TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WILLOW SPRINGS DAY!!!!!! 9/8/07

ShelbySteve

OK everybody, here is the day we have been waiting for!!! Saturday September 8, 2007 is GT500 day at the Willow Springs Track. Please go to opentrackracing.com and sign up and pay (190.00) for the day. Alan Crockett from Barber Racing Experience will be providing driving school for the day. To sign up and pay (250.00) for the driving school go to "barberdrivingexperience.com" or call 805-340-5110. We have informed Ford and the Shelby people of this event. It could be the biggest gathering of new GT500s on a track since the car has been on the road. Additionally the media in various forms will be attending this event.

We need to be at the track by 7:30 AM or earlier. It will be a complete day so expect to be there till 5PM. We are planning to meet at the Galpin Auto Sports (GAS) parking lot between 5:30AM to 6:00 AM sharp. GAS is off the 405 freeway at Roscoe. Go East and turn right at the first light. The parking lot for GAS is on your immediate right. From GAS its about a 90 minute drive out to Willow Springs.

Note: Helmets are mandatory. call open track racing for requirements 818-206-8559

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL ME AT 805-501-8244

ShelbySteve

post-8657-1188171896_thumb.jpg

post-8657-1188171896_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats correct on the cost, sounds like about 15 Gt500s will be there. We are also coaching the AMG Mercedes Club at the same time. Will maintain a 3 to 1 ratio and will have some "press" there documenting the training for a feature article.

Willow international is a good place to get to know the strong parts and weak parts of the Gt500. Looks to be a great time!

BTW Ford is interested in the event and has asked for file footage- so your car could end up in a video

Hi Everyone,

Are convertibles allowed or do they need a rollbar?

Paul

Hi Paul

Steve here. We have 3 or 4 other conv GT500s coming. We hope that it won't be a problem but there is a chance that the track will not let you drive without a rollbar. If you keep the top up we think it will be OK, but no gaurantees.

Steve,

I went to opentrackracing.com and sign up and pay (190.00). I have some questions for you:

1. Meeting @ 6AM @ GAS and what time you plan to leave GAS
  2. There are 3 forms in the opentrack web, we need to complete all 3 form correct?
  3. I saw some people in the pics that tape-up their car, what is that for? Do we need to have this done prior to enter the track? What kind of tape they are using

Steve,

I went to opentrackracing.com and sign up and pay (190.00). I have some questions for you:

1. Meeting @ 6AM @ GAS and what time you plan to leave GAS

2. There are 3 forms in the opentrack web, we need to complete all 3 form correct?

3. I saw some people in the pics that tape-up their car, what is that for? Do we need to have this done prior to enter the track? What kind of tape they are using

Hi Colt,

When I would go out there some people were using Gaffers Tape to proctect the front of there cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_3110.asp?pricode=wb214

Willows infield was dirt with some small rocks, which sometimes ends up on the track,

I don't know if this has changed I haven't been there in a few years?

My 94 Mustang took a rock in the front edge of the hood, from a car in front of me, and cracked it,

so I wouldn't follow right behind anyone?

Paul

Hi Colt,

When I would go out there some people were using Gaffers Tape to proctect the front of there cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_3110.asp?pricode=wb214

Willows infield was dirt with some small rocks, which sometimes ends up on the track,

I don't know if this has changed I haven't been there in a few years?

My 94 Mustang took a rock in the front edge of the hood, from a car in front of me, and cracked it,

so I wouldn't follow right behind anyone?

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for inf. As I looked at those pics again, they are using tape that you could get from Home Depot to prep prior to painting. I will call people @ barberdriving. I have invisible bra on my car already so by putting the tapes should be safe I hope.

Receaved PM from Jim Edison and he is signed up and doing instruction. That makes three confirmed for instruction.

Guys if you want instruction and ground support I have to staff correctly. Ground support includes working with the car set up and safety and performance checks thoughout the day. Please PM me if you want instruction. Time is short and we want this to be very professional, we will try to get all the students cars in the video and will have Data Acquisition available

Receaved PM from Jim Edison and he is signed up and doing instruction. That makes three confirmed for instruction.

Guys if you want instruction and ground support I have to staff correctly. Ground support includes working with the car set up and safety and performance checks thoughout the day. Please PM me if you want instruction. Time is short and we want this to be very professional, we will try to get all the students cars in the video and will have Data Acquisition available

I just PM you

OK everybody, here is the day we have been waiting for!!! Saturday September 8, 2007 is GT500 day at the Willow Springs Track. Please go to opentrackracing.com and sign up and pay (190.00) for the day. Alan Crockett from Barber Racing Experience will be providing driving school for the day. To sign up and pay (250.00) for the driving school go to "barberdrivingexperience.com" or call 805-340-5110. We have informed Ford and the Shelby people of this event. It could be the biggest gathering of new GT500s on a track since the car has been on the road. Additionally the media in various forms will be attending this event.

We need to be at the track by 8:00 AM or earlier. It will be a complete day so expect to be there till 5PM. We are planning to meet at the Galpin Auto Sports (GAS) parking lot at 6:00 AM. GAS is off the 405 freeway at Roscoe. Go East and turn right at the first light. The parking lot for GAS is on your immediate right. From GAS its about a 90 minute drive out to Willow Springs.

Note: Helmets are mandatory. call open track racing for requirements 818-206-8559

ShelbySteve

[/quot :shift:

Hi Steve,

I just signed up for Track Day and I'm looking forward to this event as I'm sure all of us are. How many cars do we have signed up already?

Is there more pictures from last Sunday and how can we get them?

Thanks for everything.

Armen H.

Now getting some more guys calling and enrolling we should post up a list- I am going to assign some numbers for the students so when they get their discs from us they have the right lessons on them. As soon as I get a list out of Mike C will start a amendable post.

This is getting better all the time.

Ok, I spoke with Dawn yesterday and Allan this morming. If you are planning to to sign up for the driving instructions you need to write a check and mail to address listed below.

Barber Driving Experience

5778 Mulberry Ridge

Camarillo, CA 93012

Allan told me to that he will only accept the 20 students. As part of the cost they will have ground crews perform safety check prior to get on the track and on subsequence runs. Also, he would like to get the check to him ASAP so he and Dawn could make all the appropriate logistic to support the event with respect to ground crews and instructors. Also, I got email from Dawn (below) regarding preparation prior to show up on the track.

Hi Sam,

Yes the address is correct. Please make the check out to Barber Driving Experience.

As for the equipment you will need: The gloves are optional. They are not a required item. Some drivers like them and other's don't, so again - they are an optional item. Helmets are required. SA2005 is recommended, but not required. DOT approved are required. No Nazi top of head pieces. Open Track is allowing M series helmets to work. As long as the helmet is rates SA2000 or MA2000 or more current and DOT approved you should be fine. All helmets must be full faced. We do require long sleeved shirts and long pants while on the track. I'm sorry, I know it gets warm out there, but it's for your safety :)

For more information on how you should prepare yourself and your car the night before and for that morning, take a look at our web site, www.barberdrivingexperience.com and click on Track Preparation. This will help you to get ready and for what to expect. If you have any more questions, please feel free to call me or e-mail me.

See ya at the track!

Dawn

Logistics Manager

Barber Driving Experience

805-340-5110

One more thing you need to bring with you some masking tape that you see @ Home Depot. This is the blue masking tapes that are used to prep prior to painting. You are using this tapes to put your hood/bumper/fog light prevent nick from the track debries.

Well I hope this help.

One amendment, OTR (Open track racing) does not require full faced. I strongly suggest it! Also bring long sleeves but you may not need that as well.

Like Dawn said check out the Barber page, lots of info there including some Willow footage in the media/vid section.

Few things. Bring a hat, bring a box to put your stuff in so its not flying around in the car at 2"G"s (like bowling balls) I will have a few folding chairs but if you have one handly bring it. We will have 2 10x10 pop ups, compressor, generator, hand tools, tire measurement guages, pyrometers, some fluids and 2 or 3 cases of water.

If your significant other digs cars, bring them! It will be a long time before you get a group of cars at the track together like this

OK here is a list of our group

Jon Thomas- BDX Mustang

Ken Palos- BDX Mustang

Jim Edison- Shelby Gt

Mike Caputo-Shelby Gt500

Sam Truong- Shelby Gt500

Daniel Bashaw- Shelby Gt500

Tony Hill- Shelby Gt500

Jay Stusser- Shelby Gt500

Vern Alstot- Shelby Gt500

James Mensendiek- shelby Gt500

Humberto Villa Senior- Shelby Gt500

We need to be at the track by 8:00 AM or earlier. It will be a complete day so expect to be there till 5PM. We are planning to meet at the Galpin Auto Sports (GAS) parking lot at 6:00 AM. GAS is off the 405 freeway at Roscoe. Go East and turn right at the first light. The parking lot for GAS is on your immediate right. From GAS its about a 90 minute drive out to Willow Springs.

ShelbySteve

SIX DAYS TO WILLOW SPRINGS EVERYBODY. IF YOU HAVEN'T SIGNED UP DO IT ASAP!!!!

SIX DAYS TO WILLOW SPRINGS EVERYBODY. IF YOU HAVEN'T SIGNED UP DO IT ASAP!!!!

Also verified that there is a lunch provided by Opentrackracing.com for free (BBQ) which is usually Chicken and hot dogs with salad and chips, drinks

I ordered a helmet from Simpson, but since it is a painted piece I think there might be a chance I won't see it by Saturday. Will sign up by today or tomorrow if I get a solid ETA from them.

Dude get signed up, I have (1) extra Simpson you can use. Let us know if you want instruction

Can you please ad Armen Harutyunyan on the list, I had spoken to Dawn just this past Satueday about signing me up. Thank You

OK here is a list of our group

Jon Thomas- BDX Mustang

Ken Palos- BDX Mustang

Jim Edison- Shelby Gt

Mike Caputo-Shelby Gt500

Sam Truong- Shelby Gt500

Daniel Bashaw- Shelby Gt500

Tony Hill- Shelby Gt500

Jay Stusser- Shelby Gt500

Vern Alstot- Shelby Gt500

James Mensendiek- shelby Gt500

Humberto Villa Senior- Shelby Gt500

Dude get signed up, I have (1) extra Simpson you can use. Let us know if you want instruction

Sent you an e-mail.

I just got a tracking # from them today, should be here Thursday or Friday. I'm in + instruction. :happy feet:

edit: It also looks like I've got a Clear Bra installation lined up, so I won't be needing painter's tape I don't think..

Archived