TEAM SHELBY FORUM

50-100k over MSRP for a KR = Dealer Hype

gabed1

I think many dealers are bidding on there own items under the reserve amount to create a false market.

Most of the dealers I called (the first 50 that got an allocation) were asking 40-50k over.

When the rest of the allocation comes out these cars will come down in price. I am not saying you will ever get one at sticker, but 15-25k over sticker is more reasonable. Even if they are only making 1000. Remember they made less than 1000 cobra R’s and they aren’t worth much more than they were selling for in 2000. Once the next best thing comes along this will fade out like the Ford GT did.

Remember the hype when the 07 Shelby’s first came out. Now 07 Shelby’s going for now just barely sticker.

All the hog dealers that held out for the big $$ are now eating them. :finger:

This past weekend I was at the Tasca show and one of the Shelby representatives told me that ford is going to make an 09 Shelby.

Let’s face it guy’s and gal’s the 09 will be the fastest and most likely the best looking.

They will have to be, because competition is coming in the form of an SS corvette, the new camaro, and the new challenger.

:waiting:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely spot on!

I beg to differ.

Dealers around here are still trying to get 20-30 grand over on GT500's. I just had one dealer call me last week wanting to know if I wanted one at 25-30k over MSRP. :stop:

Not nearly the "Now 07 Shelby’s going for now just barely sticker." now is it?

They may not be selling for this but dealers are still asking and wanting that amount.

I beg to differ.

Dealers around here are still trying to get 20-30 grand over on GT500's. I just had one dealer call me last week wanting to know if I wanted one at 25-30k over MSRP. :stop:

Not nearly the "Now 07 Shelby’s going for now just barely sticker." now is it?

They may not be selling for this but dealers are still asking and wanting that amount.

They are dropping at Mike Shad in Jacksonville. Not near MSRP, however they have budged off their 20k and even posted it as an 08 at 10 over. When I responded the salesman tried to sell me the 07 they portrayed as an 08 (not that I would give them 10 anyway). Also Maroone Ford in Florida has contacted me as they would not budge off of the 20k a few months ago but are now willing to deal (not anywhere near MSRP). I did not pursue either as my personal preferance is an 08 (just me OK). Anyway long story short I told them I wanted an 08 as that is simply what I want. I am sure they will sell their 07's.

I think many dealers are bidding on there own items under the reserve amount to create a false market.

Most of the dealers I called (the first 50 that got an allocation) were asking 40-50k over.

When the rest of the allocation comes out these cars will come down in price. I am not saying you will ever get one at sticker, but 15-25k over sticker is more reasonable. Even if they are only making 1000. Remember they made less than 1000 cobra R’s and they aren’t worth much more than they were selling for in 2000. Once the next best thing comes along this will fade out like the Ford GT did.

Remember the hype when the 07 Shelby’s first came out. Now 07 Shelby’s going for now just barely sticker.

All the hog dealers that held out for the big $$ are now eating them. :finger:

This past weekend I was at the Tasca show and one of the Shelby representatives told me that ford is going to make an 09 Shelby.

Let’s face it guy’s and gal’s the 09 will be the fastest and most likely the best looking.

They will have to be, because competition is coming in the form of an SS corvette, the new camaro, and the new challenger.

:waiting:

Comments like yours and similiar to yours come from people that don't own one, want one but for some reason can't get one. 09 fastest?? I'm sure you said the same about the 1985 GT when the 1982 GT came out. So what the heck does that mean?? Enjoy life now.............or wait, I'm sure 2015 will be the fastest so keep waiting..........

Absolutely!!!! Don't hate the player.... hate the game! If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. Me personally my '69 Fastback is faster than almost anything on the road with 1,100hp!!! But I don't down anyone elses car or even compare it to my 2007 GT 500 soon to be Super Snake as I put down the deposit yesterday!! I live to drive not to look for the best or fastest down the road... I'm sure Shelby isn't ending their business at the end of '08 so we can definitely look for more production to come, and for all you hopefuls out there a possiblity to own a great car and hopefully enjoy it and not think what next years model will have under the hood!

When dealers are hurting financially and a car comes along that allows them the oppertunity for the big adm .... I persoanally dont have a issue with this. Understand, no one has to buy these cars. The dealer isnt forcing anyone. Those who justify the price regardless of how unfair it might be, will buy the car.

I believe in being fair but also being market value. In other words our one ShelbyGT500 we sold was below a $10k adm. We sold the car toa fellow forum member and that price was pretty much in the middle of what other dealers are selling their cars for.

When the deposits are accepted for the KR ... I am sure there will be some few dealers taking a low adm .. possibly even MSRP.

I expect a ADM as already discussed on this thread. Somewhere between 30,000 to 50,000 over ... possibly more.

This car will be a true limited production car that collectors will flock too and will justify this price.

Now and later

Absolutely!!!! Don't hate the player.... hate the game! If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. Me personally my '69 Fastback is faster than almost anything on the road with 1,100hp!!! But I don't down anyone elses car or even compare it to my 2007 GT 500 soon to be Super Snake as I put down the deposit yesterday!! I live to drive not to look for the best or fastest down the road... I'm sure Shelby isn't ending their business at the end of '08 so we can definitely look for more production to come, and for all you hopefuls out there a possiblity to own a great car and hopefully enjoy it and not think what next years model will have under the hood!

Listen guys calm down. :redcard: On Ebay most 07 shelbys are not selling much over sticker.

I would be happy to fax any of you my invoice on 05/06 I paid a dealer in VT only 5k over sticker for a 07 shelby GT500 Vert.

All I am saying is that at this point the amount over sticker on the KR is hype and I think it is going to come down. And if your looking at this car for an "investment" as most dealers are marketing them, the cobra R was only like 350 cars and they have not appreciated in value.

I am no being negative, you can spend your money how ever you want. (I have an 07 GT500 you can by for 20k over if you want also Lol.)

Look at the KRs on ebay today. So far they have not broke 25k over sticker and the other 950 have not even been allocated yet.

I am sure manny of the dealers posting on this forum will try to argue with me so they can keep collecting big $$ over sticker as long as they can. :headspin:

Listen guys calm down. :redcard: On Ebay most 07 shelbys are not selling much over sticker.

I would be happy to fax any of you my invoice on 05/06 I paid a dealer in VT only 5k over sticker for a 07 shelby GT500 Vert.

All I am saying is that at this point the amount over sticker on the KR is hype and I think it is going to come down. And if your looking at this car for an "investment" as most dealers are marketing them, the cobra R was only like 350 cars and they have not appreciated in value.

I am no being negative, you can spend your money how ever you want. (I have an 07 GT500 you can by for 20k over if you want also Lol.)

Look at the KRs on ebay today. So far they have not broke 25k over sticker and the other 950 have not even been allocated yet.

I am sure manny of the dealers posting on this forum will try to argue with me so they can keep collecting big $$ over sticker as long as they can. :headspin:

i was on ebay this morning and found one KR going for around 50 over MSRP. It has two days to go so we will see how far it goes. The first cars always seem to go for the most in my opinion, they are the people that have to have it now. Honestly if i had the money I would be one of those people that are on the have to have list.

Actually, the first 100 have been allocated. They gave 50 away in Detroit at the big dealer conference and then 50 more in Aug for the July F-Series contest.

$15K over for a KR???

There are Dealers offering $30K over for every KR they can get. Other Dealers offering $100K regardless of what MSRP will be.

So with Dealers offering $30K over and a $100K flat how is anyone going to find one for $15K over?

I suspect a lot of dealers will keep the one they get and not sell them. Some will prefer to keep theirs but may put a ridiculous price tag on it and let it go if someone wants to buy it, or otherwise just keep it for themselves.

As for 09, they will be the same as the 07 and 08. There won't be any changes to the style or HP. Perhaps a new color or stripe color but that is about it. That is IF they build it.

2010 is going to be the new redesign. So with the challenger and camero coming out, I suspect the 09 will be a very short run model year. I suspect the 2010 will be out early 09 sometime between Jan - March 09 just to be ready to compete with the challenger and camero with the new Boss coming.

When we toured the Romeo Engine Plant and the IAA Plant I specifically asked if they are building the GT500 for 09 and if the Boss will be a 09 or 10 model.

The answer I got about the GT500 for 09 was: "If I tell you the answer to that I would have to kill you"

I asked about the Boss. Will it be a 09 or 10 model. Answer to that was: "YES"!

OK, which is it? 09 or 10??? YES! It will be out in 09 but don't know if it will be an 09 or 10 model.

So after thinking about all this I have come to the conclusion that the 09 will end up being a short run for all mustangs so they can start production on the 10 model early 09 to compete with the challenger and camero coming out. The Challenger is suppose to be out by Feb or March of 09. So I suspect with the 2010 mustang being a new redesign that Ford will want to launch this car right before or right about the same time the Challenger comes out.

So this would mean even if they build an 09 GT500 it will be a very short run for 09 which would be about half the production number of the 08.

07 they built around 10,900 and 08 they claim they are building only 8,000 and if 09 is a short model year run then I would guesstimate around 4,000 for 09 if they build it another year.

Look at the 08 Super Duty. That cam out in Jan 07. In past years the Escape came out in March for the new model year, as in, 07 Escape out in March 06.

So I would not be surprised to see the new 2010 mustang out sometime between Jan - March of 2009.

One thing to keep in mind on the Cobra R issue. They did not say Shelby. Say what you will about where they're built, whether they are real Shelby's and so on. But as long as those six letters are on the car it will demand a premium. Even if it is MSRP after three production years IMHO that's still a premium as you don't see that on any other cars that I'm aware of, even Z06's sell below list within the first year.

Honestly if i had the money I would be one of those people that are on the have to have list.

I got to thinking. How much money would you have to have in order to feel comfortable about spending $150k on a KR? $1m? $5M? $10m? More? At $1m, a $150k car represents 15% of your net worth. And that $150k asset will most likely depreciate...

It's also quite possible Ford will sell the KR for more than one year ...along with the GT500 ...and SA's SS.

...and who knows what else ... a slightly kicked-up Shelby GT/GT350? ...a stripper Bullitt and a Mach ('08?), and the Boss ('09?)... I could see Ford developing the Bullitt as the 'stripper' base for SA's GT350 and Ford's Boss. In that context, the Bullitt could be important to see what it's NOT (i.e. lightweight, simple interior/option-set).

I'm sure there will be slick aftermarket variations on the Camaro/Challenger too from Saleen, Foose, etc. Ford may have paved this road, but GM will drive down it too. (which reminds me, what happened to the ballyhooed Foose Mustang -- not the ones he did thru Unique Performance, but the ones Ford annnounced they'd be logo'ing with his name thru Ford dealers?)

I would expect MY'10 to be a big year for change/new-stuff from Ford given the refresh and it's ability to digenst chassis changes for the H/Boss (later??) and the Boss (spring '09?) possibly built off the Aluminator block and related 4V heads now available thru FRP -- and something (GT500? or?) built off the GT500 motor or a variant of it.

I've been saying for some time that I find it hard to believe the KR will actually ship with 'only' 540HP <lol> so maybe it will also get a nudge in '09 or maybe the TVS makes it to the KR -- my hunch all along tho no evidence of such in '08.

Fun times for sure!! If I could afford it I'd own one of each!!! :happy feet:

;)

I got to thinking. How much money would you have to have in order to feel comfortable about spending $150k on a KR? $1m? $5M? $10m? More? At $1m, a $150k car represents 15% of your net worth. And that $150k asset will most likely depreciate...

I don't think that would be the case with this car. Look at the Ford GT. About 4,000 made. Sold for insane amounts over MSRP. Sure, the prices came down, but now they are going back up again. You can't get them anymore.

Regardless, I would never buy one for the purpose of being worth more in the future. If I bought one it would be solely for the purpose of just wanting one and having to have it, regardless of what its future value may be!

Heck, I would be DRIVING IT if I bought one!

I also think that the ShelbyGT500 ... assuming this is the last year for the build ( thats a altogether different thread! ) .... will see higher ADM's as availablity dwindles down to ZERO.

Think those who waited too long .. will pay more. Anyone else want to chime in on this thought ??

I think that the GT500 and the KR are a very hyped up right now. But that is not a bad thing. It simply shows how much the car is desired in TODAYS market and how much people are willing to pay to get one. However, it is possible that the Hype cools a bit over the next few years for several reasons.

People might start to lean towards the upcoming Camaro and Challenger that will be cheaper, I doubt any ADM issues with them.

The 08 REGULAR GT500 might also be cast into the 09s shadow, if produced, because people might think REDESIGN or MORE POWER. But this one might bounce back up, if it is announced NO 09!

The KR might also be cast into the shadows of the SS. I for example wanted the KR but now lean more towards SS. That means one less possible ADM booster (just like many others).

GT350 might also become the more "conventional" and affordable car to buy, thus removing even more people from the GT500 market.

Now for 09, if the GT500 is produced, people might no longer be so HYPED about it because of the '10 model mustangs will look just that much better and be more powerful and CHEAPER. Remember, that is what ended up happening with the 04 Termies. Powerlease holder, anyone?! (BTW, You guys are SO lucky!) Hmmmmm......not a bad idea to wait and possibly be a powerlease holder for the 09 GT500, if produced! MSRP on 09 and MSRP on the next big thing! :yahoo: :happy feet:

I think regardless of what happens, you should not expect much of a price drop in ADM. Sure, you might see a FEW MORE dealerships sell at or near MSRP, but truth is that the majority will still have a nice and healthy ADM.

M2C

:tequila: (BTW, this was all the TEQUILA talking)

ALEX

For some interesting information on what a year old GT500 is worth go to Kelleybluebook.com

It will surprise you.

Every dealer has made a killing on these cars and can afford to sit on it for a lot longer.

I know that Dublin Ford in Dublin Ca. has one on there lot for 60 grand and they aren't dealing.

I also know they they sold more than one at $100,000 plus.

I also agree that if I was a dealer and I could get a KR at wholesale then why would I sell it.

The only problem I see is that those who get them will put it in a barn and never drive it.

Then in 20 years there will still be 1000 left.

They will be all the same no special options they will all be identical.

A great car for 60 or 70 thousand.

If I had the jack I would want one but my wife has all the jack now I have a bad ass GT500

all my dreams have been fulfilled at least for now.

The debate continues just like for the GT500 I love it.

I hope the adm's are out of this world for this car I cant afford it anyway.

As for Chevy and Dodge those cars will be built in the millions and none will be able to keep up with the Shelby GT500.

Because if they built special models with limited runs then do you not think that those dealers wouldn't mark them up.

Does anyone really think that Chevy and Dodge dealers are not as scummy as Ford dealers?

Art

For some interesting information on what a year old GT500 is worth go to Kelleybluebook.com

It will surprise you.

Every dealer has made a killing on these cars and can afford to sit on it for a lot longer.

I know that Dublin Ford in Dublin Ca. has one on there lot for 60 grand and they aren't dealing.

I also know they they sold more than one at $100,000 plus.

I also agree that if I was a dealer and I could get a KR at wholesale then why would I sell it.

The only problem I see is that those who get them will put it in a barn and never drive it.

Then in 20 years there will still be 1000 left.

They will be all the same no special options they will all be identical.

A great car for 60 or 70 thousand.

If I had the jack I would want one but my wife has all the jack now I have a bad ass GT500

all my dreams have been fulfilled at least for now.

The debate continues just like for the GT500 I love it.

I hope the adm's are out of this world for this car I cant afford it anyway.

As for Chevy and Dodge those cars will be built in the millions and none will be able to keep up with the Shelby GT500.

Because if they built special models with limited runs then do you not think that those dealers wouldn't mark them up.

Does anyone really think that Chevy and Dodge dealers are not as scummy as Ford dealers?

Art

If dealers are scummy because they can sell a car for big ADM's then does that make all those people that paid it scummy also???? What is the difference?

Actually, the first 100 have been allocated. They gave 50 away in Detroit at the big dealer conference and then 50 more in Aug for the July F-Series contest.

$15K over for a KR???

There are Dealers offering $30K over for every KR they can get. Other Dealers offering $100K regardless of what MSRP will be.

So with Dealers offering $30K over and a $100K flat how is anyone going to find one for $15K over?

I suspect a lot of dealers will keep the one they get and not sell them. Some will prefer to keep theirs but may put a ridiculous price tag on it and let it go if someone wants to buy it, or otherwise just keep it for themselves.

As for 09, they will be the same as the 07 and 08. There won't be any changes to the style or HP. Perhaps a new color or stripe color but that is about it. That is IF they build it.

2010 is going to be the new redesign. So with the challenger and camero coming out, I suspect the 09 will be a very short run model year. I suspect the 2010 will be out early 09 sometime between Jan - March 09 just to be ready to compete with the challenger and camero with the new Boss coming.

When we toured the Romeo Engine Plant and the IAA Plant I specifically asked if they are building the GT500 for 09 and if the Boss will be a 09 or 10 model.

The answer I got about the GT500 for 09 was: "If I tell you the answer to that I would have to kill you"

OK, which is it? 09 or 10??? YES! It will be out in 09 but don't know if it will be an 09 or 10 model.

So after thinking about all this I have come to the conclusion that the 09 will end up being a short run for all mustangs so they can start production on the 10 model early 09 to compete with the challenger and camero coming out. The Challenger is suppose to be out by Feb or March of 09. So I suspect with the 2010 mustang being a new redesign that Ford will want to launch this car right before or right about the same time the Challenger comes out.

So this would mean even if they build an 09 GT500 it will be a very short run for 09 which would be about half the production number of the 08.

07 they built around 10,900 and 08 they claim they are building only 8,000 and if 09 is a short model year run then I would guesstimate around 4,000 for 09 if they build it another year.

Look at the 08 Super Duty. That cam out in Jan 07. In past years the Escape came out in March for the new model year, as in, 07 Escape out in March 06.

So I would not be surprised to see the new 2010 mustang out sometime between Jan - March of 2009.

I guess time will see who is right but we had people on this forum making the same arguments last year and the prices have come down. The old Shelby were worth money because no one knew at the time they were going to be worth money and they were only so limited in production because people back then did have the $$ to pay up for a Shelby and people were more mechanical and could make there mustangs just as fast for allot less money. As for the cobra R I don’t care if it has the Shelby name or not. Name another mustang that had a production of 350 cars.

The fact of the matter is all those people who bought them thought at the time the it was the latest and the greatest and that they wouldn't be building anything faster or more exclusive just like the people who ponied up over 30k last year for one of the 1st GT500's.

No car is worth 100% over sticker. My opinion. If you disagree put your money where your mouth is and pay the 100k over sticker. I think the people who wait till the end of the year will get a better deal.

It’s just a false market all the dealers have priced fixed 50-100k over sticker. When the demand dies down the prices will fall.

Face it people you could buy a 08 gt500 and a 08 and have it super snaked for the same money as a KR.

It is just plain stupid :hysterical2:

$15K over for a KR???

I guess time will see who is right but we had people on this forum making the same arguments last year and the prices have come down. The old Shelby were worth money because no one knew at the time they were going to be worth money and they were only so limited in production because people back then did have the $$ to pay up for a Shelby and people were more mechanical and could make there mustangs just as fast for allot less money. As for the cobra R I don’t care if it has the Shelby name or not. Name another mustang that had a production of 350 cars.

The fact of the matter is all those people who bought them thought at the time the it was the latest and the greatest and that they wouldn't be building anything faster or more exclusive just like the people who ponied up over 30k last year for one of the 1st GT500's.

No car is worth 100% over sticker. My opinion. If you disagree put your money where your mouth is and pay the 100k over sticker. I think the people who wait till the end of the year will get a better deal.

It’s just a false market all the dealers have priced fixed 50-100k over sticker. When the demand dies down the prices will fall.

Face it people you could buy a 08 gt500 and a 08 and have it super snaked for the same money as a KR.

There are 20-25 (there's some obvious duplicates) 2007 Shelby's for sale in Canada at http://www.canadatrader.com, with the least expensive at $64,000. Some are at dealers, some private. They all seem to have max 2,500 miles on them, most much less. The lowest convertible is listed at $70,000. My convertible listed at $57,000 and I paid $67,000 for it, in October 2006. I bought it to drive, and have over 7,000 miles on it, mostly parked over winter.

The aberration in the listings is at $109,000. :nonono: Otherwise, the highest prices are $83,000 for 2 'verts.

Prices still seem to be up there...

There are 20-25 (there's some obvious duplicates) 2007 Shelby's for sale in Canada at http://www.canadatrader.com, with the least expensive at $64,000. Some are at dealers, some private. They all seem to have max 2,500 miles on them, most much less. The lowest convertible is listed at $70,000. My convertible listed at $57,000 and I paid $67,000 for it, in October 2006. I bought it to drive, and have over 7,000 miles on it, mostly parked over winter.

The aberration in the listings is at $109,000. :nonono: Otherwise, the highest prices are $83,000 for 2 'verts.

Prices still seem to be up there...

If I ask for 100k for my 2007 GT500 vert doesn't mean I am going to get it.. :hysterical2:

As for the cobra R I don’t care if it has the Shelby name or not. Name another mustang that had a production of 350 cars.

I think you missed my point. If that were a Shelby with a run of 350 cars what do you think it would fetch? I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm just stating facts. I presume if the Boss comes back you'll have a similar situation. History does have a way of repeating itself......

IMHO it's all about how much green you got. Someone like Ron Pratt should care about 100k over? Doubt it. I couldn't do it myself but there's no shortage of those with mega bankrolls that can and will whether you or anyone else thinks it stupid.

I think you missed my point. If that were a Shelby with a run of 350 cars what do you think it would fetch? I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm just stating facts. I presume if the Boss comes back you'll have a similar situation. History does have a way of repeating itself......

IMHO it's all about how much green you got. Someone like Ron Pratt should care about 100k over? Doubt it. I couldn't do it myself but there's no shortage of those with mega bankrolls that can and will whether you or anyone else thinks it stupid.

Maybe stupid was a strong word. Didn't mean to offend you

Ahhh, I forgot about Ron Pratte. That is one more allocation forgotten about! So make that 101 that have been allocated so far! :hysterical:

You know Ford will allocate the first at the Barrett-Jackson sale so Ron can get his for his collection!

Archived