TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Email I recieved trying to get a quote

spider

I sent out a couple of email trying to get some quotes on ordering a 2008 Gt-500, I asked if they could do better than my $5000.00 over sticker qoute I already had. If they could bring something to the table then please reply. Here is the reply I recieved back from Southway Ford in San Antonio TX........ I left the dealership but removed the salesman name............

I, like all the other dealerships you have heard from, will order a unit the way you want but we are in at $15,000.00 over sticker with a $5,000.00 deposit.

If I can answer any other questions for you please feel free to e mail me,

FYI, I would run back to the place that made the offer and give them the $5,000.00 deposit. You might want to get a written agreement from them also that they will sell you the car when it arrives as they might reserve the right to sell it to a higher bidder before it arrives.

Question is, how bad do you want a car like this?

Do you know that I have other dealerships across the country that we turn down at $10,000.00 over sticker even at $12,500.00 over sticker, what makes you believe that you are that special that you can get a car that is a collectors piece before it arrives at the price you want to pay?

Nothing personal please just trying to find out how bad you would like to have a GT 500? Check E bay motors and see what a used one is bring right now, more that you are offering.

I have a Shelby GT Mustang that you can have at $5,000.00 over package price but not a Shelby GT 500.

Here is wishing you success in your quest and really do hope your dream will happen for you if you really want a GT 500.

Lot's of luck and if you do get to order it the way you want at the price you are offering make sure to keep the person that helps you on your quest on your families Christmas list for life. Oh and send us pictures.

Salesman name with helded

Southway Ford

Internet Sales

This is why it is a total waste of time sending emails trying to find one of these at a price you want to pay. Your odds in finding one are drastically increased against you.

Dealers get HUNDREDS of email inquiries on this car. Many are not even taken serious because most buyers that are serious will either call at the very least or better yet, just walk into the dealership and try and make a deal.

Sending emails is putting you in contact with the WRONG PEOPLE!

If you want to give yourself the best shot at finding one at a decent price then call the dealership and ask to talk to the NEW FORD CAR SALES MANAGER!

Specify FORD because many dealerships have multiple franchises. That way you get the right manager.

The only two people above the sales manager is the general manager or the owner. So you cut through all the BS and get the right person that can make a decision.

Now in many cases this won't work because the managers will just turn you over to a sales person. But on a hot high ticket item like this car you will find more sales managers willing to deal with you directly.

I agree with Dude.

I have 4 offers for $5k over for a "build it my way" 2008 GT500. I'm glad prices are going down. I'm optimistic that I'll get the deal that is right for me soon.

Mr. Southway Ford is a d :censored: ck. I've run into many dealerships who treated me the same way. I feel sorry for those who actually bought into their hype and bravado. If they have that kind of attitude and poor respect for the customer, BEFORE the sale, imagine what you'll get when you have to go back for service or warranty work?? :redcard: Yikes!

He should have just said that he wouldn't/couldn't sell you a car at the price you wanted and left it at that.

What an a-hole!

I had to email the Sales Director and inform him to see this Topic and the quote from his Internet Dept. I manage a dealership and I would want to know if our Internet Dept. had sent a response like this!!!!!

I also advised him that I too had a deal for 5k over. CRAZY HUH!!!!! :headscratch:

This is evidence that dealers should be very focused and monitor all dealer comminication coming from their Internet Department. In many cases, this is the face (or first impression) of the dealership. While an individual may be IT savy, they can be very lacking in customer service skills - as is the case with this response.

I'll bet when the Sale Manager catches wind of his response, there will be a little attitude adjustment - or even a personnel change in ole' San Antonio.

HSURB

I had to email the Sales Director and inform him to see this Topic and the quote from his Internet Dept. I manage a dealership and I would want to know if our Internet Dept. had sent a response like this!!!!!

I also advised him that I too had a deal for 5k over. CRAZY HUH!!!!! :headscratch:

Sounds like someone is going to get spanked! :finger:

Really unfortunate response ... A few weeks ago, we had a posting on this site for a legitimate $6k over build it your way oppty in the Dallas area. I was going to pursue that one (finally gave up on MSRP), but was able to get a local SoCal dealership to match the TX deal. I asked for the Sales MGR, showed him the post, reminded him I bought my wife's Explorer at his dealership and said if you work with me you'll keep my business, otherwise the dealer in Dallas will be getting a $5k deposit from me. He asked for 24 hours to chat with his GM. The next morning he called back and said bring your deposit to us and we'll make it happen. I saved the drop ship fee and my local dealer service relationship. I got my VIN yesterday and expect to see the car in late SEP/early OCT.

It's too bad there are so many flakes to navigate around getting this car. Good luck with your pursuit. The guys on this site are generally helpful and I'd encourage you to consider a similar strategy in your neck of the woods if you are willing to pay a reasonable ADM ...

Wally Kuhns

I can beat all of your dealer correspondence - check this one out I got in June 2007 after making an inquiry for a $45,060 GT 500:

Michael;

Our price tag on the window, after our mark up, is $129,995.00, that's just to get your heart pumping. Of course we will come off of that price. How much are you willing to pay? We'll make you a deal, call me.

thanks Michael

Best Regards,

Mark Frank

Future Ford Roseville Automall

Internet Sales Manager

Or how about this one:

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:55 AM

To: Michael

Subject: RE: White GT 500

Hi Michael,

If Shelby GT 500’s could be sold for window every Ford Employee on the planet

would have tried to buy one first.. Since there were only about 7000 made and no more production for

2007 Your chances of buying a very sought after limited production collectors super car for window

Is a nonsensical waste of time.

The rumors are, taht in about a month they will command over $100,000

How about a regular Mustang GT???

and here is his follow UP...

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 2:06 PM

To: Michael

Subject: RE: White GT 500

You seem to know to much.

So I will increase the asking price to $98,000

I have dealers willing to pay $15,000 over.

I think this whole thing seems odd

This is why it is a total waste of time sending emails trying to find one of these at a price you want to pay. Your odds in finding one are drastically increased against you.

Dealers get HUNDREDS of email inquiries on this car. Many are not even taken serious because most buyers that are serious will either call at the very least or better yet, just walk into the dealership and try and make a deal.

If you want to give yourself the best shot at finding one at a decent price then call the dealership and ask to talk to the NEW FORD CAR SALES MANAGER!

Specify FORD because many dealerships have multiple franchises. That way you get the right manager.

The only two people above the sales manager is the general manager or the owner. So you cut through all the BS and get the right person that can make a decision.

Now in many cases this won't work because the managers will just turn you over to a sales person. But on a hot high ticket item like this car you will find more sales managers willing to deal with you directly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say sending emails puts you in touch with the wrong people, but trying to make a deal via email is definitely the wrong tactic. It's great if you're trying to buy an F150 or a Focus, etc, but if you want a "deal" on a Shelby, you really need to put in the effort to contact each dealer either in person, or at least by phone.

Salesmen are people too and when you're trying to negotiate a deal it helps if you approach in a friendly manner and even spend some time shooting the sh*t before getting down to actually talking price. When I was selling, it was an immediate turn-off for me when I'd get a caller that was immediately demanding and condecending - I did not feel at all motivated to strike a deal with people like that. But for customers that were friendly and sociable I was far more willing to push management to make a deal. Even if I couldn't make the deal happen, the customer and I at least gave it a good shot and parted on friendly terms. Sometimes I would even help them find another dealer that may be more willing to deal.

There're just as many, if not more, jackass customers as there are jackass salesmen.

Well said,

I also tried to show the Managers and Salesman respect even though

I jokingly made fun of the markups on these cars.

I was asked several times at differant dealers, "HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT"

and my reply would be "Aparently more than you want to sell it."

But I allways tried to leave the dealership in good terms with the

feeling that we might make a deal later on.

Well said,

I also tried to show the Managers and Salesman respect even though

I jokingly made fun of the markups on these cars.

I was asked several times at differant dealers, "HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT"

and my reply would be "Aparently more than you want to sell it."

But I allways tried to leave the dealership in good terms with the

feeling that we might make a deal later on.

Thanks. I worked at Lone Star Ford and we sold a butt-ton of Ford GT's (around 60 as I recall) and as a result I had the opportunity to deal with a different (higher) class of customer. Obviously if you can afford a Ford GT you're generally well educated, well spoken and have some business accumen (most of the time). This experience came in handy when dealing with Shelby customers as they were generally of the same class. For a salesperson to tell a prospective Shelby customer "how bad do you want it" is an obvious sign that he/she doesn't fully understand what they're selling and doesn't really have the tools or experience to deal effectively with that type of customer. Actually, I can't think of a situation where I would've even considered using a phrase like that directed at the customer no matter what vehicle we were talking about.

Wow, those are some rediculous replies!

Speaking of dealerships in San Antonio, can anyone recommend a good one? I live next to Jordan Ford, but the sales people I've talked to over there seem completely clueless, and their tendency to slap every part in the Roush or FRPP catalog on V6 Mustangs and try to tell me they're "special editions" kinda turns me off.

I have to disagree with ShelbyDude on the email thing. Email, over 400 of them to every dealer in Texas, NM, OK, CO and half of AR is exatly how I got my 5K deal in March of 06. Small town dealer, dealer principle answered me directly and we struck the deal. Yes I got a lot of poor replies that Ford management really should have a look at but in the end found 3 dealers willing and able at a price that was very fair at the time.

The point is, email is just as effective as phone calls at weeding out poor dealers from ernest ones. And much more efficient as you can contact many per day. Good dealers will give an ernest and prompt answer. Even if the price is not what you want at least it was a professional response. Phone calls take far longer to sift through the chaff.

Lets face it, no one here is wrong! Any approach, 400 emails, or 400 phone calls, it really ALL depends on the dealer, the mood, the need, the numbers and most important the greed! I did some emailing and had no luck, most were canned responses or a-hole responses. I then called dozens of dozens of dealers, had several verbal deals, and FINALLY called a small time dealer, in the country, who after spending some time with, gave me my deal at MSRP. I should be picking my car up in the next week or so.

Bottom line, this really is a crap shoot at best. There is no better method, or best way! It comes down to luck, the perfect storm if you will, and when you are in it or close, you will know it.

Good luck to all, and just keep pressing along. One thing we can all agree on, you can walk in and buy a GT500 anywhere from anyone who has one, all day. However, if you want a deal on one, that takes work, and the more work you put in, the more luck you will have at getting your deal and one you can sleep on!

A LOT of this has to do with timing.

The day before Ruf found me my car (at MSRP) a dealer in MN had just got in their last 07 GT500 (red vert) and were selling it on eBay with a BIN at sticker. It was placed the night before (when I saw it), so I called them first thing in the morning. I was 5 minutes too late (and I even called them before they officially opened). I asked why they were selling it at MSRP and the sales mgr, who I had spoke with months before and who had sold their 2 other cars for $12k and $15k over, said, "we didn't expect this one. We're trying to sell as many cars before the end of the month and if we can sell this one quick, that's one less we'll have on the books."

It's all timing.

My car was on the lot for a few weeks at $15k over. Why did they sell it to me at sticker? The dealers Ford rep suggested they sell it soon to make way for the 08's. Owner didn't want to keep it on the lot and was going to give it to another dealer for MSRP. No ADM mark-up. Luckily my sales manager said, "hold on, I have a list of guys who are looking for cars. If I can sell it to one of them at MSRP it will be better than letting another dealer make the sale." So he did. Luckily, Ruf checked his messages, PM'd me, I called the manager, and took the car.

It's all timing.

A LOT of this has to do with timing.

The day before Ruf found me my car (at MSRP) a dealer in MN had just got in their last 07 GT500 (red vert) and were selling it on eBay with a BIN at sticker. It was placed the night before (when I saw it), so I called them first thing in the morning. I was 5 minutes too late (and I even called them before they officially opened). I asked why they were selling it at MSRP and the sales mgr, who I had spoke with months before and who had sold their 2 other cars for $12k and $15k over, said, "we didn't expect this one. We're trying to sell as many cars before the end of the month and if we can sell this one quick, that's one less we'll have on the books."

It's all timing.

My car was on the lot for a few weeks at $15k over. Why did they sell it to me at sticker? The dealers Ford rep suggested they sell it soon to make way for the 08's. Owner didn't want to keep it on the lot and was going to give it to another dealer for MSRP. No ADM mark-up. Luckily my sales manager said, "hold on, I have a list of guys who are looking for cars. If I can sell it to one of them at MSRP it will be better than letting another dealer make the sale." So he did. Luckily, Ruf checked his messages, PM'd me, I called the manager, and took the car.

It's all timing.

Joe, on top of all I said above, I agree 100%. Timing is everything, either the call, the email, the sales person, the predicament, the day, the month, and so on! Everything is about timing. Right place, right time. And I am glad you like me fell into a great deal!

You guys have well described what I call the adventure in the persuit

of purchasing this car. I believe you have to keep a good attitude in dealing

with Managers and Salesman regadless of what is promised or said.

I had a Factory order deal on a verbal contract and handshake

in April and they auctioned the car out from under me.

I have visited and talked to the majority of the So. Cal. dealers

over the last year and the one written sighned contract deal I have now

was on a call back to me in June that suprised me. I was told to bring my

5 grand deposit down before the end of that day if I was a serious buyer.

And I still not calling it a done deal until the car is in my driveway.

Joe, on top of all I said above, I agree 100%. Timing is everything, either the call, the email, the sales person, the predicament, the day, the month, and so on! Everything is about timing. Right place, right time. And I am glad you like me fell into a great deal!

You said it Dan.

Could have just as easily been someone else instead of me.

Many here haven't found their deal yet. I hope we all do!

Notice, again, that it's the small dealers who seem to be getting to MSRP first. At VERY small dealers the owner, general manager and sales manager are the same person.

If you live in a large metro area, it might be impossible to get MSRP locally but, again, the small dealers I'd spoken too were all (except one pre-planned trans-ship at 10K) selling betw $2 and 5K over -- but you had to be on their 'list' very early ...especially if they only got one car! ;-)

The insight on [Ford?] wanting [dealer] to clear the car off the lot [by the end of August] is interesting. I wonder if that's general Ford pressure to make room for the new cars or if Ford is specifically pushing/encouraging dealers to clear the '07 GT500s before they can get any '08s allocated?

At end-of-model-year there may additional dynamics at play? Anyone have more insight on this?

Archived