TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I need some advice from some of you "racers"

KCMO-GT500

..took a friend out today for some spirited driving, and quickly was forced to remember how bad my traction is in cooler weather (I am running the stock tires, Steeda LCAs and Stage 2 from evolution performance). Got a bit of a handle on easing through first gear, but second gear has me stumped. Going into second, from being wound up to 6k in first, it is just hard to keep it from tapping the rev limiter almost immediately.

What do you serious racers do? Do you try to slide into second at a set rpm that you have found is ok for traction? or are you trying to work from strictly throttle control and feel? On my old muscle cars I could go by throttle control and didn't have to pay much attention to rpms until the shift point, but this is a different kind of animal altogether.

and as far as going by rpms, how much attention do you give the rpms as you race? I am finding that the car has so much acceleration, that it is hard for me to spend a lot of time with looking at rpms, since I also want to make sure that my eyes are paying attention to the fast moving scenery in front.

any tips would be useful. I may not even be asking the right questions, but I am definitely interested in keeping the 1st to 2nd transition a lot more in control

thanks in advance

John

Good question. I don't know the answer, but I'm waiting for some advise in this area too. What is the best RPM # to shift at during a 1/4 mile run to avoid the probs KMCO mentioned?

hopefully we can get someone to weigh in on this. Seems to be a busy night for discussing the oddities <_<

Here's what I do.

I set my shift light at 6000rpms, max rpms. Once the light comes on I lift off the throttle and shift into second. Once in second, I gently squeeze the throttle until it's back on the floor and wait for the shift light again. If you just bang second gear and mash the throttle you're just going to spin and peg the limiter. I find with this car on street tires through 1st and 2nd gears that slower is actually faster.

All of the above takes 5 seconds or less.

I was just getting the feel for all this a couple weeks ago at the track and ran a 12.3@118 and with a more solid launch as I was walking it off the line from idle, I think I may have an 11 in this car on street tires.

Hope this helps

best thing u can get is a shift light on your A pillar. You set it say at 5800 rpms and the light is BRIGHT .... u see it and u shift immediatly .. by the time your body reacts your already past 6000 rpms and approaching the rev limiter but u will shift in time to miss it.

This allows u to concentrate on the road and not at the dash

I have cobalt gauges on my A pillar with a shift light. Rarely use the shift light for i dont beat on the car but when i do .. its real handy ... esp with 410 gears

Now the hard part, putting it into practice!!!

You got that right! I find that the hardest thing to do on this car (stock) when racing is launching it. What I do is turn the T/C (traction control) off and launch @ or around 2000 rpm. It took me a whole afternoon of playing with it to get the feel of the car, throttle, and tires. Just work on 1st gear and 1st gear only! After hundreds of launches it still comes out wrong once in a while – but always improving. I’m always doing it (a smaller version of it) on stop signs and red lights.

I’ve set my “light” and “beeper” for 5500 rpm but don’t really use it – more of a warning of reaching high rpm. I’ve usually shifted my lower gears before I reach that mark. Shift into 2nd @ or around 4000 rpm, 3rd @ or around 5000 rpm, after that I’ll rev the engine up to 6000 rpm and beyond....

Just me -- I’m still playing with it and learning at the low rpm before hitting 6500 rpm.

Don’t really care to drive this car at 7000 rpm for any extended period of time.

Practice, practice, and more practice.

--------------------------------------------------- // -----------------------------------------------------

Drag Racing 101:

"With a stock vehicle you can affect the way the car performs by launching at different rpm's. (800 rpm, 1000 rpm, 1200 rpm, 1500 rpm and so on). The main thing that varying you rpm will do, is affect your traction. Your vehicle may like a higher or lower rpm depending on the rear-end gear and tire you are running. To be consistent with a 6 speed, it will take a lot of practice. Consistent runs will require that you maintain the same shift points once you have determined where the best shift points are."

"You don't have to have the fastest car at the track to win a bracket race. It is very important for you to practice your launch and work on your reaction time. If you want to win races you need to be as consistent as your vehicle, or you might as well just sit and watch. Practicing your launch means, working hard to come off of the starting line the same way every time! All of the stuff above will mean nothing if you can't get off of the starting line consistently. This takes lots of practice."

"When launching a car with a manual transmission come to a complete stop after the car is properly staged. Press the clutch in all the way with one foot while pressing the accelerator peddle down with the other foot, raising the engine RPM to a constant moderate level for the first launch. Lift up on the clutch peddle to the point where the car is just about to start moving and hold both peddles still. When the christmas tree lights reach the last amber before the green, slowly release the clutch while quickly applying the accelerator peddle enough to launch the car quickly, but not too much to induce a large amount of wheel spin. Start conservative with the first launch and keep increasing the RPM at which the car is launched at during the subsequent runs."

"Use the factory line lock (parking brake) to keep your car from rolling out of the lights once you're staged. Unless you have an extra leg to operate the brake pedal, this is the only way to keep your car stationary while you work the clutch with one foot and the throttle with the other. That way, you can use your free hand to disengage the parking brake as you launch, and you won't redlight because your car crept forward after you staged."

I set my shift light at 6000rpms, max rpms. Once the light comes on I lift off the throttle and shift into second. Once in second, I gently squeeze the throttle until it's back on the floor and wait for the shift light again. If you just bang second gear and mash the throttle you're just going to spin and peg the limiter. I find with this car on street tires through 1st and 2nd gears that slower is actually faster.

That's not what you did in Dearborn. :fan:

I shift at 6k at the track. It is not an rpm issue IMO, but more how you work the clutch/gas. I have only used street tires at the track and have a best time of 11.92@122. You need to blend the clutch and gas together a little when shifting 1-2 and 2-3 to avoid traction issues. Do not pop the clutch and mash the gas or the car will break lose. You need to let the clutch out fast(but not popping it) and give it controled throttle increase, also very fast. Takes a bit of practice and track conditions will vary by day, so you have to adjust. I still typically blow the tires off in second at least once, in each outing, but that part of finding out what the track will hold that day.

• 1 month later...
What do you serious racers do? Do you try to slide into second at a set rpm that you have found is ok for traction? or are you trying to work from strictly throttle control and feel? On my old muscle cars I could go by throttle control and didn't have to pay much attention to rpms until the shift point, but this is a different kind of animal altogether.

John,

I found this link to be pretty helpful, this guy has been racing for a while and seems to know his stuff well -- I need to take some lessons from him. It is amazing what he can do with a stock 2006 Corvette Z06. Also, check the links in the bottom of his first post. (i.e. Improve Your Shifting, General Launch Techniques, Taking Care of Your Clutch, and Burnout Without a Line Lock)

Link: http://forums.corvette.com/showthread.php?t=1541575

Archived