TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lug Nut Size

cloud9

OK, this is a dumb one, but can anyone verify the lug nut size on our GT500? I found the bolt size and torque is 100 ft. lbs. in the manual, but I can't verify the lug nut size anywhere. Even the dealer couldn't tell me for sure. 13/16" fits but is slightly loose. I just want to make sure it's not supposed to be metric before I hit them with the torque wrench and round them off. 19mm is too small and 21mm is sloppy. Unfortunately I don't have a 20mm but I am wondering if that's not the one I need.

Thanks for your help.

:doh:

haha its funny how it always ends up being the size wrench that was randomly lost, or is being borrowed by a friend... i hate when that happens :banghead:

I cranked on em with the 13/16" and got it to click in so I'm going with that. Didn't want to run all the way down to my warehouse to find a 20mm. :confused:

What's a flank drive socket?

It's a shape of a socket or wrench whereby the force from the wrench to the nut/bolt is exerted on the "flank" of the item (which is the flat portion) rather than the point. Below is a low quality pic of how it works. I have Snap-On wrenches with this feature...I'm not sure who else makes it. The other pic shows how the edges of the wrench where the "corner" of the nut would normally fit are rounded...the corner of the nut never touches the wrench...thus no rounding off.

flank1.jpg

flank2.jpg

Dave

It's a shape of a socket or wrench whereby the force from the wrench to the nut/bolt is exerted on the "flank" of the item (which is the flat portion) rather than the point. Below is a low quality pic of how it works. I have Snap-On wrenches with this feature...I'm not sure who else makes it. The other pic shows how the edges of the wrench where the "corner" of the nut would normally fit are rounded...the corner of the nut never touches the wrench...thus no rounding off.

Dave knows nuts!

(and sockets)

(and goats :hysterical2: )

Archived