Russ

I'd be interested in learning more about this floor strengthening system. Curious as to whats involved with it and how much weight it would add. Being carbon fiber, I wouldn't think that much, but you never know.

I'd be interested in learning more about this floor strengthening system. Curious as to whats involved with it and how much weight it would add. Being carbon fiber, I wouldn't think that much, but you never know.

I was able to lift some prototype bits with one hand... no strain.

This is after Mark handed me a huge Ford GT rear wheel with one hand.

I was taken by surprise, usually you prepare yourself lifting something like a that, but this stuff was light.

--Russ

PS. Rick I left you a voicemail with a comment on your car.... one word: "NIIIIIIIIIICEEE!"

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been trying to get this "dent" issue out of my mind, but I just can't shake it. So I posted this on another forum, and apparently there are a number of 05-up GTs with the dents also. And like the Shelbys, it seems to be a hit-or-miss problem. I don't know if any V6 cars are experiencing it as only GT owners replied...but I think this is probably happening at random across the entire Mustang line.

Could it be from a machine or something on the assembly line that occasionally comes in contact with that part of the body? Or something when its being stored or shipped? Anyone familiar with the process that could comment? Do they have a big stock of bodies stored in a warehouse, and pull em as they need em? Or do they just make em as they go?

Sorry to bring this up again. Its just been bugging me. And if it is something on the assembly line, maybe Ford can do something to prevent it on future production. I guess I can have some comfort in knowing that its not power/torque related (at least i don't think so at this point).

Pig

Could it be from a machine or something on the assembly line that occasionally comes in contact with that part of the body? Or something when its being stored or shipped? Anyone familiar with the process that could comment? Do they have a big stock of bodies stored in a warehouse, and pull em as they need em? Or do they just make em as they go?

Ford, as do most automakers, utilizes JIT (Just in Time) inventory. They don't "stock up" on parts - just the opposite.

Almost all body skins are pressed from rolled steel in the AAI plant and put in racks waiting to be installed. They do not sit for any length of time. I expect in their stamped state that it is no longer than 2-3 days before they are on a car. It is pretty impressive to see.

• 6 months later...

Mine just developed one of these. I know the car up and down. I spend a tremendous amount of time cleaning, polishing and inspecting the car. I now have one of these "dings" behind the driver's side door. Car is a 2008 coupe, no shaker 1000, stock aside from Corsas and is driven sanely. I get on it, but, don't abuse it.

Has anyone had theirs fixed? Anyone doing any support mods like jacking rails? Has anyone's gotten worse or do they stay the same?

edit: spelling.

Mine just developed one of these. I know the car up and down. I spend a tremendous amount of time cleaning, polishing and inspecting the car. I now have one of these "dings" behind the driver's side door. Car is a 2008 coupe, no shaker 1000, stock aside from Corsas and is driven sanely. I get on it, but, don't abuse it.

Has anyone had theirs fixed? Anyone doing any support mods like jacking rales? Has onyone's gotten worse or do they stay the same?

Will this ding show up in a photo so you could show it to us? or is it so minor that you have to look at it from a extreem angle for it to be noticed?

I am going to go detail mine in a half hour and I will look at mine.

I just tried to get a pic of it. I can't quite get the light right. It is too dark. You kinda need bright light to reflect off it to really see it. It is fairly obvious in the right light. My wife and 12 year old daughter were both able to spot it easily.

It looks just like the ones on the front page of this thread. At first, I thought it was a door ding (and I never park within range of a ding). Then, I remembered this thread. It is still quite subtle and hopefully stays that way.

I have the same "ding" on the driver side only. Bryan at SAI found it when he checked her in for the SS upgrade. Not sure when I got this, it was not there when this thread started.

So far no problem with the white coupe having the ding.

I just stumbled on this tread...

My '08 has some ripple right behind the passenger fender flaring. Also a small dent a bit back and a bit higher. These have been present from the day I took delivery.

I was super pissed and assumed someone at the dealership dented it prior to me picking it up.

So I looked at cars on various lots at Ford dealers and many have them. A few don't have any, but I would say that more do than don't from what my little survey showed.

Mine are middle of the road. Present but not super bad. I saw a few that looked like they had been repaired by a low quality bodyshop, but they were brand new.

The is a definite quality control issue for Ford. They simply don't care, or simply arn't catching what is going on, but somewhere, either in the sheetmetal forming process, or some place it is simply being hit by something.

Has anybody tried having a paintless dent removal place try and get these out??? Mine seem right in the vacinity of the shaker 1000...

Do any of you Vert people notice front end / suspension noise on low speed impacts? 10-20mph and hitting tar lines, etc... It simply sounds like really loud tire impacts, but it seems louder to me than it should. I tested a Shelby GT and it did it, too, but to a lesser degree than my GT500.

Is this problem only happening with the GT 500s? Are their any SGT convertibles having this problem (buckling, creasing that looks like a ripple or dent)?

I wonder if it is due to the GT 500 having too much power and stress for the body to handle? I understand the SGT convertibles were outfitted with additional bracing and suppose the GT 500 convertibles as well.

Its really hit or miss whether you have/get the dents...across the board (GT500, GT, V6, Vert, Coupe, you name it). I took recently took mine in for a new tranny and had them fix my dents while it was there. They used the paintless dent wizard thing and its perfect now. They had 2 brand new coupes on the lot with the dents....one was a new Bullitt. I made sure to point them out to my service advisor, and they fixed it for free.

Its really hit or miss whether you have/get the dents...across the board (GT500, GT, V6, Vert, Coupe, you name it). I took recently took mine in for a new tranny and had them fix my dents while it was there. They used the paintless dent wizard thing and its perfect now. They had 2 brand new coupes on the lot with the dents....one was a new Bullitt. I made sure to point them out to my service advisor, and they fixed it for free.

CAn you see any evidence of the paintless dent repair? I may give that a try as long as it doesn't scratch or do anything else to the paint.

Archived