TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Bullitt is here

1970boss302

I respectfully disagree. The car must have the hood vents (just like the original) or some modern interpretation thereof. Make it look like the 396 GT from the 60's, which is what it was. A Highlander Green Mustang GT will be a mistake.

I don't think the few that will buy this car will care about the gas guzzler tax. There are 18,000 GT500 owners who didn't care. For 7,700 units, make the car 400HP. Make is something to desire. Make it something to write about in the press. Make it something that gets people talking about FORD!

I COMPLETELY agree! I'd hate to see the Bullitt be just a "Highland Green" GT. I also agree, though, that Ford does have to comply with CAFE. However, I think we're all forgetting one important aspect of this discussion... competition. Soon the new Dodge Challenger and Chevy Camaro will be on the streets and giving our beloved Stang a run for its money. The question then is, what will Ford (and Shelby's) answer to these cars be? Continue the GT500, or revive another cult followed brand? Say, maybe, the GT350? Or the Boss? I have faith that Ford will deliver, it just may not be with the Bullitt.

- Josh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some rumors floating around about a 7 liter normally aspirated engine that is being tested right now. It is awesome in it's current form - around 800 hp. Could that be slated for the Boss in 2009 or 2010? Maybe they will do a Boss small block and a Boss or Mach big block. :happy feet:

There are some rumors floating around about a 7 liter normally aspirated engine that is being tested right now. It is awesome in it's current form - around 800 hp. Could that be slated for the Boss in 2009 or 2010? Maybe they will do a Boss small block and a Boss or Mach big block. :happy feet:

Oh to get a sneak peak inside the SVT labs! :dreamy:

- Josh

If that's true, so much for the CAFE standards being meet. Anything producing 800HP will suck gas faster than you can put it in the tank.

I don't think it's possible to fit a 7L engine inside the current Mustang. They had to modify the heads just to squeeze in the 5.4L. To be sure if this engine becomes reality, it'll be in a total redone Mustang with a much longer hood.

If that's true, so much for the CAFE standards being meet. Anything producing 800HP will suck gas faster than you can put it in the tank.

I don't think it's possible to fit a 7L engine inside the current Mustang. They had to modify the heads just to squeeze in the 5.4L. To be sure if this engine becomes reality, it'll be in a total redone Mustang with a much longer hood.

The test bed for the Thumper engine is a Mustang so it will fit (see my post about the Thumper engine - it's a push rod head so it's not as big as a DOHC head). I agree on the CAFE standards - it would have to be in lieu of something - the end of the Shelby GT500 run for example - and it won't be a 800 hp version of the engine but it could be a 600 hp version that would trump the reported Camaro hp plans. Nothing is firm yet and a lot depends on what Congress decides to do in the next couple of years regarding modifying the CAFE standards. Ford is probably just being prudent and is testing the engine just in case :happy feet:

I respectfully disagree. The car must have the hood vents (just like the original) or some modern interpretation thereof. Make it look like the 396 GT from the 60's, which is what it was. A Highlander Green Mustang GT will be a mistake.

I don't think the few that will buy this car will care about the gas guzzler tax. There are 18,000 GT500 owners who didn't care. For 7,700 units, make the car 400HP. Make is something to desire. Make it something to write about in the press. Make it something that gets people talking about FORD!

I'll go with you on the hood vents for sure, but NOT on other add-ons like scoops, etc. I also agree that Ford should make our jaws drop with this model so much that we say, "I can't believe they really DID it!!!" I would pleasantly pay the GGT in order to get a 400HP, 6-speed sleeper of a Mustang. What a car that would be!! Ford has an opportunity here to really get people talking (and buying). Let's hope they take advantage of it..................

I COMPLETELY agree! I'd hate to see the Bullitt be just a "Highland Green" GT. I also agree, though, that Ford does have to comply with CAFE. However, I think we're all forgetting one important aspect of this discussion... competition. Soon the new Dodge Challenger and Chevy Camaro will be on the streets and giving our beloved Stang a run for its money. The question then is, what will Ford (and Shelby's) answer to these cars be? Continue the GT500, or revive another cult followed brand? Say, maybe, the GT350? Or the Boss? I have faith that Ford will deliver, it just may not be with the Bullitt.

- Josh

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Ford will counter the upcoming Challenger and Camaro with the GT500 and possible GT350, Boss and Mach 1 models. I just wish it would've been the Bullitt. But it would be a great coup for Ford to come out early with a properly-powered Bullitt.

The original in 1968 was just that a green Mustang GT, complete withOUT badging and if it weren't for beefing up the Mustang and slowing down the Charger the Mustang wouldn't have stood a chance.

It had what was, at the time, the largest engine avail in a mustang - the 390ci FE (S-code).

Later on in the 1968MY, (1968.5) Ford offered the 428 which was much more in line with what Chevy and Dodge was offering HP wise.

The poor 390 was just too heavy and not enough HP to really make an impact compared to a 440 Charger or a Big Block Camaro of the day.

I am not impressed. A GT without fog lights. Big deal. Although it doesn't have those ultra-lame fake hood & side scoops like the S GT... who actually thinks those are cool??

The Bullitt will be a great car for the average Joe/Mary. It's a limited edition and if kept for

20 + years it maybe worth more than an average Mustang. You can't compare it to a

Shelby GT500 . You must compare it to the Mustang GT. If they remake the movie

Bullitt it will help sales.

Just as the 2001 Bullitt is unique, so will be the 2008 . It will be an understated GT which I believe is cool. You'll look at it and think it's a V6, but with some extra goodies that even the GT's don't have. Neat!

There is something to be said for the "wolf in sheep's clothing" approach. That's pretty much the allure of a BMW M5. Outside and in, it looks like just another luxury sports sedan... but under the hood lurks a 500 HP V-10 that redlines at 8,250 RPM! Oh Mama!

That makes me think a little differently about the Bullitt now. Though, I'd still rather have a bigger engine, than just 12 more horses.

- Josh

There is something to be said for the "wolf in sheep's clothing" approach. That's pretty much the allure of a BMW M5. Outside and in, it looks like just another luxury sports sedan... but under the hood lurks a 500 HP V-10 that redlines at 8,250 RPM! Oh Mama!

That makes me think a little differently about the Bullitt now. Though, I'd still rather have a bigger engine, than just 12 more horses.

- Josh

Yeah, I'd rather have a more serious mill too in the 375-400HP range, but I'm not so sure that Ford is going to make that happen (unfortunately). Hopefully Ford will come up with something for those who want more muscle.

This was posted on blueovalnews. All the info fit to print on the Bullitt

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=16905

Attached is the 2008 Mustang Order Guide released October 1, 2007 including the official information on the 2008 Bullitt Package!

BULLITT PACKAGE (54B) (Job #2)

Not available with:

• Premier Trim w/color accent package (68B),Comfort pack

(53B), Cal Special (54C), GT Appearance Pack (54G), Heated

drivers/passengers seats (65A), Interior Upgrade pack (18G),

Sport Interior Appearance pack w/color accent (18M), Racing

stripes, "over the top" (47A) or genuine ford accessory chrome

exhaust tips (90E).

Requires:

1.GT Premium 140A (Coupe Only)

2.Manual Transmission

Includes:

• Ford Racing Power Pack (cold air induction system)

• High Performance Calibration

• Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® front brake pads

• Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace

• Serialization Label on Strut Tower Brace

• Sport Tuned Suspension (shocks/springs/stabilizer bar)

• Modified "H" Pipe

• 3.73 :1 Limited Slip Rear Axle

• Dark Grey Brake Calipers

• 18" Euro-Flange Bullitt Wheels w/Charcoal Satin Finish

• Tire Inflation Kit provided in lieu Space-saver mini spare

• 3 ½" Packed Exhaust Tips

• New Upper Grille w/o Fog Lamps or Pony Badge

• Bullitt Emblem on Faux Fuel Cap

• Black Interior w/upgraded steering wheel

• Sport Leather Seat Appearance

• Unique IP Finish (gunmetal engine turn pattern)

• Aluminum Interior Accents (ball shifter/sill plate/pedal covers)

• Includes spoiler delete/not available with GT spoiler

• Available in Highland Green or Black exterior paint colors

So it is more than just a green GT its got the Power Pack, Handling Pack, and 3.73 gears. That's a nice combo. Basically, it's what I have done to mine so far BUT the buyer of a Bullit will still have their factory warranty and I may or may not. If you want a little more umph just add the Super Pack. All those packs in the Bullit specs total about $2000 in parts and another $400 in labor to install - lets compare that to the option price.

I agree Mark, nice combo. If I wasn't holding out for a Boss, I'd give the Bullitt serious consideration. I would have like to see Ford step up the HP a bit more but since there is still no serious direct competition in the marketplace, one can only assume Ford is "saving their ammo" until needed.

I agree Mark, nice combo. If I wasn't holding out for a Boss, I'd give the Bullitt serious consideration. I would have like to see Ford step up the HP a bit more but since there is still no serious direct competition in the marketplace, one can only assume Ford is "saving their ammo" until needed.

Faster than a speeding Bullitt . Ford has it right and like you I am also waiting

for the new Boss. Hope Ford will go with a yellow like the 1970 Boss's had.

I doubt you'll get the new Bullitt option for $2000. I think that may just be a starting price point, just like the Shelby GT's were similarly priced for the unique Cal. Special fascia treatment. Then the upcharging started for other bits from SAI. Ford will do something much the same in the way of pricing, but cheaper, as it's done in-house. The 2001's were approx. $3500 over a regular GT, so add in inflation and a new model and we should be somewhere around the $5000 mark. But that's just a guess..................

Just an interesting note... the Shelby GTs came not so long ago, and were going for quite a bit over MSRP. The Shelby GTs (if I remember correctly) were/are 20HP over the GT. Now, Shelby GTs are being sold at MSRP, and dealers can't seem to give them away. Now we've got the Bullitt, with FEWER options, LESS horse power, and LESS glitz about to be launched. Is there a bigger following for the Bullitt label than for the Shelby GT?

From a buyer's perspective (non-Bullitt fenatic), the bang for the buck would seem to be with the Shelby GTs that are sitting on the dealer lots now. Or maybe with the new Shelby GT-C. From a collector's point of view, which would be worth more money (if both were well taken care of) 20 years from now, a Shelby, or a Bullitt?

- Josh

Hey Josh - The Bullitt will have the same HP as the Shelby GT if Ford does add the Performance Pack as has been reported above. It's the same one that SAI added for the Shelby GT.

Moab, if that's true, we have a discrepancy in the statistics. The Bullitt stats showed 312 HP, and the Shelby GT-C is showing 319. Do the Shelby GTs have a different package than the GT-Cs? Which is correct?

- Josh

The reason for the Bullitt's 312HP versus the Shelby GT's is because Ford will release the Bullitts with a regular fuel tune so that they can escape the gas guzzler tax, and thus save the purchaser some money. One could always re-tune for premium fuel (like the Shelby GT) after purchase and bring the HP level back up. As for which car will be worth more in the future, I think that largely depends on the preference of the buyer really. But I believe Ford will price the Bullitts cheaper than the Shelby GT's, as all the work will be done in-house for "basically" the same car. When you have to ship cars to SAI and have them do the mods it gets expensive.

From a collector's point of view, which would be worth more money (if both were well taken care of) 20 years from now, a Shelby, or a Bullitt?

- Josh

20 years from now? I for one wont care because by then I'll have driven the wheels off one or the other. ;)

Archived