TEAM SHELBY FORUM

has anyone tested the "miles to E" yet?

fearsno1

just wondering as i am down to about 14 and going to bring a small gas can with me and try it out.

You better be driving cautiously as to not put yourself in a dangerous situation when you do finally run out. Like pulling out into traffic, driving through a long tunnel, over a bridge ect.

It will be interesting to see how it goes .

Here's my experience, use it as you see fit.

My last several Mustangs prior to the GT500, including wife's V-6, all have about two gallons in the tank when the idiot light for low fuel comes on. In other words, when I filled the tank immediately when the light came on, it would take 13.5 gallons (15.5 gallon tank capacity). I put just at 15 gallons in once after driving on the light for many miles. Yes, I was nervous even though I knew the gas mileage. I have verified this countless times. BUT, when I say 'two gallons' remaining, I am assuming you could get every last drop out of the tank and that the tank holds exactly what the owner's manual says. In other words you should not panic, but when the light comes on you should be making preps to stop.

I assumed the same would apply to the GT500, and it does. When the dash monitor reaches 0.0 miles to empty, I usually put about 14 to 14.2 gallons in to fill the tank to the first 'click' of the pump. The monitor usually says I've used less gas than I have actually used when I fill up - usually .1 to .6 gallons less. But the MPG is curiously close - maybe two percent too high.

At night with the headlights on, when the monitor says you are about ten miles from empty, the gas gauge turns entirely RED. When the countdown reaches 0.0 miles to empty, the display does not say 'empty', it says 'fuel level low' or something like that.

Bottom line: Ford knows that some of us are idiots (like me) from time to time, so they protect us from ourselves by having a built-in reserve of about two gallons. Use it wisely if you must.

I have filled up when it says 14 or 14.5 gallons used, and it always seems to take closer to 1 more gallon than it says, making it almost completely empty.

The miles to empty is not based on your current average displayed mileage, its based on a long term average that we can't see. So if you have been driving really hard lately but reset your avg mpg they won't both match up.

I haven't tried it on the Shelby. I prefer to fill up before it gets below about 1/8 of a tank. Over time, contaminants can settle in the tank, and I'd rather not suck that stuff up into the engine.

I have the DTE feature in my Dodge Ram. Once I got stuff out in the middle of nowhere with very little gas. I drove about 10 miles while the DTE read 0. Not very accurate.

i went one time about 2 miles below where the computer said i was empty. Ford always gives u a tad more gas than whats shown on the gauge.

I have always pushed my cars/trucks to find out how far i can go to being empty. Gotten close a few times about to run out of gas but never stranded

It really isnt a good idea to do this since the gas in your tank acts as a cooler for your fuel pumps.

I make it std practice that when my shelby gets to 50 miles or less i fill up immediatly

Our 07' tanks have a 15.7 gallon capacity & for 08' they show a 16.0 gallon.

I have gotten mine down as low as 9 miles to go & it took 15.2 gallons & the gallons used according to the trip computer I reset everytime said I used 15.0, I would say it does accuratelly account for your fuel useage by using the flow rate to the injectors & monitoring the A/F. Since we have a saddle style tank, I plan on only letting it get down to about 25 or 30 miles to empty before I refuel so I don't p/u debris & plug up the filter.

Our 07' tanks have a 15.7 gallon capacity & for 08' they show a 16.0 gallon.

I have gotten mine down as low as 9 miles to go & it took 15.2 gallons & the gallons used according to the trip computer I reset everytime said I used 15.0, I would say it does accuratelly account for your fuel useage by using the flow rate to the injectors & monitoring the A/F. Since we have a saddle style tank, I plan on only letting it get down to about 25 or 30 miles to empty before I refuel so I don't p/u debris & plug up the filter.

debris is another reason .. good call coldy ..... ya not a good idea to run dry with these cars considering the expense of this motor sitting up front !

IIRC the distance to empty mileage "dte" is based on a long term average mpg and as such should not really be relied upon. I go by my fuel guage and have run both my '05 F-150, lincoln LS, and all three o fmy s197's well past the "0" miles to empty - no issues yet.

well i tried it and it went to "0" but i was able to continue on for about another 10 miles and i gave up. so i guess there is alittle of a safety factor. good enough for me, just for future reference.

Here's my finding from today.

post-2868-1190251515_thumb.jpg

Not the "miles to empty". Note the car idling at 800 rpms.

I filled it to the top. 15.1 gallons (out of 15.7) and cars....like airplanes have a "capacity" and a "useful capacity". They're most certainly not the same.

bj

Here's my finding from today.

Not the "miles to empty". Note the car idling at 800 rpms.

I filled it to the top. 15.1 gallons (out of 15.7) and cars....like airplanes have a "capacity" and a "useful capacity". They're most certainly not the same.

bj

Did you get a pix of the gauge on empty?

Has anyone tried to blow their car up?

Come on someone has got to try it.

The point I'm trying to make is the right foot has a lot to do with fuel mileage & an accurate fuel computer. I religously reset my fuel meter & settings each time I fuel up & if it says I have used 13.5 gallons the pump reads 13.4 +/- .15 and just like blowing a motor, it's all in how you drive it that determines when it goes BOOM!

IIRC the distance to empty mileage "dte" is based on a long term average mpg and as such should not really be relied upon. I go by my fuel guage and have run both my '05 F-150, lincoln LS, and all three o fmy s197's well past the "0" miles to empty - no issues yet.

What year/engine/color LS fearsno1? I drive an 04 black v8 LSE and she is mah baby! Ive had that car down to 2 miles till empty and it still had over a gallon left in the tank according to the amount of gas i got from the pump. And i know im not getting 2 miles to the gallon... thats only the the gt500! :hysterical2: I dont think id wanna try taking that car down to the limit... with all the above mentioned problems that can occur... plus i dont wanna end up like an episode of seinfeld! :hysterical:

Archived