TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some order some don't

SuperSnake08

Just curious as to why so many guys continue to order a car when it seems the wait can be so grueling. I realize there is a fun factor to placing the order, but assuming someone buys an in stock vehicle as the first owner off the showroom floor, does it really matter? Provided of course it has the equipment and color combo. Any feedback??? It seems a lot of guys on this forum placed an order.

As someone who ordered mine, I can only speak for myself but I'll bet that in most cases it's about finding the deal you want. I found a dealer who accepted my MSRP offer for one of thier 08 allocation and I took it. I've waited two years to get one of these, whats a couple more months when you've got a signed deal?

I've ordered Fords in the past, so knew what to expect. Sure, I didn't get the "instant gratification" of striking the deal and driving off, but I do get the gratification of saying that I had my GT-500 built for me, to my specifications.

Utimately, I think it's worth the wait to get what you want, at a price you want.... The only way this could have been better is if it had happened years ago...

With this car it comes down to a few reasons.

One, getting a dealer to sell one at a price you want. So if they don't have one but have allocation to order one you wait to get it.

Two, finding a dealer that just has one to sell to you regardless of price. They may have allocation to get one but not in stock, so you wait.

Now if you find a dealer with one sitting there and price is no issue then of course you could buy it and drive away with it.

Finding one sitting there at a price you want to pay is the hardest part.

Everyone has different reasons for ordering there cars, waiting for dealer allocations to come up, specific options wanted or not wanted, etc. If you want this car you can't go to a dealer that has a few dozen on the lot and decide which one is for you. As for me I've ordered several cars over the years, mainly because I knew exactly what I waited color, options, etc. and plan on keeping for awhile.

I would have been totally happy with one off the showroom floor( more than happy this waiting sucks :) ) but what I ran into when searching for my car was lots of dealers telling me they had too much into the cars they had sitting there.

For reasons of my own I wasn't going to pay the prices asked, as I continued chatting with salesman it came up a few times that if they get an allocation they can meet my needs on price and I can spec as I wish. One dealer did infact call me with an 08 allocation order as I want at my price. Weird I know but I came across this scenario on a few occasions. I did post another 08 at MSRP on these forums but noone took it and they sold the car yesterday.

They were not sitting on showroom floors when I ordered mine

I was blessed to even get the chance to buy one

My allocation was slated for an over seas export

AWESOME CAR and I ordered it just the way I wanted it :happy feet:

For me:

1) getting the car at the price I WANTED was #1

2) getting the car at #1 that fit the color/style/options was next important

3) timing was least important

What this meant was looking at stocked vehicles as well as ordering - whatever met the requirement above.

ShelbyDude actually helped me find a car in CA that met 1, not 2 and was pretty far away (although so was my eventual car in NC) so I declined it.

Good thing was that I WAS able to find a car that fit all requirements and I'm happy!

I sat down with the Fleet Manager and ordered mine then I couldn't get a price out of them.

but I hung on then I was told that my car was coming in on a certain day and I didn't get a call.

So I went in and they said that my car didn't come in.

Now mind you that I didn't have a contract with them because they didn't want to set the price.

Stupid on my part but this was in June of 06

and they wouldnt budge.

finely they wanted 15 over more than I wanted to pay but I want the car just out of my price range.

The Fleet Manager said wait until the car comes in and see what the price will be.We will make a deal.

Come to find out the dealer sold the car that I ordered to someone else and that was the only one that they were getting so they had one coming from some ware else.

Another dealership called me and had the one that I wanted and for less money so I went there and drove it home that night.

Moral of my story is hold there feet to the fire and get a contract with them at the price you want

and you will have a better car buying experience than me.

Art

For me:

1) getting the car at the price I WANTED was #1

2) getting the car at #1 that fit the color/style/options was next important

3) timing was least important

What this meant was looking at stocked vehicles as well as ordering - whatever met the requirement above.

ShelbyDude actually helped me find a car in CA that met 1, not 2 and was pretty far away (although so was my eventual car in NC) so I declined it.

Good thing was that I WAS able to find a car that fit all requirements and I'm happy!

Thanks guys for the replies. I know sometimes it's good to order psychologically because it allows you to get a contract and the satisfaction that things are underway while you accumulate the balance of the cash. When I order a viper a few years back my name was on the window sticker, but I don't think Ford does that or that it matters in anyway for collectability of the vehicle.

Anyway- I am in the process of lining up my transport as I bought the vehicle out of state for a flat 50k and in Florida they are asking and getting stupid $still for these cars. The only thing haunting me is that Grabber Orange....I love Vista but.....I am drawn to that color quite a bit. Oh well too late for that. I look forward to the future dialogue with a great bunch of guys(and gals).

Just curious as to why so many guys continue to order a car when it seems the wait can be so grueling. I realize there is a fun factor to placing the order, but assuming someone buys an in stock vehicle as the first owner off the showroom floor, does it really matter? Provided of course it has the equipment and color combo. Any feedback??? It seems a lot of guys on this forum placed an order.

I ordered mine for similiar reasons posted above but also .. well .. its like when building your dream house and when completed u can look at it and see all the custom changes u had done to it and know

" this is exactly how i ordered it from A-Z"

I take great pride in my SHELBYGT500 as do most on the list. The wait for me was long .. but not as long as some. I ordered my car from the dealer I work for .. and had the luxury of checking in concepts everyday as to the build status. Heck even me and our zone rep became good friends .... Go KATE !!

It was just a blast to order the car the way i want it ... and finally after 4 mths. I picked her up at the yard in Tampa and drove it home .. got special permission from the zone rep and the dealer to pick her up at the rail yard

Everyone with a SHELBYGT500 knows this expierence " on my way to work .. stopped .. a dodge pickup pulls up next to me and the two male adults are going crazy over the car and giving me thumbs up asking all sorts of questions " A common occurence in the daily life of a SHELBYGT500 owner :happy feet:

Below is the first time i laid eyes on my SHELBYGT500

post-7556-1190757842_thumb.jpg

post-7556-1190757842_thumb.jpg

I ordered mine because I could not find a match to exactly what I wanted, and more so at I price I wanted. Mine being a vert was hard enough, then in black, with the shaker 1000, no nav, no sat, well lets just say I never came close to even hearing of one let alone find one on a lot. The wait (2 years) to find the deal I wanted and someone to allow me to order it my way, was worse that once I placed the order. I got lucky, 3 months from order to garage, and it is "my car" ordered "my way".... how cool is that! Bottom line all good things come to those who wait! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Spacifically with this car it is hard to find one already on a dealer inventory

if you only have one preference on color stripes and options.

I knew if I baught the car that it would be a torch red coupe fully loaded

with red interior inserts and shaker 1000 audio.

Then I found out the 08 options of black stripes and HID/INTERIOR lighting

and it was easier to negotiate the "ADM" on a personal factory order.

There was also a sense that this is my car through the build prosses and delivery.......

I ordered mine because they were not yet being made when I made the purchase....so it would have been impossible for me to do what you did. Now you might ask...well why didn't you wait until they were on dealer lots to purchase one? That would have been the mistake of my life...as I got mine for MSRP.

Dave

I ordered mine because they were not yet being made when I made the purchase....so it would have been impossible for me to do what you did. Now you might ask...well why didn't you wait until they were on dealer lots to purchase one? That would have been the mistake of my life...as I got mine for MSRP.

Dave

But you did not get HID/INTERIOR LIGHTING :censored::banghead:

As someone who ordered mine, I can only speak for myself but I'll bet that in most cases it's about finding the deal you want. I found a dealer who accepted my MSRP offer for one of thier 08 allocation and I took it. I've waited two years to get one of these, whats a couple more months when you've got a signed deal?

I've ordered Fords in the past, so knew what to expect. Sure, I didn't get the "instant gratification" of striking the deal and driving off, but I do get the gratification of saying that I had my GT-500 built for me, to my specifications.

Utimately, I think it's worth the wait to get what you want, at a price you want.... The only way this could have been better is if it had happened years ago...

I order a Torch Red Vert with Black side strips-WAY COOL, loaded with all stuff, my son or his son can take it to Barrett-Jackson in the year 2093, it should reap a mill or 2...

Archived