TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Trip Results

TexasShelby

Well I aired the Shelby out this weekend on a 990 mile road trip up to Albuquerque for a niece's wedding.

Here's how it went.

I had a blast and the Shelby was a hit no matter where I was. I encountered someone wanting to see if they could stay up, at just about every bit of the way. I only had two instances where I actually had some fun. First was this new GTO (why does everyone in a GTO think they can beat a GT500?), for almost 10 miles this guy is jacking with me out in the open road, so at 60 we did it, at 120 going into fifth I could still see him, but he was fading fast, and at 140 in sixth, he wasn't much of a spec in the mirror. About 10 minutes later he finally got back up to me and wouldn't even look over as he passed me. I didn't mean to hurt the guys feelings, I tried not to. :-)

The other took me by complete surprise. Out of no where, and I do mean no where, really, there is nothing out there. A Nissan 240SX rolls up and gives me the thumbs up, he passes me and I notice this massive 3"+ exhaust and some massive rubber, but think nothing of it. He then slow back down and asks to take a rolling start... so I said yes, when he hit it, I thought, what the heck, I put it in 4 at about 60 instead of third and the little bastard was pulling me like crazy, I slammed into third to stop it, and again, about 120 out of forth I took it back and pulled away significantly by 140 to 145, but wow, could that car of his run....you could tell he was absolutely stunned that I pulled him that bad when we caught up to each other. About 30 miles later in town he pulled over to say hi. He never would say what power plant he had, but it was twin turbo'd with a 75 shot, and he'd never had a mustang beat him.

Before you wonder, if you've never been through central New Mexico, there is nothing there, and I mean nothing. Both times, we were litterally the only cars in sight and had great roads (which is out of character for New Mexico).

Going up, I missed a turn on a small state highway and ended up taking what we in Texas call a Farm to Market road, which is a two black top, no shoulders or courtesy lane. Just after getting on it, a sign said, this road subseptible to sink holes next 36 miles and it was rough as a cobblestone street. I almost turned around and went back but about a mile after that I came around a bend and it was all new road with nothing but straight road across an actual salt flat. For over 20 miles, I saw no one and aired it out really good. To actually cruise at 100 t0 110 is effortless, at 140, you feel you need to pay close attention, but it's still very managable. Anything over 100 with the top down and an empty water bottle will float in mid air about 5" off the front seat. I will have to get someone to take a pic of it, it's pretty wild looking, it just lifts and stays in place.

Even going through the pass at Capitan, the car still performed well at that altitude.

Upon arriving in Albuquerque the front of the car was completely covered in road kill. I took a rag with ice cold bottled water and soaked down the front. I let it stand for about 3 minutes, brushed off most the large bugs with the rag, then sprayed ICE detailer on and then gently wiped off all the bugs. They came right off, no effort at all. That's with 3 coats of ICE paste and 2 coats of the ICE liquid.

The results were:

Total miles of trip: 990

Average mph on the road 78 (including stops for gas and going through towns) with A/C on.

Average MPG: 23.5 including the 200 miles of city driving I did.

I had to run one tank of 90 octane, of which no real decrease in power was noticed.

At 3 sonic drive in's there was about 3 to 4 camera phone pics taken when I'd stop.

One NM State Trooper and one Sheriff gave me thumbs up when passing them.

This car is a blast to have on the road, I hope you all enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Well I aired the Shelby out this weekend on a 990 mile road trip up to Albuquerque for a niece's wedding.

Here's how it went.

I had a blast and the Shelby was a hit no matter where I was. I encountered someone wanting to see if they could stay up, at just about every bit of the way. I only had two instances where I actually had some fun. First was this new GTO (why does everyone in a GTO think they can beat a GT500?), for almost 10 miles this guy is jacking with me out in the open road, so at 60 we did it, at 120 going into fifth I could still see him, but he was fading fast, and at 140 in sixth, he wasn't much of a spec in the mirror. About 10 minutes later he finally got back up to me and wouldn't even look over as he passed me. I didn't mean to hurt the guys feelings, I tried not to. :-)

The other took me by complete surprise. Out of no where, and I do mean no where, really, there is nothing out there. A Nissan 240SX rolls up and gives me the thumbs up, he passes me and I notice this massive 3"+ exhaust and some massive rubber, but think nothing of it. He then slow back down and asks to take a rolling start... so I said yes, when he hit it, I thought, what the heck, I put it in 4 at about 60 instead of third and the little bastard was pulling me like crazy, I slammed into third to stop it, and again, about 120 out of forth I took it back and pulled away significantly by 140 to 145, but wow, could that car of his run....you could tell he was absolutely stunned that I pulled him that bad when we caught up to each other. About 30 miles later in town he pulled over to say hi. He never would say what power plant he had, but it was twin turbo'd with a 75 shot, and he'd never had a mustang beat him.

Before you wonder, if you've never been through central New Mexico, there is nothing there, and I mean nothing. Both times, we were litterally the only cars in sight and had great roads (which is out of character for New Mexico).

Going up, I missed a turn on a small state highway and ended up taking what we in Texas call a Farm to Market road, which is a two black top, no shoulders or courtesy lane. Just after getting on it, a sign said, this road subseptible to sink holes next 36 miles and it was rough as a cobblestone street. I almost turned around and went back but about a mile after that I came around a bend and it was all new road with nothing but straight road across an actual salt flat. For over 20 miles, I saw no one and aired it out really good. To actually cruise at 100 t0 110 is effortless, at 140, you feel you need to pay close attention, but it's still very managable. Anything over 100 with the top down and an empty water bottle will float in mid air about 5" off the front seat. I will have to get someone to take a pic of it, it's pretty wild looking, it just lifts and stays in place.

Even going through the pass at Capitan, the car still performed well at that altitude.

Upon arriving in Albuquerque the front of the car was completely covered in road kill. I took a rag with ice cold bottled water and soaked down the front. I let it stand for about 3 minutes, brushed off most the large bugs with the rag, then sprayed ICE detailer on and then gently wiped off all the bugs. They came right off, no effort at all. That's with 3 coats of ICE paste and 2 coats of the ICE liquid.

The results were:

Average mph on the road 78 (including stops for gas and going through towns) with A/C on.

I had to run one tank of 90 octane, of which no real decrease in power was noticed.

At 3 sonic drive in's there was about 3 to 4 camera phone pics taken when I'd stop.

This car is a blast to have on the road, I hope you all enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Drove my coupe to Grand Canyon about a month ago from Ft. Mohave Az. When I got there we parked it in a lot and there was a bus full of young adults from Germany getting off a tour bus. Several of them came over and asked if they could look at the Shelby and take some pics. I took some pics of them with the Shelby. Seems no matter where I drive mine, someone always compliments or ask's questions about the car. This weekend, road trip from my house to No. CA. to grandkids B-day party. Will be about a 1400 mile r.t. You are correct, they are fun to drive and comfortable.

AZbud

Here's how it went.

The results were:

I live in Santa Fe and we just got back from Denver. 24 miles to the gallon and I wasn't taking it easy!. Lots of open road between us and the Colorado line. Coming back we encountered an 04 GT mustang. It didn't look like he could go over 120. I'd slow down and he'd catch up. Drop to 4th and smoke him. Don't know if he was modded. But I got a thumbs up. I agree 140 is as fast as I feel comfortable with, but we ran between 120 and 140 for many miles! The gas mileage went to hell! Gotta love it.

I know what you are talking about with people taking pictures........I have had people trying to catch me in traffic to get pics...at gas stations......basicly everywhere I stop except my house....lol

240sx......watch out......I had a friend who was putting 590hp at the wheels in his and it was a daily driver too. But he sold it, said it was to scary. He only had one huge turbo with a fully built motor.

I love my car too.......I kinda feel like a celebrity when in it......lol

JJ

Great story Texas. How did you measure the 23 MPG? Was it "fill and calculate" or did you use the trip computer on the dash?

Dave

Both actually. it came out within about 2/10s of the computer.

It was 990 miles and I burned 42.2. The only unknown was difference in density from the hot desert to the cooler climate.

I think the computer had something like 23.2 or 3.

Sounds like a fun trip. Great story! Nice gas milage to. I had a few extended highway runs with mine and once I would translate liters per 100Km into MPG, 21.5 MPG is typically what I get when I don't drive it too. 23 MPG is very good indeed.

Archived