TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strange Noises and Vibrations?

Hello, all...I just picked up my GT500 on Tuesday, and drove it 500 miles from VT to MD...no problems at all. Today I noticed that when sitting at a stoplight in neutral there's a slight rattling sound coming from the tranny (sounds like the noise is coming up thru the leather around the shifter)...if I put in the clutch, it goes away. Any ideas? This happen to anyone else?

Also, when I shift into 5th from 4th (usually coming out of 4th at around 3000RPM), the shifter vibrates quite a bit...feels very violent to the touch, and you can almost visually see the vibrations. This doesn't happen in any other gear, and it doesn't happen every time in 5th. In fact, it only happens upshifting 4th-5th, never downshifting 5th-4th. Does this happen to anyone else here?

Thanks, guys...I just crossed 1,000 miles, I don't want any trouble! :)

Drew

Hello, all...I just picked up my GT500 on Tuesday, and drove it 500 miles from VT to MD...no problems at all. Today I noticed that when sitting at a stoplight in neutral there's a slight rattling sound coming from the tranny (sounds like the noise is coming up thru the leather around the shifter)...if I put in the clutch, it goes away. Any ideas? This happen to anyone else?

Also, when I shift into 5th from 4th (usually coming out of 4th at around 3000RPM), the shifter vibrates quite a bit...feels very violent to the touch, and you can almost visually see the vibrations. This doesn't happen in any other gear, and it doesn't happen every time in 5th. In fact, it only happens upshifting 4th-5th, never downshifting 5th-4th. Does this happen to anyone else here?

Drew

The rattling in neutral is normal sound. Mine does the same thing in 5th and I have owned it for a year, was like that from day 1.

Drew

The noise is normal, it's discussed in the manual. Glad you like the car. I have not noticed any vibrations out of the ordinary, except for several months ago under hard acceleration from a stop...before I had BMR control arms on the car.

Drew

I believe the rattling sound is characteristic of the twin-disk cera-metallic clutch - I have it on mine as well.

This is an excerpt from the owner's manual supplement:

Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable

when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop.

As for the violent shifter vibrations - I don't believe I have encountered that; there is some vibration in the shifter but nothing I would consider very violent.

I believe the ratting sound is characteristic of the twin-disk cera-metallic clutch - I have it on mine as well.

This is an excerpt from the owner's manual supplement:

Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable

when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop.

As for the violent shifter vibrations - I don't believe I have encountered that; there is some vibration in the shifter but nothing I would consider very violent.

I think it's normal to feel more vibration in 5th gear through the stick, normal for my car.

Whew! I feel a lot better now. It doesn't sound too bad, and perhaps "violent" is a bit of a stretch, but if others experience the same thing, I'm fine.

Took a few friends out for a spin tonight...after punching it and throwing them back into their seats, they were speechless. I take for granted that most people have never even seen a car with 500hp, let alone ride in one. It's one sick car! :)

MadManMoon Posted Today, 09:46 PM

Whew! I feel a lot better now. It doesn't sound too bad, and perhaps "violent" is a bit of a stretch, but if others experience the same thing, I'm fine.

Took a few friends out for a spin tonight...after punching it and throwing them back into their seats, they were speechless. I take for granted that most people have never even seen a car with 500hp, let alone ride in one. It's one sick car!

Congrats on your new car!

Not ony is the noise normal, but so is that look on your friend's faces. Throw in an Evo stage II and some exhaust mods and their chins will actually hit the floor!!

Archived