TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Production Numbers- Ford/Shelby Come to an Agreement

gabed1

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm #507 of 2,250 Performance White Coupes. 1 of 2,037 total w/ blue stripes.

#2,160 of 8,150 Total Coupes. 1 of 2,099 White Coupes with Charcoal Black Interior.

Build date 9/20/06 4th Shelby to arrive at dealer in South Florida.

So close to being 500 that would have been cool.

Several colors had the option of getting the red inserts and white was one of them.

ShelbyDude, VNMOUS1's and my car are 488 and 489 of GT500 coupes built, 169 and 170 of red coupes and are cars have the same build date of 6/27/06. How is it possible the serial numbers are over 3600 digits apart? Insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Blayne

ShelbyDude, VNMOUS1's and my car are 488 and 489 of GT500 coupes built, 169 and 170 of red coupes and are cars have the same build date of 6/27/06. How is it possible the serial numbers are over 3600 digits apart? Insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Blayne

Ya know, Blayne, I *did* notice a boatload of Mazda 6's sitting on the lot when I was in Flat Rock. Maybe they were spit out in the hours between my car and yours on 6/27. :hysterical2:

I'll tell you what's cool, though.....so not only were our RED cars sequentially, but our cars were back to back coupes that just happened to be red. What's even more interesting is that we both live in IL, and managed to meet earlier this year in STL and had NO idea of the build sequence.

Yup. Cool.

bj

Ya know, Blayne, I *did* notice a boatload of Mazda 6's sitting on the lot when I was in Flat Rock. Maybe they were spit out in the hours between my car and yours on 6/27. :hysterical2:

I'll tell you what's cool, though.....so not only were our RED cars sequentially, but our cars were back to back coupes that just happened to be red. What's even more interesting is that we both live in IL, and managed to meet earlier this year in STL and had NO idea of the build sequence.

Yup. Cool.

bj

That is funny.

Yup. Cool.

bj

I don't think they can build 3,000 cars in one day. Something is odd here.

Do you remember what your scheduled build date was when Ford first scheduled the car to be built? Could it have been pushed back and delayed for some reason? That would be the only thing I can think of that the vins are so far apart like that.

Even if yours was the first car of the day and Blaynes was the last car of the day, it couldn't be over 3,000 vins apart. 300 - 600 yeah, but not 3,000.

Do you remember what your scheduled build date was when Ford first scheduled the car to be built? Could it have been pushed back and delayed for some reason? That would be the only thing I can think of that the vins are so far apart like that.

Even if yours was the first car of the day and Blaynes was the last car of the day, it couldn't be over 3,000 vins apart. 300 - 600 yeah, but not 3,000.

I remember the first 500 were on hold, only thing certain is our s/n's are over 3000 apart and we are 488 and 489 coupes built and 169, 170 Reds. I would suspect his car was the last GT500 for some reason for at least several days and then they spit mine out :hysterical:

Good point. I ordered my car on the first day the books were open. Mar 13, 2006 if I remember correctly. I was shortly thereafter bumped up to a "00" priority and was actually given a VIN fairly early. So, it's possible that mine got serialized early and just so happened to be built on 6/27. If someone else has a 6/26-6/28 build date, it would be interesting to check their VIN against Blayne's (and mine).

I can't remember how many units they can turn out at max output, but they were making about 30 GT500s a day at that time. Granted, that had nothing to do with the sequence on the VIN.

It'd be interesting to know what the VIN was on the first regular production GT500 (not the first 90 or so that were truly sequential). By the way, those cars were added into the total production figure and our XXX of XXXX numbers also include and preproduction cars that were eventually sold to the public.

bj

This is a real long shot guess...but I wonder if one of you ordered the shaker 1000 back when they were putting those on hold for an issue (something about the weight or brackets or something)...and maybe they had assigned a VIN, but then had to put the car "aside" until they got the issue resolved? :shrug:

This is a real long shot guess...but I wonder if one of you ordered the shaker 1000 back when they were putting those on hold for an issue (something about the weight or brackets or something)...and maybe they had assigned a VIN, but then had to put the car "aside" until they got the issue resolved? :shrug:

Dave,

There was no hold on the shaker 1000 for the Coupes. That only pertained to the verts.

:doh:

You are correct. Sometimes I get so eager to help I don't THINK :banghead:

I am President of that club. Wanna join? :hysterical:

Yep, it was 'verts only and I don't have the 1000 anyway. Ping > Pounding bass.

bj

Thanks to the information from you guys I just called on my GT-500 Coupe Black / Red Stripe package:

The numbers:

Total Production # 7206

Build Date 05/07/07

# 1377 Black coupe

#15 of the Red Stripe Packages (both Black & White)

#4 Black / Red Stripe Package

Thanks again for directing me to this information. The SVT guys were really helpful on the phone but said no certifictes are available yet.

Dave,

There was no hold on the shaker 1000 for the Coupes. That only pertained to the verts.

Not true. When mine came up for production in Sept, I was given the ultimatum by Ford to delete the S1000 and build then or keep the S1000 and wait until early in 07 for a build date. Not only was there a technical hold for S1000 in verts, there was a material hold for available units of the S1000 for coupes as well for some months of production. There were some S1000s built in Sept 06, just not all that were originally ordered due to supply issues. From other posts at the time, this had been going on for several months so I was not surprised when I got the call.

Good point. I ordered my car on the first day the books were open. Mar 13, 2006 if I remember correctly. I was shortly thereafter bumped up to a "00" priority and was actually given a VIN fairly early. So, it's possible that mine got serialized early and just so happened to be built on 6/27. If someone else has a 6/26-6/28 build date, it would be interesting to check their VIN against Blayne's (and mine).

I can't remember how many units they can turn out at max output, but they were making about 30 GT500s a day at that time. Granted, that had nothing to do with the sequence on the VIN.

It'd be interesting to know what the VIN was on the first regular production GT500 (not the first 90 or so that were truly sequential). By the way, those cars were added into the total production figure and our XXX of XXXX numbers also include and preproduction cars that were eventually sold to the public.

bj

Maybe my stats will help, maybe not, but here it is anway.

I have a coupe with the Shaker 1000. I was told by SVT that my car is #233 of 8,150 coupes. I believe the first production car was built on June 7 (or 6), 2006. The original receipt of the order for my car was April 19, 2006. Inv Prep was June 7, 2006. Orig. Sched was June 12, 2006 and last Prod Date June 15, 2006.

If I am #233, and there where 8 days between job 1 and mine, that would mean 233/8=29.125 cars built per day during the first week. I was told that there where 51 pre-production cars (can someone verify this?). So 233-51=182/8=22.75 cars per day. I believe there is a thread from last July that stated AAI was making around 20 to 25 cars per day the first couple weeks. I believe this would support the notion that our production numbers include the pre-production run as well. What do you think?

bj

BJ -

My car was built 6/27. It is #480 overall, #161 of 2153 RED coupes. It is safe to say that at least ten Red coupes were built in a row from the numbers you and Blayne posted. I seem to recall that my VIN was close to yours - I think it was 16 numbers or less difference - but I think it was a higher last six than yours. I'll PM just for grins.

BJ -

My car was built 6/27. It is #480 overall, #161 of 2153 RED coupes. It is safe to say that at least ten Red coupes were built in a row from the numbers you and Blayne posted. I seem to recall that my VIN was close to yours - I think it was 16 numbers or less difference - but I think it was a higher last six than yours. I'll PM just for grins.

Oh...so that was YOU up there in front of the Mustang 6-banger 'vert! Yup, I was in the rocking chair between you and Blayne.

My PM may explain the VIN.

bj

BJ does have a lower serial number than I do, and he placed his order weeks ahead of me. However, mine was built ahead of his, quite possibly becuase my car was a PowerLease car. This just goes to show that when the cars are serialized and when they are actually produced - and in what order - is not related. A production line slot is just that - Ford obviously puts the cars on the line in the order that makes the most sense for Ford, not us.

Since I knew BJ had a lower serial number than me, I had fond hopes of being #500. Not.

My car is #2345 out of 8150 coupes.

#294 out of 1054 vista blue coupes.

I was told by SVT that they would not ever have the stripe color breakdowns.

Anyone have an idea how to get that info????

CB

My car is #2345 out of 8150 coupes.

#294 out of 1054 vista blue coupes.

I was told by SVT that they would not ever have the stripe color breakdowns.

Anyone have an idea how to get that info????

CB

Cobra Boy. I asked and they gave me 61 Performance White with Tungsten Stripes. They could not tell me which of the 61 I am. I also got Alloy with Tungsten stripes as it was the lowest with 34. White/Tungsten was second lowest. There was a stripe delete than was the actual lowest number produced with 24. I think it was Vista Blue.

Cobrafan, you obviously have a 'touch' with these guys most of the rest of us don't have. They told me they didn't have any stripe numbers and most others have been told the same. Maybe you could call back and get the figures for all the combos they haven't already given you.

JR

BJ does have a lower serial number than I do, and he placed his order weeks ahead of me. However, mine was built ahead of his, quite possibly becuase my car was a PowerLease car. This just goes to show that when the cars are serialized and when they are actually produced - and in what order - is not related. A production line slot is just that - Ford obviously puts the cars on the line in the order that makes the most sense for Ford, not us.

Since I knew BJ had a lower serial number than me, I had fond hopes of being #500. Not.

If this is a re-run, just ignore it.

Here's the poop on the VINs. Cars are serialized when they're ordered, not when they're built. In fact, many cars are serialized, then canceled and the VIN isn't reused.

Let's take Blayne and my cars for example. Built same day, his right behind mine by exactly one car, both in coupes and red coupes. But, there's 3,000+ difference in our VINs. My VIN was issued early on in the process. I have it written down somewhere, but it wasn't long after ordering the car. Blayne's car was serialized after mine. So, between the time mine was serialized and his was, there were 3,000+ cars that were given VINs. We have no idea how many produced cars that represented. So, let's say that it's in the first month of ordering (March) for MY2007 and the order bank just opened. Tons of cars being ordered. Lots of them GT500s and other 'Stangs. Most dealerships order multiple cars at a whack. It wouldn't take but one cancellation of a car from each of the nation's dealers to account for that 3,000+ VIN discrepancy between our cars. In fact, Blaynes VIN could actually be the EXACT "next" car in VIN sequence if all of those were canceled. Again, they don't re-use VINs.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and re Three Cobra's later serialization yet earlier build....yes, it was Ford keeping their commitment to a Powerlease consumer. They didn't all happen that way, so you were lucky.

bj

Archived