TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Remote start on 08 mustang GT

BLOWN

The stupid thing is if you have both they send you 2 remotes. I'm still unsure but plan on calling Ford tomorrow to see about them sending me one key fob that has the remote start built in. It shows the 2 diff fobs in the accessories brochure, yet they gave me 2 separate remotes.

The stupid thing is if you have both they send you 2 remotes. I'm still unsure but plan on calling Ford tomorrow to see about them sending me one key fob that has the remote start built in. It shows the 2 diff fobs in the accessories brochure, yet they gave me 2 separate remotes.

I realize you've already paid for these options through Ford, but, instead of going through all of the hassle of dealing with Ford, why not go to your local electronics store, and have an alarm professionally installed that is a far better one than the alarm Ford would provide, and has the remote start built into one fob by the alarm manufacturer already?

- Josh

so you're saying go to Car Toys and spend an additional $700+ on a clifford alarm? The alarm system that comes with ford is pretty good as it is. The interior IR works very well. The only complaint I have about the alarm is that it doesnt have a led showing an active alarm. Sure it does blink in dash, but its not easily noticeable.

besides that, the less I have someone tear apart my dash, the less things are going to rattle. it always seems like, once the dash is popped, its never the same. im happy with the alarm, features and remote start, I just wish they would have used one fob, like shown.

I realize you've already paid for these options through Ford, but, instead of going through all of the hassle of dealing with Ford, why not go to your local electronics store, and have an alarm professionally installed that is a far better one than the alarm Ford would provide, and has the remote start built into one fob by the alarm manufacturer already?

- Josh

we operate a service center and on regular basis we have cars towed in with aftermarket alarms installed that have failed and the car won't start.don't recomend

we operate a service center and on regular basis we have cars towed in with aftermarket alarms installed that have failed and the car won't start.don't recomend

Sounds like bad installers, or shoddy alarms to me. If after market alarm installers and manufacturers had as many problematic alarms and installs as you're saying, they wouldn't stay in business. There's a place near my home thats been an aftermarket stereo and alarm installer for the last 20 years. They've got a great reputation and outstanding customer service.

Colbymh,

I see what you're saying about squeeks and rattles after an install, however, I look at it as protecting my investment. I don't know what kind of alarm Ford puts in the vehicles, but, I've got an aftermarket alarm on my car that "code hops". It's got thousands of codes the fob uses to disarm the alarm, and it uses a different one each time I arm and disarm it. There are electronic devices out there that thieves can use to "steal" the code your car alarm, and for that matter, your garage door uses, and then open your garage and disarm your car alarm. "Code hopping" makes this type of theft impossible. My logic is, leave the car alarms to those whom specialize in it, not to the manufacturer trying to keep production costs down. But, I suppose if you've got full coverage on your car, and it's totaled by a thief, you can always get a new Stang.

- Josh

The short version of what the alarm includes is this:

It includes a sensing module to guard against tow-away thefts, an interior motion sensor to detect smash-and-grab break-ins, a separate alarm sounder — in addition to the vehicle horn — to thwart thieves trying to disable the horn, and a high-capacity, 60-ampere-hour battery that sounds the alarm longer.

am i saying this is the best alarm on the planet...NO, but i have had the best with clifford and a few other brands and to be honest, i had so many problems with false alarms, or the sensors being to sensitive. turn up the sensitivity and a ant can set it off. turn it down and it barely works. the bottom line is that if someone really wants into your car, they are going to get in whether you have a factory alarm or the most expensive on the planet. if a car thief is carrying around the right electronics to disable my car alarm, then there is a good chance that he/she has other items with them to get in another way.

alarms are just deterents, not total safe guards.

The short version of what the alarm includes is this:

It includes a sensing module to guard against tow-away thefts, an interior motion sensor to detect smash-and-grab break-ins, a separate alarm sounder — in addition to the vehicle horn — to thwart thieves trying to disable the horn, and a high-capacity, 60-ampere-hour battery that sounds the alarm longer.

am i saying this is the best alarm on the planet...NO, but i have had the best with clifford and a few other brands and to be honest, i had so many problems with false alarms, or the sensors being to sensitive. turn up the sensitivity and a ant can set it off. turn it down and it barely works. the bottom line is that if someone really wants into your car, they are going to get in whether you have a factory alarm or the most expensive on the planet. if a car thief is carrying around the right electronics to disable my car alarm, then there is a good chance that he/she has other items with them to get in another way.

alarms are just deterents, not total safe guards.

This is true. I guess what ever gives you "peace of mind" is what counts.

- Josh

• 1 month later...

FOR SOME SILLY REASON, SHORTLY AFTER I GOT THE '07 STANG GT, I LOOKED IN TO HAVING AN AFTERMARKET SECURITY SYSTEM INSTALLED, AND WHAT I FOUND OUT WAS THAT IN ADDITION TO THE COST OF THE SYSTEM, I WOULD HAVE HAD TO SPEND A FEW HUNDRED MORE JUST TO BRING THE AFTERMARKET SYSTEM UP TO WHAT IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON THE GT. SO AFTER DECIDING AGAINST THAT, I FOUND REVELCO, THAT IN MY AREA, SOUTHEAST DELAWARE COUNTY, PA., IS INSTALLED BY INSTALLERS OUT OF NEW JERSEY. ONE OF THE QUOTES HERE WAS THAT IF SOMEONE WANTS YOUR CAR BAD ENOUGH, THEY WILL GET IT REGARDLESS OF HOW GOOD YOUR ALARM SYSTEM IS. FORTUNATELY, NOT TRUE WITH REVELCO. THE FACTORY ALARM SYSTEM STAYS INTACT, AND REVELCO IS THE PLUS THAT KEEPS THE THIEVES FROM TAKING THE PONY. THAT IS, UNLESS THEY WANT TO LIFT IT ONTO A JERRI-DAN OR TRY TO TOW IT. BUT THEN THE INCLINATION SENSOR SHOULD SOUND OFF. IF THE REVELCO PLUG IS NOT IN ITS SOCKET, IT'S A NO GO. IT CAN'T BE BYPASSED, JUMPED OR OTHERWISE STARTED. REVELCO INVITED THE "PROS" TO TRY THEIR HAND AT DEFEATING THE REVELCO SYSTEM, BUT WITHOUT SUCCESS. IT'S QUITE A SYSTEM, AND NOT AS EXPENSIVE TO HAVE INSTALLED AS MOST OF THE BETTER KNOWN HIGHER QUALITY AFTER-MARKET ALARM SYSTEMS.

• 1 month later...

Hey the remote start is sweeet. It was the first for the dealer to see one factory installed. Push button one time horn will chirp with in 5 sec car will start and the doors will lock. When you get in it you cannot touch anything and you put the key in and tirn it to on and you R ready. Its pretty neet.

Archived