TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Post if you have had your clutch or tranny replaced

LSR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clutch & Tranny replaced at 4480 miles

Symtoms

1) When driving the car and downshifting to come to a stop and once in neutral to come to a stop, the car would still pull forward as if it was still in gear. Even if I didn't let off the brake the car would stall as if I had the car in 1st gear and just applied the brakes.

2) The car would get stuck in 1st gear when taking off from a stop, not able to shift into 2nd gear.

3) Tranny would grind going into 1st gear & reverse.

4) Backing up my driveway, the car would not want to move as if I had the parking brake on.

2nd gear replaced @ 2200 miles--syncromesh defected

@ 4100 miles clutch replaced. Tech manuel had misprint about clutch bolts tourque. Factory replaced X 2 before it left the shop. 9200 miles no problems since. Opened track X 4 autocross X2 Drag strip X4.

I run it like I stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dealer knows what I do with it. He said he would replace things once and he would not keep replacing them.

Looks like we all better get driving so that we have time to get new clutches and trannys while our cars are still under warranty!!

This is very true.

I bought the Ford extended warranty to 7 years bumper to bumper 60,000 miles.

Best $860 dollar mod I could of bought so far.

I am sure now that many others will think about getting it.

You can still buy it.

Are 'most'' or 'all' of the tranny problems the Reverse?

No. Some.

Is it just hard to go into or not possible to go into?

Both.

While the symptoms will vary, my guess is the problem is the same. It's the clutch, and it's progressive. If you don't drive the car often enough, you may not even notice it for quite a while. Just my opinion.

This is very true.

I bought the Ford extended warranty to 7 years bumper to bumper 60,000 miles.

Best $860 dollar mod I could of bought so far.

I am sure now that many others will think about getting it.

You can still buy it.

If she doesn't fail in five years, should be good for seven. JMO

..every time that I take the shelby out, I check the clutch for proper freeplay and engagement in the garage where the floor is flat. Very easy to verify that the clutch is properly disengaging and engaging. Cheap insurance in my opinion. Once the pedal is pushed fully to the floor, there should be no movement, and movement should only start once the clutch pedal is raised partway from the floor.

John

??? Are you saying that your car is moving with the clutch engaged?

the car should move when the pressure plate is fully engaged/pressed against the clutch plates (pedal up)

I am probably misusing the words here, but you get my drift :censored::hysterical2:

..the point being, check the clutch operation each time you start up, and you will at least start to figure out if you are beginning to have a problem as described with the dust on the splines causing the pressure plate to drag.

I may be having clutch/tranny issues. I was out tonight doing some spirited driving through some twisties. I was going through the curves in third gear at about 60 and noticed a rattling sound coming some where from the driveline. It would happen everytime I got on it going through a curve and accelerating up to 70-80. Did not notice it much while going straight. Not sure if its clutch/tranny or drive shaft. I don't have any other symptoms of the grinding in reverse or movement while the clutch is depressed although I do notice a little bit of rattling shifting from 1st to 2nd. Car has about 2100 miles and stock except for Corsa's. I guess I'll have to drive it more to see if it gets worse. Any suggestions?

clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel replaced @ 5300 miles

Symptoms arose after doing a simple burnout. The clutch would not completely disengage - car was undriveable. It had the excess buildup of dust on the splines, making it stick.

With the car off, I pushed in the clutch, put the car in 1st, and started the car. With the clutch still pushed in, the car started sloooowly creeping forward (like the clutch was partially engaged...say 15-20% or so), and making the hiss noise. As I let off the clutch, it engaged completely and moved forward normally. Whenever I pushed the clutch in, it would disengage back to the 15-20% and do the slow creep thing again. Regardless of the clutch position, I could not change gears or go into neutral while the engine was running.

Here's my original thread. http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=10065

SPEC makes aftermarket clutches for the GT500.

Does anyone know who Ford sources the factory clutch from?

guy here in town, with the orange shelby on the cover of one of the mags earlier in the year, has had his clutch replaced, and then clutch and tranny. There is definitely a trend here :banghead:

this could be as bad or worse than when ford put the wrong heads on a cobra, and then had to go back and replace all of them.

clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel replaced @ 5300 miles

Symptoms arose after doing a simple burnout. The clutch would not completely disengage - car was undriveable. It had the excess buildup of dust on the splines, making it stick.

With the car off, I pushed in the clutch, put the car in 1st, and started the car. With the clutch still pushed in, the car started sloooowly creeping forward (like the clutch was partially engaged...say 15-20% or so), and making the hiss noise. As I let off the clutch, it engaged completely and moved forward normally. Whenever I pushed the clutch in, it would disengage back to the 15-20% and do the slow creep thing again. Regardless of the clutch position, I could not change gears or go into neutral while the engine was running.

Here's my original thread. http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=10065

SPEC makes aftermarket clutches for the GT500.

Does anyone know who Ford sources the factory clutch from?

Stock clutch comes from Valeo in Italy.

A friends of mine in bradenton called me with similiar problems. He has 15000 miles on his daily driver and the car now wont go in gear. No mods of any kind.

Sounds similiar to LSR's situation. Hes going to call me once they get the car apart and let me know.

One thing we all need to realize is once you develope a clutch/tranny issue where its getting harder to engage the clutch without grinding .. DONT DRIVE THE CAR

Its probably clutch related and not releasing the pressure plate completely and by continuing to drive the car u will than start effecting the syncros of your tranny and could toast the tranny as well.

This is something that ALL of us need to keep a close eye on. My car has 9900 miles and shifts like brand new ... knock on wood !

I just got my 07 and only have two hundred miles. The tranny is making a shhhhhhh noise or hissing noise when depressing clutch in first gear or reverse, while trying to ease in or out of my garage. Is this normal or do I have a bad tranny already?

St. Louis area owners! What are your thoughts on the best ford dealer in the area for service?

I just got my 07 and only have two hundred miles. The tranny is making a shhhhhhh noise or hissing noise when depressing clutch in first gear or reverse, while trying to ease in or out of my garage. Is this normal or do I have a bad tranny already?

St. Louis area owners! What are your thoughts on the best ford dealer in the area for service?

The hissing sound is normal. I think it's kind of cool that the Cobra makes a hissing sound.

The hissing noise is normal and ok.

As for service, you can't beat Bo Beuckman Ford's customer service and knowledge. I will send you a PM with their info. and directions.

Hi STLN08...For St Louis Ford service , I would recommend Sunset Ford on Gravois; they are an authorized SVT dealer(if that makes a difference). Sunset has sold and managed many of the GT500s issues since the beginning. I would try them, being the nature of the SVT delarer that they are, they should be "in the loop"

ItalianStallion

Archived