TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WILLOW SPRINGS DAY!!!!!! 9/8/07

ShelbySteve

Sent you an e-mail.

I just got a tracking # from them today, should be here Thursday or Friday. I'm in + instruction. :happy feet:

edit: It also looks like I've got a Clear Bra installation lined up, so I won't be needing painter's tape I don't think..

OK your in with an instructor, but get signed up to the event at www.opentrackracing.com

Just shot a video with the Ventura Star as a lead in for the event. They will be recording the event for their multimedia dept

Man its close and Im getting that cant wait feeling going!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an updated list- there could be more that I am not aware of

Jon Thomas- BDX Mustang

Ken Palos- BDX Mustang

Jim Edison- Shelby Gt

Mike Caputo-Shelby Gt500

Sam Truong- Shelby Gt500

Daniel Bashaw- Shelby Gt500

Tony Hill- Shelby Gt500

Jay Stusser- Shelby Gt500

Vern Alstot- Shelby Gt500

James Mensendiek- shelby Gt500

Humberto Villa Senior- Shelby Gt500

Armen -Gt500

Rollen Robertson-Gt500

Luis Torres-05 Mustang Gt

Getting bigger!

Ok so I have a Clear Bra installer who can do my front end up tomorrow or Friday, would this be enough protection?

Are the cars even going to be close enough to warrant all the tape?

It need 24 hrs to fully cure. To help is to park your car under the sun. I have clear bra on my car but I still bring blue masking tape for extra protection. Better to be safe then sorry.

Is taping the headlamps required by the track?
\

NO requirement at all, most dont do it. It is really a owner issue, none of the BDX customers have done it and none have had a problem. You know how it is though, the minute I say "dont waste you time", a headlight would get busted

First time for me. That's why I signed up for the driving instructions.

Most are 1st timers, the BDX Mustang guys have had a few private lessons and will be running in Advanced or intermediate depending if they want to be challenged or have fun passing cars. BTW instruction is for all levels, I have a driving coach as well, they same one that Tony Stewart has used along with Greg Biffle, Mark Martin and others. The minute we know it all, we are toast!

Also in the good news dept, temps are dropping tons! Forcast has gone to the mid 90s and 60s during the nights. Lots nicer than last weekend (110+)

OK about to start to load the trailer.

Pop up tents.. check

3 cases of water....check

compressor.....check

pit bike.....check

hand tools..check

Video Camera.....check

Camera........check

you get the idea..crashing in Lancaster tonight

See ya there!

One more stupid question -

Unless I'm dressed up, I never wear long sleeves. Will I be good to go if I'm wearing a normal T-shirt with jeans?

This is answered earlier in the thread. I don't think they will let it fly, it would be more comfortable though. Why not just wear the long sleeves when your driving, and change to short after. I sure envy you guys, and wish I could be there. Next time.....

This is answered earlier in the thread. I don't think they will let it fly, it would be more comfortable though. Why not just wear the long sleeves when your driving, and change to short after. I sure envy you guys, and wish I could be there. Next time.....

We do require long sleeved shirts and long pants while on the track. I'm sorry, I know it gets warm out there, but it's for your safety .

Crap, there it is. All of my long sleeves are dress shirts, guess I need to go shopping after work. :banghead:

OK everybody, here is the day we have been waiting for!!! Saturday September 8, 2007 is GT500 day at the Willow Springs Track. Please go to opentrackracing.com and sign up and pay (190.00) for the day. Alan Crockett from Barber Racing Experience will be providing driving school for the day. To sign up and pay (250.00) for the driving school go to "barberdrivingexperience.com" or call 805-340-5110. We have informed Ford and the Shelby people of this event. It could be the biggest gathering of new GT500s on a track since the car has been on the road. Additionally the media in various forms will be attending this event.

We need to be at the track by 7:30 AM or earlier. It will be a complete day so expect to be there till 5PM. We are planning to meet at the Galpin Auto Sports (GAS) parking lot between 5:30AM to 6:00 AM sharp. GAS is off the 405 freeway at Roscoe. Go East and turn right at the first light. The parking lot for GAS is on your immediate right. From GAS its about a 90 minute drive out to Willow Springs.

Note: Helmets are mandatory. call open track racing for requirements 818-206-8559

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL ME AT 805-501-8244

ShelbySteve

What a day we had!! Everybody, you have to put your car on the track. Our cars handled fantastic. We used painters tape to protect the paint from rocks and debris. I was able to reach 135MPH in the front sraight. Nothing like the experience. THIS CAR IS THE BEST!!!! Thanks to Alan Crockett of Barber Racing and his staff for a great day. We learned so much. Everybody that was there please post your pictures as soon as you can.

ShelbySteve

post-8657-1189365136_thumb.jpg

post-8657-1189365153_thumb.jpg

Great job guys!! I spoke to the newspaper that was covering the event and they said they had lots of good footage. They believe their video will be available in about 2 weeks or less. Had several nice calls from you guys and believe me its appreciated. So much friggen fun, should be illegal huh!

BTW we have good footage of the one and only spin from inside the car ;>)

Thanks to all of you guys and wives! It was a blast and very productive. Discs will come out with your instructor comments in about a week. Be sure we have your mailing address!

Very cool dude! You were clean! Sometimes taking some time and getting started the right way pays dividends big time.

I got a note from Paul Brown, he said he had a blast and if we do it again would join us. He is off to the NASA nationals to race a Morgan Aero 8 (one of 5 in North America)

There will be more than youtube....Ventura County Star is editing a video as we write. They had a camera crew shooting video..will post a link to Barberdrivingexperience.com

Also watch the "Wheels" section, I was told we have a cover story possibly even this week.

WOW, I'm Jealous!

I love that track. There is something great about flying through turn 9 while clinching your buttcheeks, then giving it all you got down that long straight and then standing hard on the brakes, hoping the tires will hold while diving into turn 1.

It looks like you guys had a good turnout. Thanks for sharing the pics!

WOW, I'm Jealous!

I love that track. There is something great about flying through turn 9 while clinching your buttcheeks, then giving it all you got down that long straight and then standing hard on the brakes, hoping the tires will hold while diving into turn 1.

It looks like you guys had a good turnout. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Hope you make the next one! Great shots! Also check the pic thread on Willow

Archived