TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why did you pick the GT500 over the C6-Corvette?

JC8

I like all makes...as many of you know. As far as high-perf cars, I've owned 2 Fords, 4 Chevys, 2 Pontiacs, one Olds, and one Buick. Never owned a Pentastar car, but would if I found the right one.

The vette is a bit cramped for me, and I have back troubles, so the Mustang seating and ingress/egress is better for me. Also the cost of the vette is out of my budget (I would not be happy with a low-optioned car and I got my GT500 for MSRP, and in addition the insurance was higher on the vette and replacement parts would be higher I think).

If I were a multimillionaire, and the vette sat 2" higher (of course then it would look goofy), I might get one.

Dave

Apples and Spinach, that's about how close they come together.

I said this a while back when a friend was trashing the GT500 and praising his Z06.

It's all about history and marketing.

The two were never supposed to compete, ever.

In the beginning it was Mustang, and GM countered with the Camero, to grab some of the dollars.

Present day; Lack of any type creative thinking put the Camero/Firebird line in the toilet and a distant back seat to the Mustang. I hear all the rumbles of the new camero, and it will be a very nice car I'm sure, but, it'll still be how many years late? Look how long Mustang has been pumping out muscle this time around. All GM could do is add another scoop or bigger fender flare and call it something new. I'm was a GM man, always owned GM, raced 55's, had 2 early GTOs, a very early TransAm...GM lost it with me in the late 80's, and I was a very loyal GM customer. I purchased an 88 McLaren Mustang on a whim one day, not expecting to keep it 2 years and sold it 18 years later, only because my significant other said I didn't need 2 convertibles (the New Shelby came in). I still have an old 66 Chevy Fleetside that is restored and is my cruiser, but I'm very much a Ford man these days. I'd love to have an Effie with this 5.4 in it...that would make a great street ride.

GM had the Corvette and Ford didn't really have a counter, and thank our lucky stars some silly a$$ Texan made his own...Hence, the Cobra. And cleaned GM's clock at every turn. Ford, for what ever reason never thought it was enough of a market, so they didn't pursue. It's all about dollars.

GM, still frustrated from not taking over and getting their pants beat on most of the tracks started "marketing" and selling the Vette as a Mustang killer.

So fast forward to modern day...You should be putting the higher priced Ford GT against the Z06...gee, that's not much of a comparison is it? Not even on the same planet, and GM I'm sure would like to keep it that way.

So I told my Z06 buddy, I'll race him anytime, anyplace...for every dollar you pay more than me to buy it, I'll take a foot headstart and the first one to cross the finishline with his best 3 friends in the car wins... See, it's nothing but marketing...

I like all makes...as many of you know. As far as high-perf cars, I've owned 2 Fords, 4 Chevys, 2 Pontiacs, one Olds, and one Buick. Never owned a Pentastar car, but would if I found the right one.

The vette is a bit cramped for me, and I have back troubles, so the Mustang seating and ingress/egress is better for me. Also the cost of the vette is out of my budget (I would not be happy with a low-optioned car and I got my GT500 for MSRP, and in addition the insurance was higher on the vette and replacement parts would be higher I think).

If I were a multimillionaire, and the vette sat 2" higher (of course then it would look goofy), I might get one.

Dave

Me too. I like all makes. Blondes, brunettes and red heads.

HSURB

Archived