TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keeping Her For The Long Haul

nachtkriechen

So here's a thought. We see restored Mustangs, Shelbys and other muscle cars from the glory days, all over the place. You hear the occasional story of the 60 something guy that bought his Shelby when he was 20 something, kept it beautiful, and is now passing it down to his son. Are today's Mustangs/Shelbys going to be able to do the same, and withstand the wear and tear of time & weather? The old Mustangs were mostly metal, and as such can be reworked, body panels welded and formed to shape, but, to my understanding, todays cars (including the Stang) have a large portion of them that are plastic, or a form of plastic. Plastic can crack and break after only a decade or so. Will our Mustangs stand the test?

Your thoughts?

- Josh

I believe if the plastics and composites on the car are taken care of (kept reasonably clean from contaminants, and out of constant sunlight), they will last a very long time.

The thing to worry about is the paint and dyes used on the cars today.

With so many government regulations on color dyes and spray systems, todays paints and dyes just don't last like yesteryears.

I didn't buy my Shelby in my 20's, I bought it in my 40's, so when I am 80 something I could care less what happens w/ the car.

So here's a thought. We see restored Mustangs, Shelbys and other muscle cars from the glory days, all over the place. You hear the occasional story of the 60 something guy that bought his Shelby when he was 20 something, kept it beautiful, and is now passing it down to his son. Are today's Mustangs/Shelbys going to be able to do the same, and withstand the wear and tear of time & weather? The old Mustangs were mostly metal, and as such can be reworked, body panels welded and formed to shape, but, to my understanding, todays cars (including the Stang) have a large portion of them that are plastic, or a form of plastic. Plastic can crack and break after only a decade or so. Will our Mustangs stand the test?

Your thoughts?

- Josh

I have a 67 Mustang and because it was taken care of much of the original plastic is still in good shape (dash, seats, center horn pad, A pillar pads) and that plastic was nothing as good as todays. The older cars had almost no corrosion protection and started rusting from day one. Even with all that these car still survive to this day. Todays Mustangs have a much higher quality plastic with UV protection built in. The metal, while thinner for weight reduction and more complex stamping is worlds ahead in primer and corrosion protection. You don't see rusted out cars any more. Back in the day cars started to rust through within a year or two.

Bottom line, taken care of todays Mustangs with outlast the older ones. The after-market is so strong for the 05's will insure parts for years to come.

I have a 67 Mustang and because it was taken care of much of the original plastic is still in good shape (dash, seats, center horn pad, A pillar pads) and that plastic was nothing as good as todays. The older cars had almost no corrosion protection and started rusting from day one. Even with all that these car still survive to this day. Todays Mustangs have a much higher quality plastic with UV protection built in. The metal, while thinner for weight reduction and more complex stamping is worlds ahead in primer and corrosion protection. You don't see rusted out cars any more. Back in the day cars started to rust through within a year or two.

Bottom line, taken care of todays Mustangs with outlast the older ones. The after-market is so strong for the 05's will insure parts for years to come.

I didn't know today's plastic had UV protection built in. When I saw the '08 GT with the leather dash, I thought it looked cool, but, if you forget to put your sun shade up a couple of times, your dash is toast! Maybe some sun block on the dash would help? ;)

If the plastic parts on your '67 have held up (brilliant choice in years, I might add) Cave Diver, then we'll be in good shape with the S197.

- Josh

Archived