TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dissappointing OEM paintjob

Bandit012

I installed my new FRPP handling pack this weekend and had to take a detailed look under the car and in the fenderwells. What I saw there set me in a state of shock of the poor quality Ford delivered. You could not only see the primer through the paint, in the fenderwells there is only primer and no paint. Same with the trunk where the tire repair kit is. Only primer and no paint in large sections of the trunk. Is this normal?

Yes. Many of us are concerned with this condition. I think it is one of the truly legitimate complaints on the quality control from Ford. Some members have primed and painted those surfaces with a good degree of success. Very time consuming, but will certainly enhance the long term value and prevent rust and corrosion. I am going to take mine to a local paint shop and have it professionally done when it gets back from the 40th anniversary conversion.

I installed my new FRPP handling pack this weekend and had to take a detailed look under the car and in the fenderwells. What I saw there set me in a state of shock of the poor quality Ford delivered. You could not only see the primer through the paint, in the fenderwells there is only primer and no paint. Same with the trunk where the tire repair kit is. Only primer and no paint in large sections of the trunk. Is this normal?

Hi Bandit. To tell you the truth I'm afraid to look. Having said that I am interested in installing the FRPP handling pack myself. If you could help me out here a little. Did you install the entire set, ie. springs, shocks, sway bars etc? Have you noticed if the rear end was displaced to one side, if so how much? Have you played with the adjustments on the shocks and what it the ride quality compared to stock? Lastly is there a noticeable difference in the way the car handles?

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,

Rob

Yes it's normal, and it doesn't worry me.

Try this....go to a high quality furniture store. Find the highest quality piece of furniture you can find. pull out a dresser drawer. Look inside the carcass...is the item stained/finished on the inside? same with bottoms of drawers and so on. I think you'll find the answer is NO. They only focus on the highly visible areas.

It's ok with me that my spare tire well is not painted...and I don't consider this a quality issue.

Yes it's normal, and it doesn't worry me.

Try this....go to a high quality furniture store. Find the highest quality piece of furniture you can find. pull out a dresser drawer. Look inside the carcass...is the item stained/finished on the inside? same with bottoms of drawers and so on. I think you'll find the answer is NO. They only focus on the highly visible areas.

It's ok with me that my spare tire well is not painted...and I don't consider this a quality issue.

Yea, but you don't leave your furniture out in the rain. Rust is the big issue. And for the money we paid it isn't right that my seven year old Toyota still has twice the paint job this car has.

Hi Bandit. To tell you the truth I'm afraid to look. Having said that I am interested in installing the FRPP handling pack myself. If you could help me out here a little. Did you install the entire set, ie. springs, shocks, sway bars etc? Have you noticed if the rear end was displaced to one side, if so how much? Have you played with the adjustments on the shocks and what it the ride quality compared to stock? Lastly is there a noticeable difference in the way the car handles?

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

the handling pack is just installed, it is the complete package as you can order it at your FRPP dealer. Car is waiting for the first drive, settings are the recommended standard settings at the moment.

Ralf

Whats disturibing me is, that even a 10.000$ car from Romania has a better paint job than a Super Sports Car like the Shelby. Finding obvious quality problems like that makes me uneasy in thinking about the general quality of our loved cars, because it states a habit regarding quality, who knows what is hidden?

And by the way, I do not have this issue on the 2005 Mustang GT of my wife, so maybe it is really a weight saving issue.

Yea, but you don't leave your furniture out in the rain. Rust is the big issue. And for the money we paid it isn't right that my seven year old Toyota still has twice the paint job this car has.

that's because they have to cover up the shitty sheet metal they use, and that is no lie! my father in law bought a 70k lexus 470 suv and started to rust after owning for two months, and i'm talking about a lot of rust, and vowed to never own another toyota product. CHEAP METAL!

But furniture is exposed to humidity and UV rays, which attack wood just like rain attacks a car. Wood growth (yes, wood moves with changes in humidity) is unequal when you finish one side and not the other. I do see this as a very similar comparison.

Don't get me wrong...I agree the paint job is not the best...I have found two flaws in mine. Each time I meet a member I ask them to show me flaws. I've seen many on these cars. All I'm saying is that his car was not a fluke...many of the cars are like this.

That is actually quite normal for factory paints.... used to be when painted at different locations you might get exterior color under the car from one factory and only primer from another. When get into restorations you find that alot.

Just think of how difficult it is going to be for those restoring a car 30 years from now - replicating the poor factory quality. Just something to think about.

HSURB

Just think of how difficult it is going to be for those restoring a car 30 years from now - replicating the poor factory quality. Just something to think about.

HSURB

I think the end results of the GT500 paint job look about the same as Mustang factory paint jobs of 36 years ago, pretty good. It is what it is and will last a long time if you take care of it. Mine looks really good and does have some imperfections that make it different from others, I wouldn't change a thing. The dealership where I bought it offered to have every defect repaired when I bought it and I decided to leave it alone.

If you haven't seen this 1986 movie "Gung Ho" you need to...

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=482952

The paint on the outside of mine is fine. I agree that Ford could have done a better job on the inside and underside.

I noticed after getting some chips in my hood how thin the layer of paint is.

I would say it seems thinner than what was on my 99.

I am not impressed with the quality as far as a new car goes costing this much.

My rear bumper does not line up well at all with the rest of the car, there are blemishes in the paint on both front and rear bumper, my passenger door/front fender gap is wider than the gap on the driver side.

I have never analyzed a car this much though so this all may be normal, I just really, really looked this thing over since it costs an arm and leg to buy.

Archived