TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I wish Ford would have offered an Automatic tranny

LSR

Ford should have offered an Automatic tranny for the GT500's as an option.

I would have chose the auto., and not becuase I have had an issue with my clutch & tranny.

Ford already had experience with the combonation in the Lightning Trucks that had a 5.4 Supercharged engine with an automatic that worked well. Besides, several 60 series GT500 had automatics in them as well.

And I say option because I know there are fans of shifting 5-speeds & 6-speeds. But when it comes to speed and accuracy, you can't beat an automatic.

Well, some will come close, they don't call me "The Human Automatic" for nothing. :superhero:

AUTOMATIC'S are for those who can't shift, plus manual transmitions get better mpg.

Automatics, clutchless trannys are for guickness and accuracy which wins races.

And who looks for gas milege in a 500+hp car.

And just because you have a manuel transmission don't mean you can shift. :hysterical:

Also offering an automatic would have only given customers with handicaps or dissabilities and option to own such a car like the Shelby GT500. I know of serveral older Mustang fans that had to get a Shelby GT and not a GT500 because it was a manuel tranny car.

I dont think ford could have made an auto tranny in a small enough size to fit in a stang to handle 500bhp for 3/36 or 5/60.

If Ford fit the 5.4 under the hooh of our Shelby's, then they could build a sleeker/better auto. tranny just like the ones in the Lightning trucks for the Shelby's. They already had a baseline.

If they would offer an auto with a very quick paddle shifter I would buy it.

I thought there was some talk a couple years ago about a paddle shift Mustang.

I agree if you're racing and you want to be consistent an auto is the way to go. Then they're trans brakes, and this electronic, and that electronic etc. I understand to win you need to have all that stuff but I guess that's why I don't race professionally. I like to bang gears when I'm racing. To me it just feels right and with enough practice you can be consistent without all the electronics.

As much as I am happy the Auto was not an option I agree that it could've helped get some people with "handicaps" into a GT500. having said that I know of two people that have put auto's into their Bullitts. One for racing and the other due to a serious left leg issue.

I thought there was some talk a couple years ago about a paddle shift Mustang.

I agree if you're racing and you want to be consistent an auto is the way to go. Then they're trans brakes, and this electronic, and that electronic etc. I understand to win you need to have all that stuff but I guess that's why I don't race professionally. I like to bang gears when I'm racing. To me it just feels right and with enough practice you can be consistent without all the electronics.

As much as I am happy the Auto was not an option I agree that it could've helped get some people with "handicaps" into a GT500. having said that I know of two people that have put auto's into their Bullitts. One for racing and the other due to a serious left leg issue.

There were talks, and alot of other options that Ford wanted to use, but cost was an issue in trying to keep the car under $40k. But if they would have offered options, then it would have been up to the person ordering on the price of the car.

Many options got left out due to cost, like:

19inch wheels

cross drilled rotors

IRS

Aluminum block

Lysom blower like the one on the Ford GT

etc.... Some of these items were on the concept car, but cost is what killed them

There were talks, and alot of other options that Ford wanted to use, but cost was an issue in trying to keep the car under $40k. But if they would have offered options, then it would have been up to the person ordering on the price of the car.

Many options got left out due to cost, like:

19inch wheels

cross drilled rotors

IRS

Aluminum block

Lysom blower like the one on the Ford GT

etc.... Some of these items were on the concept car, but cost is what killed them

I think your correct. I also think Ford doesn't understand their SVT market as well as they think. Most people here paid ADM's that were higher than what those parts would have cost.

I think your correct. I also think Ford doesn't understand their SVT market as well as they think. Most people here paid ADM's that were higher than what those parts would have cost.

I'm glad that they are making a car that is affordable with this kind of performance. Making a 60k Mustang would leave a lot of people out of being able to get one, and is really their core market. Most people with 60k to spend on a car are going to be 'keeping up with the Jones' and getting the latest Bimmer or Lexus. :dreamy::dreamy:

Sir, you hit it right on the head. This is why I didn't understand why Ford didn't offer these parts as options, atleast through Ford Racing.

They were so worried about cutting cost and programs, they forgot what type of market they were building the Shelby for. Regardless of the feul economy market demand, people will buy high HP if you offer it to them.

Get rid of the ADM's by letting people order direct from the factory via the web. and give the option of factory pickup. And make dealing with a dealership an option.

True, but folks like me would have been left out in the cold. Although I could have afforded to pay much more, I just didn't feel I could justify paying so much for a car that would be driven only 3 months out of the year.

I wish they would do a special edition drag pack car with an auto option. Unless you are an experienced drag racer you would get your @ss handed to you the majority of the time by an auto. Especially with the bog or spin unpredictability of the 500. Its hard to outshift a computer.

I would still buy a 6-speed though.

Im also sure it would be heavier too.

I would have chose the auto., and not becuase I have had an issue with my clutch & tranny.

Ford already had experience with the combonation in the Lightning Trucks that had a 5.4 Supercharged engine with an automatic that worked well. Besides, several 60 series GT500 had automatics in them as well.

And I say option because I know there are fans of shifting 5-speeds & 6-speeds. But when it comes to speed and accuracy, you can't beat an automatic.

Well, some will come close, they don't call me "The Human Automatic" for nothing. :superhero:

I'm sure Brian at Brian’s Truck Shop in lead Hill Arkansas will build and Install you a 4EOD that would work just fine for you. You have a GT500 so we know you have the money cuz it’s going to take a bunch!!

And they can't do an auto for the Shelby, somethings not right.

I don't think it was a 'can't' it was more like them wanting to keep the car a pure sports car. Like it or not, pure sports car is associated with a stick shift.

I don't hate auto's but I am glad this car only comes in stick. Keeps some of the posers away. Although the only downside of course is limiting this car to non-severely handicapped people. But you are going to offend someone no matter what you do these days.

I'm happy it's been a stick and continues to remain a stick. It's one of the defining characteristics of the Cobra and has been for quite some time.

I don't think it was a 'can't' it was more like them wanting to keep the car a pure sports car. Like it or not, pure sports car is associated with a stick shift.

I don't hate auto's but I am glad this car only comes in stick. Keeps some of the posers away. Although the only downside of course is limiting this car to non-severely handicapped people. But you are going to offend someone no matter what you do these days.

I'm happy it's been a stick and continues to remain a stick. It's one of the defining characteristics of the Cobra and has been for quite some time.

I do not agree with that, why do all the european super sports cars like Ferrari, Porsche 911, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and so on have sequential transmissions, meaning semi-auto transmissions?

Does your husband have a car, too? :hysterical2:

(Just joshin' ya buddy. But it was there, I couldn't resist!!!!)

XXOO

bj

I couldnt go for paddles shifting on a Mustang, too Ferarri-ish. I dont think I will ever like paddle shifting. But an auto with a nice ratchet slap stick would be saweet. I got a bad left knee and if I spend much time in traffic clutching I end up walking like Dan Marino. I need to get one of those Mad Max leg braces...

KC666

Archived