TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grumbling noise from rear end.

03reptile

I have noticed that when making slow to average speed turns, I hear a low groaning or metalic noise from the rear( sorry I can't think of a word to properly describe it!) Anyway, I took it to the dealer and Tech heard the noise after driving it, and said it was most likely the clutches in the differential making the noise. Apparently this is common among the traction-lock rears. He drained a little rear end fluid out and put in a bottle of friction modifier and said to drive it for about a hundred miles and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, they'll have to put new clutches in rear, all under warranty of course. I'll keep you all posted to see if the modifier works. He said that sometimes the manufacturer of the rear-ends forgets to add it. This just started at about 3K miles and prior to that, it was quiet or I didn't notice it.

I have noticed that when making slow to average speed turns, I hear a low groaning or metalic noise from the rear( sorry I can't think of a word to properly describe it!) Anyway, I took it to the dealer and Tech heard the noise after driving it, and said it was most likely the clutches in the differential making the noise. Apparently this is common among the traction-lock rears. He drained a little rear end fluid out and put in a bottle of friction modifier and said to drive it for about a hundred miles and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, they'll have to put new clutches in rear, all under warranty of course. I'll keep you all posted to see if the modifier works. He said that sometimes the manufacturer of the rear-ends forgets to add it. This just started at about 3K miles and prior to that, it was quiet or I didn't notice it.

How many miles on your car? If it's been driven since you got it without friction modifier in the differential I'd be concerned about those being damaged. That's a lot of wear and tear on a part that is supposed to have a specific lubricant. Adding it a couple thousand miles down the road doesn't seem like the best fix to me.

How many miles on your car? If it's been driven since you got it without friction modifier in the differential I'd be concerned about those being damaged. That's a lot of wear and tear on a part that is supposed to have a specific lubricant. Adding it a couple thousand miles down the road doesn't seem like the best fix to me.

The tech didn't specifically say it didn't have friction modifier in it, just that it could have happened. If the noise continues after the 100 mile try out, they will replace all the clutches under warranty. The car has 3,600 miles. I'm inclinded to think it did have friction modifier in it from the factory otherwise I think it would have sounded off earlier. The Tech said that the clutches sometimes develop noise for no specific reason on new cars and replacing them corrects the problem. I just may have them go ahead and replace them to be on the safe side. Don't want an out of warranty failure down the road. The dealership has always been very good to me, so I don't anticipate them bucking on replacing the clutches as a failsafe.

• 5 months later...
The tech didn't specifically say it didn't have friction modifier in it, just that it could have happened. If the noise continues after the 100 mile try out, they will replace all the clutches under warranty. The car has 3,600 miles. I'm inclinded to think it did have friction modifier in it from the factory otherwise I think it would have sounded off earlier. The Tech said that the clutches sometimes develop noise for no specific reason on new cars and replacing them corrects the problem. I just may have them go ahead and replace them to be on the safe side. Don't want an out of warranty failure down the road. The dealership has always been very good to me, so I don't anticipate them bucking on replacing the clutches as a failsafe.

Did adding the friction modifier solve this issue for you? I just started hearing this noise while making slow right hand turns in a parking lot.

Do u hear this noise all the time or is it intermitent? I have a chain dragging kind of noise that I hear when pulling out of the garage between the houses and hear it at low speed out the neighbohood. But it doesn't happen all the time. This started about 3k miles or so.

I have noticed that when making slow to average speed turns, I hear a low groaning or metalic noise from the rear( sorry I can't think of a word to properly describe it!)

Mine did the same thing after another owner warned me that his GT500 and Mustang GT made rear end noises in turns - both times he had LS clutch packs replaced. Mine had only 940 miles at the time I first encountered it. Took it to the dealer and at first they were going to replace the LS clutch packs but they found another TSB that advised them to add friction modifier. I believe the noise is gone or not as noticable, However, I did seem to hear it a few weeks ago but not sure it was the same thing.

Here are two related Ford TSBs:

TSB 07-22-8 is for just adding the friction modifier.

TSB 06-19-2 replaces the clutch packs in the limited-slip differential.

If they didn`t add any or enough friction modifier then you will get this noise . Once they change your fluid & add the friction modifier & you drive it for a couple of days it will fix the problem, believe me i just went through this same problem. 3k shouldn`t ruin the clutch packs , & if it continues which i doubt it will ,its still under warranty Good Luck

Archived