TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby down due to tranny issues 8-28

LSR

*My 1st Warranty issue*

My car had 4400+ miles on it when I started to notice tranny problems. I thought the clutch was giving me problems as well, here is why:

1) When driving the car and downshifting to come to a stop and once in neutral to come to a stop, the car would still pull forward as if it was still in gear. Even if I didn't let off the brake the car would stall as if I had the car in 1st gear and just applied the brakes.

2) The car would get stuck in 1st gear when taking off from a stop, not wanting to shift into 2nd gear.

3) Tranny would grind going into reverse.

4) Backing up my driveway, the car would not want to move as if I had the parking brake on.

Had the car towed to the dealer on 8-28. They drop the tranny and got Ford Tech on the line. Ford Tech had them conduct a few test on the tranny. Results, Ford is shipping out me a new tranny. Clutch was still in very good shape, so no need to replace the clutch.

Dealer says my tranny had no "End Play". In simple terms, my tranny was adjusted to tight and had no play even in bareing areas of the tranny. Although tranny would be in Nuetral, it still held the gear.

After this happen to my car, I did some research on this site and found that several others are experiencing the same situations. And Ford are shipping out new trannys after a few test are conducted.

Dealer says tranny should be in bt the end of the week, and I should be back on the road next week.

:happy feet:

way to go LSR .... any mods done to the car ??

More good news thanks to Orf, now I am getting a new clutch to go along with the new tranny. :happy feet:

Way to go LSR !!! The other tranny and clutch was just for dress rehersal.

Now your jet set.

Hey...you going to join us for the cruise :shift: on Oct 13 near home ??

ItalianStallion

LaMonte

glad to hear you're being treated well :happy feet: :happy feet:

I am starting to get somewhat concerned about the issue of the clutch hanging up and not fully disengaging. While this is happening to only a few right now, I wonder if this is a problem that will increase over time, and will end up being something many more of us will have to deal with. It would be nice to know the root cause of this, and whether there is a way we can fix it before it occurs.

It would be nice to know the root cause of this, and whether there is a way we can fix it before it occurs.

As I understand it, the root cause is the cerametallic dust from the clutch plates is coating the splines, causing the clutch to "hang". Maybe someone else could chime in, as I wasn't alone while I was being educated on this at AAI.

While there are a small percentage of cars showing this behavior, I don't see how it won't affect all of them sooner or later.

Disclaimer: The above statements are merely my opinion, and I'm no expert.

LSR, glad to see that your situation was taken care of in a very professionnal manner.

Orf, I share your concern. I had no problem so far with mine but I agree that normally, when a problem is due to a specific design or material used, it is bound to ultimately become a widespread issue among those cars using the same design or material.

More good news thanks to Orf, now I am getting a new clutch to go along with the new tranny. :happy feet:

I'm wondering why you would want to change a good clutch? I can see adding the lube to the transmission splines, but changing a good clutch because you can? Guess I'm missing something about this problem?

LaMonte

glad to hear you're being treated well :happy feet: :happy feet:

I am starting to get somewhat concerned about the issue of the clutch hanging up and not fully disengaging. While this is happening to only a few right now, I wonder if this is a problem that will increase over time, and will end up being something many more of us will have to deal with. It would be nice to know the root cause of this, and whether there is a way we can fix it before it occurs.

It only happens to white cars. :ninja:

I've had no issues YET, but it seems like we're seeing a few issues, so we should all be diligent on this issue.

LSR - good post...there have been enough tranny/clutch issues that we should start a sticky so folks with future issues can read up and help educate their local Ford dealers on known issues.

..I was thinking about this issue, and about making it a sticky earlier today, so yea, I sure agree with you. We want to make sure that everyone is checking for a dragging clutch periodically, and making sure that folks are not ruining their trannys because they do not know their clutch is dragging.

also, is the spline lubed from the factory? It almost seems that lube on the spline would accumulate dust in a way that would increase drag, as opposed to not having it lubed. Or is there maybe a way to access the spline and clean off the dust periodically? Other issues, and remember that I am not a mechanic, so questions may be silly:

Isn't the spline part of the tranny? So the spline not being plated is something we are stuck with unless we change out the tranny or have it rebuilt?

Other clutches. Won't they also have dust over time? So what is the fix? And why don't other cars seem to have this issue? or do they?

I'm wondering why you would want to change a good clutch? I can see adding the lube to the transmission splines, but changing a good clutch because you can? Guess I'm missing something about this problem?

From what I was told, the clutch is the cause of the tranny problems, not wanting to go into gear with grinding or not wanting to come out of gear.

The Tech at the dealer said and told Ford, when he tried to remove the clutch, it wouldn't release.

LSR - good post...there have been enough tranny/clutch issues that we should start a sticky so folks with future issues can read up and help educate their local Ford dealers on known issues.

Yeah, I agree. I was told by the service manager to get as much info. I could find of any other GT500 owners that were experiencing the same tranny&clutch issues. I was over Blaynes house when I researched this website and found 8 others right here on this website. The service manager requested this just incase, due to not many GT500's go in for service, and SVT had no other call in other than mine which I did report my incident to them for future reference.

And thanks to all sharing their kind remarks.

Way to go LSR !!! The other tranny and clutch was just for dress rehersal.

Now your jet set.

Hey...you going to join us for the cruise :shift: on Oct 13 near home ??

ItalianStallion

I should be back up and running before then, and wouldn't miss it for anything in the world.

... and SVT had no other call in other than mine which I did report my incident to them for future reference.

SVT might claim that, but I personally know of at least 4 calls they've gotten about this. If I know of 4, I would guess that there have been at least twice that many. One guy that confirmed the clutch problem in my car is with SVT, the other is at AAI. They know about it, and have had more than a few calls about it.

One guy I know has been waiting for a new clutch and tranny (second generation of both) since June. His clutch lead to the loss of the synchros.

As I understand it, the root cause is the cerametallic dust from the clutch plates is coating the splines, causing the clutch to "hang". Maybe someone else could chime in, as I wasn't alone while I was being educated on this at AAI.

While there are a small percentage of cars showing this behavior, I don't see how it won't affect all of them sooner or later.

KInda of makes me glad I got the extended 7 year warranty.

You are correct Orf . ( what I was told when I asked about this problem durring the plant tour) .>The steps they are taking for the future with regards to this problem is to nickel plate the input shaft on the tranny and the splines on the clutch in order to allow for better slide action between the two pieces.

In my opinion I believe this problem will show itself to be widespread and all encompassing. Time will tell. I hope I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...

You can count my car in. It just started about a month ago. Its just about undrivable now. It started to shift hard a little bit at a time. Now it does it all the time. 2300 miles. I believe its time for an auto. The way i see it is, it shouldn't have enough clutch dust at this point to stop the disc from sliding unless it cant handle the power. So ether i need a better clutch or an auto.

You can count my car in. It just started about a month ago. Its just about undrivable now. It started to shift hard a little bit at a time. Now it does it all the time. 2300 miles. I believe its time for an auto. The way i see it is, it shouldn't have enough clutch dust at this point to stop the disc from sliding unless it cant handle the power. So ether i need a better clutch or an auto.

Why wouldn't this problem show it's ugly head during all of the testing with the mules. Seems strange to me that with all of the cars we spotted this issue would not be known and addressed.

Why wouldn't this problem show it's ugly head during all of the testing with the mules. Seems strange to me that with all of the cars we spotted this issue would not be known and addressed.

JMO. The biggest problem with this car is 331 gear. Its just to tall of a gear for the HP. They did it for 0 to 60 times from what i hear and thats probably BS. So i need some 3.73's and a 10 inch clutch instead of an 8 inch. Problem solved. Looks like KR owners will have it solved stock. 331 gear is just retarded, but they needed as many reasons to buy a KR as they could get. Its like the gear ratio in the stock blower. They make it so if you want more then 12lbs of boost you have to buy 5k worth of supercharger. If we had away to up the boost. I'm sure we would see 600 to 650 HP with the stock Eaton.

Archived