TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Trip To SAI

post-8276-1188528613_thumb.jpgLast week I got the call to have my car to SAI on or before September 10th for the 40th conversion so that it would be ready for October 24th party. Big problem as I had planned on transporting it myself September 24th which at one point seemed to work. NO dice. It needed to be there on or before the 10th.

For many personal reasons, I wanted to personally haul my car but the most important was that I wanted a picture of the rare and beautiful Performance White with Tungsten Stripes in front of the SAI building to document the conversion before the stripes are ripped off and replaced witht the Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripe (SSSSS). Having a professional transportation company deliver the car would negate this once in a lifetime opportunity. There was only one small window of opportunity from Saturday to Tuesday that I could squeese in the trip. So at 5:16 a.m. on Aug 25th until 11:34 p.m. it was time to become the road warrior.

It was actually a great tirp. I took Hwy 93 (the senic route) from Phoenix to LV versus the interstates. The desert was absolutely gorgeous. It was the first time I have ever seen it green this time of the year. The weather was beautiful until the last 10 miles then rain. By the time I got to SAI the Cobra was basically a mud ball.

Once at Shelby JW met me, had my car washed, and then it went to the shop for the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). The techs inspect every inch of the car for flaws and document everything before they accept the car. I mean everything. I have a very small curb rash on the front passenger wheel. Noted. I also have a scuffed front splitter. Noted even though it is coming off. All modifications are listed on the Pre Assembly Operations Inspection Notes so that you will get your original parts back if they need to come off. This was the first car delivered with their new operational procedures so there were 10 to 12 techs going through the inspection with the lead guy. All in all very professional and worth witnessing.

post-8276-1188528627_thumb.jpg

post-8276-1188528640_thumb.jpg

post-8276-1188528651_thumb.jpg

post-8276-1188528613_thumb.jpg

post-8276-1188528627_thumb.jpg

post-8276-1188528640_thumb.jpg

post-8276-1188528651_thumb.jpg

Shipping mine out tomorrow morning, I can't wait...

Mine goes out today, Cobrafan...How did it pull with that truck?...I had basically the same truck,

2006 F-150 1/2 ton...My enclosed trailer weighs 3900 lbs....I traded in the F-150 for a 2008 F-250 Super Duty Diesel...Was not comfortable pulling 8000 lbs with a 1/2 ton pick-up...LMK & Thanks

post-8276-1188528613_thumb.jpgLast week I got the call to have my car to SAI on or before September 10th for the 40th conversion so that it would be ready for October 24th party. Big problem as I had planned on transporting it myself September 24th which at one point seemed to work. NO dice. It needed to be there on or before the 10th.

For many personal reasons, I wanted to personally haul my car but the most important was that I wanted a picture of the rare and beautiful Performance White with Tungsten Stripes in front of the SAI building to document the conversion before the stripes are ripped off and replaced witht the Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripe (SSSSS). Having a professional transportation company deliver the car would negate this once in a lifetime opportunity. There was only one small window of opportunity from Saturday to Tuesday that I could squeese in the trip. So at 5:16 a.m. on Aug 25th until 11:34 p.m. it was time to become the road warrior.

It was actually a great tirp. I took Hwy 93 (the senic route) from Phoenix to LV versus the interstates. The desert was absolutely gorgeous. It was the first time I have ever seen it green this time of the year. The weather was beautiful until the last 10 miles then rain. By the time I got to SAI the Cobra was basically a mud ball.

Once at Shelby JW met me, had my car washed, and then it went to the shop for the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). The techs inspect every inch of the car for flaws and document everything before they accept the car. I mean everything. I have a very small curb rash on the front passenger wheel. Noted. I also have a scuffed front splitter. Noted even though it is coming off. All modifications are listed on the Pre Assembly Operations Inspection Notes so that you will get your original parts back if they need to come off. This was the first car delivered with their new operational procedures so there were 10 to 12 techs going through the inspection with the lead guy. All in all very professional and worth witnessing.

My Shelby should be arriving in Las Vegas TODAY!!

Thanks! Getting SS not sure if Vegas or Tacsa. Also not sure if I will trailer it there myself or get it shipped. And since we are both for LI I appreciate the info.

Just found out that CSI is closing at 2:00 pm today and will not reopen until Tuesday.

So my car will be sitting in the truck till Tuesday.

Out of my hands!

What part of LI?

Mine goes out today, Cobrafan...How did it pull with that truck?...I had basically the same truck,

2006 F-150 1/2 ton...My enclosed trailer weighs 3900 lbs....I traded in the F-150 for a 2008 F-250 Super Duty Diesel...Was not comfortable pulling 8000 lbs with a 1/2 ton pick-up...LMK & Thanks

07-SHLB, the rig pulled fine. The rental trailer had surge breaks which are not great for the mountains, but adequate. With electrtic breaks it would be fine. I agree that with the additional weight with your enclosed trailer you will need a bigger truck. The F-250 Super Duty Diesel will be my next truck for the reasons that you state.

Great story. I noticed the Uhaul hauler...can you tell me how much to rent? I may do this next year for any show that's far away.

Dave

Great story. I noticed the Uhaul hauler...can you tell me how much to rent? I may do this next year for any show that's far away.

Dave

It was $180 for a one way with drop in LV. The contract was for 7 days. I rented one to go to the MCA show in Mustang, OK earlier in the year and I think it was $40 a day.

Cobrafan and JDALLEN

Day 1: No Shelby what am I to do? Had to wash the C5 (No Chevy jokes please) What will tomorrow bring? Mine will be gone longer for performance mods. Maybe they could set up a webcam so I could talk to my "baby"!!! Well I guess it is time to clean out the shop, while its empty (tears rolling down my face)....See ya in October!!!!

Cajun Shelby

Aka: Go fast turn left

Hey Cobrafan, When you get your baby back, are you going to pick her up? I would love to see her. I presume you gotta come thru H-town. Let me know.

msmap. I-10 all the way from Phoenix to Beaumont. Spring is up the road. I am getting the performance mods with the 725 hp, 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, it is going to be awesome. I will be participating in some of the events in Houston when I get her back so you should be able to get up close and personal.

Cobrafan and JDALLEN

Day 1: No Shelby what am I to do? Had to wash the C5 (No Chevy jokes please) What will tomorrow bring? Mine will be gone longer for performance mods. Maybe they could set up a webcam so I could talk to my "baby"!!! Well I guess it is time to clean out the shop, while its empty (tears rolling down my face)....See ya in October!!!!

Cajun Shelby

Aka: Go fast turn left

Cajun,

I feel your pain. I tried to get JW at SAI to give some reasonable timetable for pick-up because I am getting performance mods as well. As back logged as these guys are, I honestly expect pick-up sometime in December. I'll be pleasantly shocked if they get me turned around in less than 90 days which will be shortly after Thanksgiving. They are just so far behind the curve that it will take them time to catch up.

msmap. I-10 all the way from Phoenix to Beaumont. Spring is up the road. I am getting the performance mods with the 725 hp, 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, it is going to be awesome. I will be participating in some of the events in Houston when I get her back so you should be able to get up close and personal.

:) So you went with the voided warranty package, huh? Awesome :superhero:

• 4 weeks later...

I took US 93 from Phoenix to Vegas too on my West Coast Road Trip, and after making a quick stop at the Grand Canyon for the first time, it started to get dark, so I didn't see much off the road on US93 but I remember it to be super bumpy... it was so bad that the flat tire warning light came on my Nissan Maxima rental car.... I didn't really wanna pull over in the middle of nowhere around midnight, but after a quick inspection it turned out ot be fine... I drove carefully to Hacienda hotel on the other side of the Hoover Dam and continued my drive to Shelby first thing in the morning... I15 is a really neat and straight piece of road from the strip to the Las Vegas Speedway.

Will be making that trek again the last few days of SEMA in November.

--Russ

Archived