TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My car is back home with a new clutch & tranny

LSR

Picked up my car today. New clutch and tranny all covered under warranty. Car is back in the garage good as new with 4501 miles on the odometer. Will pull it out in the morning to get all cleaned up. The dealer was very good with my car giving it the red carpet treatment, keeping it elevated on a lift so no one would be touching it or back into it.

Special Thanks to:

Orf for the right connection

69NAM for a new dealer home.

I now have a new dealer home since my original dealer was bought out and closed by Ford.

:happy feet:

Good news!

That sucks that Ford bought out an MSRP dealer. Figures.

Yeah, the dealer was Riverview Ford in Columbia, IL owner was Darrel Owens. He even sold his Ford GT at MSRP. He got two GT500's before he closed, and charged the other GT500 $3000 over to get his fee back.

Good job...always good to get your baby back!! Now go clean that like it was just off the showroom floor! :happy feet:

LSR - could you do a quick recap of what the final determination was as to why the clutch & tranny to failed?

As for a final determination, I didn't get a chance to talf with the tech that did the repairs. They were all gone when I picked up my car.

As for what I have (heard) from a reliable source is that the clutch is causing the shifting problems that everyone is experiencing. Caused by clutch dust on the clutch splines not letting the clutch release and causing it to drag/hangup. The tech said he had a very hard time getting my clutch of the tranny shaft and that is was alot of clutch dust. But once off he showed me, my clutch was fine showing no hot spots or warping.

The fix I hear is nickel plating the clutch splines as well as the tranny shaft giving a smoother surface for the splines to travel.

As for a final determination, I didn't get a chance to talf with the tech that did the repairs. They were all gone when I picked up my car.

As for what I have (heard) from a reliable source is that the clutch is causing the shifting problems that everyone is experiencing. Caused by clutch dust on the clutch splines not letting the clutch release and causing it to drag/hangup. The tech said he had a very hard time getting my clutch of the tranny shaft and that is was alot of clutch dust. But once off he showed me, my clutch was fine showing no hot spots or warping.

The fix I hear is nickel plating the clutch splines as well as the tranny shaft giving a smoother surface for the splines to travel.

Glad to hear you have your car back so soon. Is the "fix" already being implemented on new GT500's and did yours have this new surface? Only thing I don't understand is what the sticking clutch plates would have to do with the car moving forward in neutral? Sounds like two completely separate problems that both happened to your car, or the transmission problem was simply misdiagnosed. ???

Glad to hear you have your car back so soon. Is the "fix" already being implemented on new GT500's and did yours have this new surface? Only thing I don't understand is what the sticking clutch plates would have to do with the car moving forward in neutral? Sounds like two completely separate problems that both happened to your car, or the transmission problem was simply misdiagnosed. ???

Said nothing about clutch plates, clutch splines. I was only told of what they/Ford were doing to fix, and I am sure mine has the fix, or Ford would have to pay the dealer to replace it again. A new clutch & tranny warranty install has to be expensive.

LSR

Id like to know that too.

Did Ford nickel plate the new clutch in your car and did they tell u if the 08s are nickel plated ?

Congratulations on getting the car back

LSR

Id like to know that too.

Did Ford nickel plate the new clutch in your car and did they tell u if the 08s are nickel plated ?

Congratulations on getting the car back

Thanks, but I wasn't there when the clutch came in. I spoke to a gentlemen that put in motion for me to get a new clutch as well as a tranny. Ford had 1st only approved a tranny change and then evaluate the clutch until I spoke with a guy from AAI. So I have to assume the clutch has the fix, because I wasn't there to see it. And the techs/dealers don't know of the fix, let alone the clutch issues.

As for what they are doing to the 08's I couldn't tell you and no I did not ask about the 08's. They could be making the change only if the clutch needs to be replaced, who knows.

Here is a quote from svtbird91

" ( what I was told when I asked about this problem durring the plant tour) .>The steps they are taking for the future with regards to this problem is to nickel plate the input shaft on the tranny and the splines on the clutch in order to allow for better slide action between the two pieces."

Hmmm. Interesting stuff. I wonder if Ford is considering a service recall for us 2007 GT500 owners, especially the early builds?

hey bro

it sounds like everyone up to now and for the foreseeable future, potentially will have this issue. I have not heard that they have started any type of fix for this on the manufacturing end of things. Now that they are very aware of the issue, they have pretty open ended liability I would guess.

John

hey bro

it sounds like everyone up to now and for the foreseeable future, potentially will have this issue. I have not heard that they have started any type of fix for this on the manufacturing end of things. Now that they are very aware of the issue, they have pretty open ended liability I would guess.

John

My guess is that they will not do a recall, and try to let the warranty run out. They know that alot of us don't put many miles on this car. <_<

My guess is that they will not do a recall, and try to let the warranty run out. They know that alot of us don't put many miles on this car. <_<

I's say you are right on the money...saving of money for Ford that is by not properly investigating/resolving the issue now that they are aware of it...I hope that I eat these words in the near future...but I doubt it!

LSR,

Do you think that this problem is going to blow up into a major recall ?

It probably will blow up into a major recall.

Everyday someone is posting clutch problems. I just help a gentlemen from Texas who says a guy from Ford/SVT is making a trip to see his clutch but has authorized a new one already under warranty. He only had 500 miles on his car.

Justin from VMP just had a clutch replacement, his was warped. And the list is growing. Before my car went to the dealer I found 8 others on this website that had the same issues.

As for recall, I don't think Ford will start one, they will just sit back and see who will come forward with clutch problems. They know it is a problem and for sure a costly one if there was a recall.

LSR - Sorry if it was posted somewhere else, but what was the clutch/tranny doing to signal the start of trouble? Only have 900 miles but want to know what to look for. Thanks

My car had 4400+ miles on it when I started to notice tranny problems. I thought the clutch was giving me problems as well, here is why:

1) When driving the car and downshifting to come to a stop and once in neutral to come to a stop, the car would still pull forward as if it was still in gear. Even if I didn't let off the brake the car would stall as if I had the car in 1st gear and just applied the brakes.

2) The car would get stuck in 1st gear when taking off from a stop, not wanting to shift into 2nd gear.

3) Tranny would grind going into reverse.

4) Backing up my driveway, the car would not want to move as if I had the parking brake on.

Clutch would not either disengage or engage. When the tech tried to remove the clutch from the tranny, it would not come off.

My car had 4400+ miles on it when I started to notice tranny problems. I thought the clutch was giving me problems as well, here is why:

1) When driving the car and downshifting to come to a stop and once in neutral to come to a stop, the car would still pull forward as if it was still in gear. Even if I didn't let off the brake the car would stall as if I had the car in 1st gear and just applied the brakes.

2) The car would get stuck in 1st gear when taking off from a stop, not wanting to shift into 2nd gear.

4) Backing up my driveway, the car would not want to move as if I had the parking brake on.

Clutch would not either disengage or engage. When the tech tried to remove the clutch from the tranny, it would not come off.

I wonder if there is any difference in Job 1 or job 2 builds ?

Many thanks, will keep my fingers crossed. NO problema @ 900 miles.

I wonder if there is any difference in Job 1 or job 2 builds ?

My coupe is a job 1 car and my vert is a job 2. The clutch and the shifting on the vert is alot more smooth than the coupe.

I feel they made quite a few modifications over the year. Before I did the mods to the coupe, the vert outperformed the coupe in every category.

Acceleration (faster)

clutch engagement (smoother)

shifting (smoother)

ride (smoother)

Cal

Archived