TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Production Numbers- Ford/Shelby Come to an Agreement

gabed1

If this is a re-run, just ignore it.

Here's the poop on the VINs. Cars are serialized when they're ordered, not when they're built. In fact, many cars are serialized, then canceled and the VIN isn't reused.

Let's take Blayne and my cars for example. Built same day, his right behind mine by exactly one car, both in coupes and red coupes. But, there's 3,000+ difference in our VINs. My VIN was issued early on in the process. I have it written down somewhere, but it wasn't long after ordering the car. Blayne's car was serialized after mine. So, between the time mine was serialized and his was, there were 3,000+ cars that were given VINs. We have no idea how many produced cars that represented. So, let's say that it's in the first month of ordering (March) for MY2007 and the order bank just opened. Tons of cars being ordered. Lots of them GT500s and other 'Stangs. Most dealerships order multiple cars at a whack. It wouldn't take but one cancellation of a car from each of the nation's dealers to account for that 3,000+ VIN discrepancy between our cars. In fact, Blaynes VIN could actually be the EXACT "next" car in VIN sequence if all of those were canceled. Again, they don't re-use VINs.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and re Three Cobra's later serialization yet earlier build....yes, it was Ford keeping their commitment to a Powerlease consumer. They didn't all happen that way, so you were lucky.

bj

I'm curious, but where did this info come from?

Vins are not just generated when a car is ordered. Ford doesn't issue a vin until after they pull the order and schedule the vehicle to be build. Also, once Ford issues a vin on a vehicle, the dealer can NOT cancel the order. They are stuck with it no matter what. Ask me how I know this?

The only time a dealer can cancel an order is if they cancel it before the vehicle order is pulled, scheduled and issued a vin. Once that happens, it can not be cancelled.

Why or how these are getting built so close together with vins that are so far spread apart, I do not know for certain. I can only assume it would have to do with something pertaining to the particular vehicle that there was some sort of hold up that delayed it from being built and rather then just stop the entire line the vehicle is pulled to the side and then completed later which would explain the reason for the big gap in vins.

I would say the lower vins SHOULD have been built much sooner but for whatever reason the car was delayed from going down the line and being completed and then got completed at a later date after 3,000 or so other cars were built during that time.

The only other possible thing that MIGHT cause for a dealer's order to get cancelled after it was issued a vin would be where that dealer had closed and went out of business. In those cases then Ford MIGHT be cancelling orders since the dealer is no longer in business. But that would mean a dealer would have had to of had thousands of cars just from that plant on order in that short of a time frame (not gonna happen) or there would have to be numerous dealers that went out of business and closed down over the past week or so where between them they all had 3000 cars on order to be built in that 1 - 3 week period. Again, doubtful. There were a LOT of dealers that did close down over the past 1 1/2 years, but I still don't see where there could have been enough of them where they all closed within the same short time frame and where they could of had that many mustangs on order coming from just that plant.

Now I'm not even sure if Ford would cancel those orders even when a dealer closes down. As far as vehicles the dealer has in stock, Ford will find dealers in need of inventory that will take those vehicles. So whether that is the same case on ordered units still being built for dealers that closed, I do not know. They may still give those units to dealers looking for more inventory. Maybe they will cancel them in those certain cases. But a dealer that is in business can not cancel orders after they have been issued a full vin number. They are stuck with the car, period. This is also the reason dealers will charge a non-refundable deposit on vehicles a customer special orders. Because if the customer backs out for any reason the dealer is stuck with the vehicle that could be harder to sell because of the way it was ordered by a customer. So any cancelled orders MUST be cancelled BEFORE a vin is issued.

This is also why the dealer can't make any changes to the order after it is scheduled and a full vin is issued. Ford isn't just going to cancel it and issue a new vin because someone decided they wanted to change the order in some way.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious, but where did this info come from?

Vins are not just generated when a car is ordered. Ford doesn't issue a vin until after they pull the order and schedule the vehicle to be build. Also, once Ford issues a vin on a vehicle, the dealer can NOT cancel the order. They are stuck with it no matter what. Ask me how I know this?

The only time a dealer can cancel an order is if they cancel it before the vehicle order is pulled, scheduled and issued a vin. Once that happens, it can not be cancelled.

Why or how these are getting built so close together with vins that are so far spread apart, I do not know for certain. I can only assume it would have to do with something pertaining to the particular vehicle that there was some sort of hold up that delayed it from being built and rather then just stop the entire line the vehicle is pulled to the side and then completed later which would explain the reason for the big gap in vins.

I would say the lower vins SHOULD have been built much sooner but for whatever reason the car was delayed from going down the line and being completed and then got completed at a later date after 3,000 or so other cars were built during that time.

The only other possible thing that MIGHT cause for a dealer's order to get cancelled after it was issued a vin would be where that dealer had closed and went out of business. In those cases then Ford MIGHT be cancelling orders since the dealer is no longer in business. But that would mean a dealer would have had to of had thousands of cars just from that plant on order in that short of a time frame (not gonna happen) or there would have to be numerous dealers that went out of business and closed down over the past week or so where between them they all had 3000 cars on order to be built in that 1 - 3 week period. Again, doubtful. There were a LOT of dealers that did close down over the past 1 1/2 years, but I still don't see where there could have been enough of them where they all closed within the same short time frame and where they could of had that many mustangs on order coming from just that plant.

Now I'm not even sure if Ford would cancel those orders even when a dealer closes down. As far as vehicles the dealer has in stock, Ford will find dealers in need of inventory that will take those vehicles. So whether that is the same case on ordered units still being built for dealers that closed, I do not know. They may still give those units to dealers looking for more inventory. Maybe they will cancel them in those certain cases. But a dealer that is in business can not cancel orders after they have been issued a full vin number. They are stuck with the car, period. This is also the reason dealers will charge a non-refundable deposit on vehicles a customer special orders. Because if the customer backs out for any reason the dealer is stuck with the vehicle that could be harder to sell because of the way it was ordered by a customer. So any cancelled orders MUST be cancelled BEFORE a vin is issued.

This is also why the dealer can't make any changes to the order after it is scheduled and a full vin is issued. Ford isn't just going to cancel it and issue a new vin because someone decided they wanted to change the order in some way.

It came from two sources at Ford, one at SVT, another in Dearborn HQ.

bj

bj

WHO REALLY GIVES A BLANK WHAT NUMBER YOUR CAR IS...EVEN WHEN YOU GET IT HOW WILL YOU KNOW THEY DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SAY AT THE NEXT PARTY...MY SHELBY IS NUMBER IS 427 (now that would be cool) BUT OTHERWISE WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE. THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR IS THE SAME TYPE OF CONTRIBUTION TO HIGH ADMS. FORD/SAI BELIEVE WE WORSHIP THESE CARS AND THEY EAT THIS UP. I LOVE MY CAR, BUT IT'S ONLY A DAMN CAR! MY SHELBY WAS BORN ON AUGUST 25, 2006, A GIRL, 8LBS. AND 20 INCHES...CIGARS ANYONE:hysterical2: :hysterical2:

WHO REALLY GIVES A BLANK WHAT NUMBER YOUR CAR IS...EVEN WHEN YOU GET IT HOW WILL YOU KNOW THEY DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SAY AT THE NEXT PARTY...MY SHELBY IS NUMBER IS 427 (now that would be cool) BUT OTHERWISE WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE. THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR IS THE SAME TYPE OF CONTRIBUTION TO HIGH ADMS. FORD/SAI BELIEVE WE WORSHIP THESE CARS AND THEY EAT THIS UP. I LOVE MY CAR, BUT IT'S ONLY A DAMN CAR! MY SHELBY WAS BORN ON AUGUST 25, 2006, A GIRL, 8LBS. AND 20 INCHES...CIGARS ANYONE:hysterical2: :hysterical2:

We can always count on you and your opinions. Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel next time. :hysterical::hysterical: I for one think this is cool info to have. Not that it makes a bit of crapp about anything, but still nice to know. My Shelby was born on August 30th 2006 was 188 inches long and weighed 3920 lbs.

bj

Interesting. If that is the case then I would like to know why we have never been able to cancel an order once a vin was issued. Been there, tried that, Ford says no can do.

Maybe you have to be considered one of their favorite dealers.

Sweet info! I got my #'s from the nice folks at SVT this morning:

Coupe # 6956 of 8150

White Coupe # 1866 of 2250

Plus, the guy told me that I'm pretty lucky to get one from late in the production run since most of those made in the first half of production had a bunch of problems.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

(Just kidding by the way)

You're right. I don't give a blank what number YOUR car is, per se, although I might someday, especially if you are an uscrupulous seller of a fake Shelby. But I also think it is neat to know this stuff for my own enjoyment and for other purposes. Just like the two guys who signed my engine plate saying they built it. It is kinda cool. I don't know what kind of cocktail parties you attend where you may feel the need to impress people, so I won't comment on that, but there may be a lot of reasons this info is helpful. If issues pop up down the road, it is at least one rudimentary method by which some of us can compare notes (all cars built at a certain point may or may not have the same issue). Many years from now, our heirs, successors, and assigns might benefit from the info to validate this was a real Shelby.

P.S. Did you know that when it comes to the internet, typing IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered screaming?

:idea:

Does anyone know if cars go down the line is rigorous VIN-sequence order.

If that's the case, then VIN, GT500 ##-of-##, and date/time off the line would all have to be sequential (obviously date/time always is). I thought VIN was not necessarily sequential down the line, but don't know ..that's why I'm asking.

It would seem that would be the case if a VIN is not assigned until logistics knows the car can be built. If so, it would seem exceptions would be very rare, i.e. possibly for material holds that become necessary only after VIN assignment (or is that just not possible).

Any insight?

Just called SVT. My baby is number 154 of 2694 Verts and number 45 of 809 Red ones. Build date 6-23. I love numbers. :hysterical2:

Hey Sandyman, although mine is a coupe and yours is a vert, it's neat that my numbers for my red coupe are close to your numbers for a red vert (I'm 47 of red coupes; 168 of total coupes). Numbers are fun. Unless I have to add them. Debits and credits. Alloy Dave? Paging Alloy Dave?

:happy feet:

Hey Sandyman, although mine is a coupe and yours is a vert, it's neat that my numbers for my red coupe are close to your numbers for a red vert (I'm 47 of red coupes; 168 of total coupes). Numbers are fun. Unless I have to add them. Debits and credits. Alloy Dave? Paging Alloy Dave?

:happy feet:

Those are close numbers. And, that's the problem with numbers, there are just to many of them. :banghead:

If that's the case, then VIN, GT500 ##-of-##, and date/time off the line would all have to be sequential (obviously date/time always is). I thought VIN was not necessarily sequential down the line, but don't know ..that's why I'm asking.

It would seem that would be the case if a VIN is not assigned until logistics knows the car can be built. If so, it would seem exceptions would be very rare, i.e. possibly for material holds that become necessary only after VIN assignment (or is that just not possible).

Any insight?

..I don't think vins correlate well with sequence; but I think the vin is the internal kickoff for the gathering of the various parts needed for assembly.

I sent an email a week ago to SVT. No response yet from them on my sequential build number. If I call their 800 number is there anyone I should ask to speak to? I'm curious to find out my build #.

Just call them. Whoever happens to answer can help. I also requested a certificate when ready.

soooo the total 07 run was at the number they advertised at the start..and the 08 runs....will be at the number they forecast? in my area the 07's are going for, ready- $82500.00 yup....bought mine last nov. the sticker with adm, was 72,500.00..its gone up...so hopefully if they stick to their numbers, that will remain so....into and through 08.....

Interesting. If that is the case then I would like to know why we have never been able to cancel an order once a vin was issued. Been there, tried that, Ford says no can do.

Maybe you have to be considered one of their favorite dealers.

Don't know what to tell you. Jeff at Ford Performance/SVT was one source; a friend at the corp office was the other. And of course they don't want you to cancel after it's serialized. They don't ever want you to cancel.

bj

..I don't think vins correlate well with sequence; but I think the vin is the internal kickoff for the gathering of the various parts needed for assembly.

hmmm... so if that's true and, say, a VIN doesn't get bucked for some time (because of an option shortage or ??) a VIN can be largely out of sequence down the line. That might explain some of the earlier comments on close build-dates with widely-separated VINs.

I do remember from a year ago last spring, there was talk of VINs being allocated in blocks and there being no correlation between VIN-seq and ##-of-## ...I think I recall that being offered as the reason why you can't look at VIN to get an idea of likely build date relative to another VIN.

Between FiveOhB, ShelbyDude, Venomous and Ralph at AAI we could probably figure it all out, but then Ford wouldhave to shoot us :hysterical:

hmmm... so if that's true and, say, a VIN doesn't get bucked for some time (because of an option shortage or ??) a VIN can be largely out of sequence down the line. That might explain some of the earlier comments on close build-dates with widely-separated VINs.

I do remember from a year ago last spring, there was talk of VINs being allocated in blocks and there being no correlation between VIN-seq and ##-of-## ...I think I recall that being offered as the reason why you can't look at VIN to get an idea of likely build date relative to another VIN.

Between FiveOhB, ShelbyDude, Venomous and Ralph at AAI we could probably figure it all out, but then Ford wouldhave to shoot us :hysterical:

Well.....I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :hysterical:

bj

Shelby Dude: Hey we are close; my car is number 170 of Vista Blue what was your build date? Mine was 8/16/06

68KR07 and Shelbydude:

We are all very close. My build date was 8/16/06 and was 175 of 1054 and 1359 of 8150. Very cool.

Well.....I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :hysterical:

bj

:hysterical: ..sorry about the screen-name faux pas (VenomousVNMOUS1) ;)

BJ, do you recall about 15 months ago Ford (cust-service?) telling someone in here that the VIN allocations for this car were done differently than prior Cobras? ...had something to do with it being the shared AAI line and the context, if I recall, had to do with why build sequence can't be available until after the total production run.

I remember thinking that doesn't make sense and wondering what's really different since it was the same deal with the '01 Cobras and there was no shared line then. Is it possible that Mazdas and 'Stangs share the sequence# portion of the VIN? That would seem odd but, at a plant level, could make a lot of sense.

Ah, maybe it is destined to remain a mystery ...for now :devil:

--

...maybe a list of the build info folks are getting on their cars could be compiled in post#1 ...like dgussin does for track times? :spiteful: ;-)

Date of birth - - - overall seq# - - - coupe/vert seq# - - - color - - - color seq#

Would be very cool.

Any insight?

When we went on the Ford tour at Flat Rock our guide told us once everthing is in he computer to build the car, then the car is built & there should be no parts shortage . So I would say your right on with the #`s being sequential.

Archived