TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ICE, ICE, BABY!!!

SLB8SNK

Well after buying the complete ICE package, car wash, liquid clay bar, ICE polish and paste, I put it to the test. I started with my girls Jag, 18k miles, so I washed it with the ICE wash, liquid clay bar (first time doing that, not to bad, did a nice job), then used the paste ICE. OH MY GOD.... Took a lot of work, but came out great. So next the Shelby, I washed it with the ICE wash, did NOT clay bar as I did not see the need, but I also used the paste ICE polish! Recall, my car is Ebony....... well I have to say, even though I was tired from the all day car washing and waxing, it came out amazing! It looked so nice I did not even got for a ride, I even unwrapped the OEM car cover and used it!

All I can say, after all the opinions, most who used it loved it, though die hart Zaino guys will not believe or admit it, but this stuff is great! Easy on and off (watch how much you use, sparingly) Sold me! I will try the liquid ICE next, maybe after I put a few miles on this wax job!

Good luck to anyone who wants to try it, and go read my other posts on the subject beforehand. Lots of good tips!

I agree. First was of my car today (I know, why so late?? I was sick most of this week...)

Wash

Bug/tar remover to get some of the nastier bug splats off

wash again (quickly to get bug/tar remover off)

clay bar (dans500 - you NEED to do this... my car is new too. There IS a difference... well worth the time)

ICE liquid - easy to use, made sure to not put on too thick, VERY HAPPY with the outcome!

I'll use this again. Need to see if this lasts as long as the traditional waxes I usually use, but I hope it's close.

I agree. First was of my car today (I know, why so late?? I was sick most of this week...)

Wash

Bug/tar remover to get some of the nastier bug splats off

wash again (quickly to get bug/tar remover off)

clay bar (dans500 - you NEED to do this... my car is new too. There IS a difference... well worth the time)

ICE liquid - easy to use, made sure to not put on too thick, VERY HAPPY with the outcome!

I'll use this again. Need to see if this lasts as long as the traditional waxes I usually use, but I hope it's close.

Joe, I was going to clay bar, but here was my thought. Paint was still new, less than 3 weeks. I figured I would wash and use the ICE paste, as it does require a little more elbow, and see the outcome. It was amazing, so I left it alone. I am sure the next round will include the clay bar, as I seen what it took off the Jag. Bottom line, if the car had any visible junk on it after washing I would have done it. But never to late, the ICE removes itself every time you reapply, so I can always clay bar. Plus I was spent after the first 5 hours haha!

I have never used the Ice Paste. I use the liquid Ice.

Which is better, and why would I switch. Can you give me a reason to even try it. The liquid stuff is great IMO.

Grabber, when I went to purchase the ICE stuff, it was all on sale at a local auto store, so I bought the wash, clay bar, liquid and paste. The reasons was that I read that the paste had some additional properties in it (more wax) and that the shine was the same but the protection a little longer. I wanted to use it on the Jag as I will not be babying it as much as the Shelby, and it is her daily driver. But, after I washed and liquid clay bar-ed her car, and used the paste, it did such a great job, that I just used it on the Shelby. Also, I was told the paste is easier to see on black when it dries. Bottom line, the first two sections I did on the Shelby, I still applied too much as it streaked. I just waited a few minutes and went back over with a clean micro and it was fine. On the rest I used sparingly and no problem. I did notice when I was all done, that there was a couple water marks I missed. I was either too tired or because part of the car was in sun and part in shade, I could not see them. However, all in all, it did a great job, and made the plastic (mirror and lower) look great.

PS. I did notice about four scratches that pissed me off. Could not tell at the dealer, as all they did was rinsed it off. There are three on the driver door and one right at the very back edge of the car where the side meets the rear end. I am sure they were all done in transport, jackasses getting in and around the car, as the other side looks perfect. The ice did a good job of reducing the look, however I did not want to rub to hard on the fresh paint. I will see how it looks in the day light and worry about them on the next pass. As they say, the car is more fun after the first scratch! ( less worry and I am sure we are all the same with regards to that )

When I clayed mine the stripes were really nasty. One swipe with the clay and it turned almost black from the gunk. Probably is from the solutions needed to put them in place and then airborne dirt clinging to the wet surface as they dry.

I had never used a claybar until buying this black car. It is just amazing how much stuff gets on the surface that the eye does not see.

When I clayed mine the stripes were really nasty. One swipe with the clay and it turned almost black from the gunk. Probably is from the solutions needed to put them in place and then airborne dirt clinging to the wet surface as they dry.

I had never used a claybar until buying this black car. It is just amazing how much stuff gets on the surface that the eye does not see.

You are probably right. And like I said, I will use it next time around. I called Turtle Wax and they recommended not using the clay bar until after 6 months? Not sure why, but good enough for me. Again, had I have seen or felt some issues I would have used. As for the stripes, I was more pissed and the couple of bits of dirt trapped UNDER the stripe! That really bites.... and clay bar will not help that. It was one of the issues I worried about and glad with the vert the stripes are limited, but I have not heard of anyone complaining about that!

I hear good things about the Ice products on a regular basis. Just. wondering if the Ice is effective at not only producing a great shine but controlling or eliminating the swirl marks(micro scratches in the clearcoat) that are so difficult with a black car.

Do not know, the car had no real swirls, did have some mirco scratches and they seem to disappear. However, most of today's waxes and polishes have the same ingredients. The terms are interchangable, so polish is wax and wax is polish. As I understand it, most the better products will reduce the marks. Just what I researched, no fact.

Joe, I was going to clay bar, but here was my thought. Paint was still new, less than 3 weeks. I figured I would wash and use the ICE paste, as it does require a little more elbow, and see the outcome. It was amazing, so I left it alone. I am sure the next round will include the clay bar, as I seen what it took off the Jag. Bottom line, if the car had any visible junk on it after washing I would have done it. But never to late, the ICE removes itself every time you reapply, so I can always clay bar. Plus I was spent after the first 5 hours haha!

No problem. Was just telling you what I found on my new car.

Even after the wash (actually X 2) there is still microscopic dirt and gunk that won't come off with a wash. To test - get a thin plastic bag (like you get at the grocery store), with your finger in the bag, run it over the car after before waxing but after washing. It will feel like fine sandpaper. Do the same thing after the clay bar - nothing! It's totally smooth, like a Playmates bottom!

Next time you wash, give it a try. You'll be amazed.

I do it to all my new cars (the wife's minivan was a bi :censored: ch!) but the results are worth it.

+1

ShelbyDude told me to watch my stripes the first time too. I washed them very well, then claybarred them... wow, the white just POPPED! That vinyl holds small bits of gunk well.

Plus, I had water spots that wouldn't come off (prob just from sitting on the dealer lot or waiting to be shipped from the factory). After the claybar - all clean!

Joe, I will do the clay (liquid ICE) on the Shelby the next time around. I did not feel any dirt, but you know these italian hands, like concrete. Next time around, wash, clay, wax.... probably before winter storage!

Here is the Ice web page:

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,1

Liquid Polish

Turtle Wax® ICE™ is a clear wax formulated with completely new technology that blends silicone and hydrocarbon polymers to provide extraordinary shine and durability.

Product Benefits

Can be applied to all exterior rubber, plastic and vinyl trim to restore color and shine without leaving white residue.

Unlike conventional waxes, ICE™ can be applied in direct sunlight or on a hot surface without streaking or wax build-up.

A single application will provide extraordinary shine however, multiple layers will further increase depth of gloss and shine.

Formulated with light stabilizers to protect your car’s finish from the suns damaging UV rays.

Complete kit includes a custom applicator and microfiber towel.

Archived