TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR or

GT500-07

My wife wants the Cobra, I want the KR. She said if I go for the KR, I have to sell the 07 and get her the Cobra.

Hmmm, You know your wife better than us.I say if you can get the KR and her the Cobra and she's game, GO FOR IT. KR is going to be a long shot though, Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I like both the KR and SS. To pick one with no after market mods, I would go for the SS 725 HP. That way it is seen as not modified after the purchase and I get way more HP. For fun at half the price I would get a GT500 in the color I like, mod it and drive it.

Wish I could have both KR and SS.

I like both the KR and SS. To pick one with no after market mods, I would go for the SS 725 HP. That way it is seen as not modified after the purchase and I get way more HP. For fun at half the price I would get a GT500 in the color I like, mod it and drive it.

Wish I could have both KR and SS.

I like both as i'm sure everyone does! Do what u can afford...

I have SS deposit and KR deposit if my dealer gets one.....

I guess we will see!

Agree with you 100%. I have friends who allow their wives to call the shots. Makes me sick when I see that. Let your wife tell you how to spend her money when she makes more than you until then she can shut up and go with the program.

I found a picture of hooligan's wife. I bet he gets it alot.

post-6227-1190421010_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1190421010_thumb.jpg

Ford loyal or not, if you already have a GT500 and have the money for a 08 Z06 I say what are you waiting for. Most bad ass looking vette out there and I hear it runs pretty good too. LOL.

If I was in your shoes I would buy a leftover or near no miles 06 Heritage paint Ford GT. No other car comes close. Pulley it and the world is your biatch.....

If my goal was to have a second car that will be a collector's item down the road, I would go for the KR. If you're talking about a car that I can actually put some miles on without worrying about future value, I might have to say the Z06. I like the look of the KR much better but you have to respect the performance of the Z06.

• 4 weeks later...

Trust me, I know. The Cobra is an absolute beast, one of the wildest rides ever. It attracts a crowd everywhere you go, and women love it!

However:

You're scared to leave it anywhere even to run into a store to get a drink.

If anyone (especially a kid) walks near it you freak for fear they're going to damage your aluminum body.

It is NOT comfortable. The foot well is just big enough for the pedals and the front of the seats are slightly canted toward the doors because the engine and transmission are sitting pretty much right next to you. It's hot, loud and has no wind, sun or rain protection.

Getting in and out is something you have to be taught, then you learn REALLY fast about how hot a side pipe gets. NEVER WEAR SHORTS!

The Cobra has always been my dream car, and I've said for 40 years that I would have one when I was able to. That being said it is not a daily driver, it is a once or twice a month driver. It sounds like you want something for a little more of a driver than that.

By the way, I don't have to worry about my wife approving my vehicles. I'm not married that's why I have 9 cars. I've run out of room for right now so I've had to stop buying cars.

You already have a 07 GT500 soon to be a GT500 Super Snake.

Do you chase the KR ?

Order a Cobra CSX?

Go buy a 08 Z06?

No KR for me. Markups will be too crazy. No Z06 either. Want back seats. Love the SS, but with the $28K it will cost to upgrade, I'm 80% of the way to a new Challenger or Camaro. So for now, I'm happy with what's in the garage. Probably won't get the itch for 2 more years.

CSX4350, what motor set up did you go with in your Cobra? Trust me, I won't be parking it in a parking lot, with out some one in it. I can't park the GT500 with out some punk dumping coffee or soda on it. Talk about being pissed, even my dogs knew to stay away from me that day. The wife won't drive it, just likes to ride in a vert.

Trust me, I know. The Cobra is an absolute beast, one of the wildest rides ever. It attracts a crowd everywhere you go, and women love it!

However:

You're scared to leave it anywhere even to run into a store to get a drink.

If anyone (especially a kid) walks near it you freak for fear they're going to damage your aluminum body.

It is NOT comfortable. The foot well is just big enough for the pedals and the front of the seats are slightly canted toward the doors because the engine and transmission are sitting pretty much right next to you. It's hot, loud and has no wind, sun or rain protection.

Getting in and out is something you have to be taught, then you learn REALLY fast about how hot a side pipe gets. NEVER WEAR SHORTS!

The Cobra has always been my dream car, and I've said for 40 years that I would have one when I was able to. That being said it is not a daily driver, it is a once or twice a month driver. It sounds like you want something for a little more of a driver than that.

By the way, I don't have to worry about my wife approving my vehicles. I'm not married that's why I have 9 cars. I've run out of room for right now so I've had to stop buying cars.

I looked at a replicar (Superformance) before buying the GT500, but decided against it for all the reasons above (and a few more). I love the fact that this car is "modern" in that it has A/C, it's quiet, has advanced safety features, doesn't require a new set of points and plugs every year, no solid lifter cam adjustments, and so on. I hope to get my '69 Camaro back this winter so I can have the best of both worlds next year.

As far as your wife...I guess I see it differently. My wife works, and her income makes it EASIER for me to own a car like this. In addition, I enjoy spending time with her at car shows. Perhaps you do the same with either a girlfriend or just hangin' with the guys...so that's cool too. :rockon:

Dave

I wanted originality so I went to Mitch Hughes at S/C Motorsports. He has a reputation for knowing and building the most original drivetrains. Mine is a 427 FE, but it has aluminum heads and a full roller valve train. An original distributor has been fitted with an electronic trigger to replace the points. The engine makes right at 550 horsepower. His top loaders come from a NASCAR transmission builder in San Antonio.

If you order one I do suggest an aluminum body not fiberglass. Also I understand the wait time has increased since SAI is putting so much of their resources into cranking out Mustangs now. Expect about 14 to 15 months lead time.

CSX4350, what motor set up did you go with in your Cobra? Trust me, I won't be parking it in a parking lot, with out some one in it. I can't park the GT500 with out some punk dumping coffee or soda on it. Talk about being pissed, even my dogs knew to stay away from me that day. The wife won't drive it, just likes to ride in a vert.

I went with the fiberglass body, used the extra money for the engine/trans. Shelby aluminum block, Shelby aluminum heads with Stage III porting, building a 485 cubic inch with an originail Shelby Paxton SC. They're telling me it should dyno out around 725hp. For the tranny, we are using a 4spd top loader with a 307 rear. I making sure I'll give my brother-in-laws stock 06 Ford GT and my brothers new GT2 a run for their money.

I went with the fiberglass body, used the extra money for the engine/trans. Shelby aluminum block, Shelby aluminum heads with Stage III porting, building a 485 cubic inch with an originail Shelby Paxton SC. They're telling me it should dyno out around 725hp. For the tranny, we are using a 4spd top loader with a 307 rear. I making sure I'll give my brother-in-laws stock 06 Ford GT and my brothers new GT2 a run for their money.

I don't know what the 'glass bodied car weighs but my aluminum car weighs 2300 pounds. It is stupid with 550 horsepower. Be really careful with that much power and torque in a car that will probably weigh under 2500 pounds. You'll have some massive traction problems.

Archived