TEAM SHELBY FORUM

20" tire band sensor was loose..

BillyRay

I was at Discount tire this morning because I scraped my new 20" razor last week!! So the new rim came in and we were going to check the balance on the front two tires. I noticed a little shake at about 30-40 MPH. We remounted the new rim , balanced and everything went fine. The tech was rebalancing the left front wheel and it would not quite balance correctly. He then takes the tire and bouces it and we hear a tinney noise. He right away says I think the band came loose,but this wheel maybe has only 50 miles on it.

Sure enough the tire comes off and the band was about 6 inches loose!! So this time we retighten and I bent the band so it would'nt happen again.

I suggest on the next rotation to bouce each tire and make sure there,s not an xtra noise. The boys at Disc tire in Phx. RT51 and Cactus did a outstanding job!

BillyRay

PS. This is no $hit...with the 20" Razors I get the kids to come out of the gas station to goggle over the car. I feel the rims adds so much to the appearance of the total package of this car!! It would be nice if Ford had an upgrade for these killer wheels but I,am sure I would have bought them cheaper by the route I already had discovered. Now get out there and turn some heads!

I was at Discount tire this morning because I scraped my new 20" razor last week!! So the new rim came in and we were going to check the balance on the front two tires. I noticed a little shake at about 30-40 MPH. We remounted the new rim , balanced and everything went fine. The tech was rebalancing the left front wheel and it would not quite balance correctly. He then takes the tire and bouces it and we hear a tinney noise. He right away says I think the band came loose,but this wheel maybe has only 50 miles on it.

Sure enough the tire comes off and the band was about 6 inches loose!! So this time we retighten and I bent the band so it would'nt happen again.

I suggest on the next rotation to bouce each tire and make sure there,s not an xtra noise. The boys at Disc tire in Phx. RT51 and Cactus did a outstanding job!

BillyRay

PS. This is no $hit...with the 20" Razors I get the kids to come out of the gas station to goggle over the car. I feel the rims adds so much to the appearance of the total package of this car!! It would be nice if Ford had an upgrade for these killer wheels but I,am sure I would have bought them cheaper by the route I already had discovered. Now get out there and turn some heads!

BillyRay,

I've been looking for 20" wheel bands and cannot fing any for our car's sensors. Were did you get yours'? Thanks.

Stuart

Ford already makes the wheel sensor bands in sizes up to 22" rim size. I don't have the instructions with me, but when you buy a new band, it has mounting instructions as well as the part numbers for all the various size bands from 15" rims to 22" rims. The only difference in the part number is a different letter for each different size. It's something like -G for an 18", -H for a 19", and so on. Find the replacement Ford part number for the GT500 and add two letters to it. The Parts Dept should be able to help.

BR...if you run into a young lady with a black and PINK vert GT in phx... be prepared to talk some shop. Her dad lives across the street from me here in Midland and when she was home for her wedding she saw my Shelby for the first time and almost fainted. She's a great kid and loves Mustangs.

She's a Mustang nut as much as we are and loves to talk cars. So just be prepared, she'll pull you over if she sees a Shelby.

BillyRay,

I've been looking for 20" wheel bands and cannot fing any for our car's sensors. Were did you get yours'? Thanks.

Stuart

Stuart Discount here in the southwest is now carrying the bands. I think the bands were about $35.00 each. These are the the simple hose clamps in the 20" version, it would be nice if Home Depot would carry sometime like this. I,am sure the Ford dealership has them but they may be for a Explorer, Expedition etc. The last resort is a 36" zip tie, Home Depot does have them.

Ford already makes the wheel sensor bands in sizes up to 22" rim size. I don't have the instructions with me, but when you buy a new band, it has mounting instructions as well as the part numbers for all the various size bands from 15" rims to 22" rims. The only difference in the part number is a different letter for each different size. It's something like -G for an 18", -H for a 19", and so on. Find the replacement Ford part number for the GT500 and add two letters to it. The Parts Dept should be able to help.

Three Cobras,

That's great thanks...

Stuart

Stuart Discount here in the southwest is now carrying the bands. I think the bands were about $35.00 each. These are the the simple hose clamps in the 20" version, it would be nice if Home Depot would carry sometime like this. I,am sure the Ford dealership has them but they may be for a Explorer, Expedition etc. The last resort is a 36" zip tie, Home Depot does have them.

BillyRay,

Thanks. I think I'll try going with Ford as suggested by Three Cobras, we do not have a discount tire here. Thanks agin.

Stuart

BillyRay,

Thanks. I think I'll try going with Ford as suggested by Three Cobras, we do not have a discount tire here. Thanks agin.

Stuart

Stuart -

Ford sells a sensor mounting kit, which includes the band, the aluminum cradle for the sensor with double-stick tape on it, and a plastic locking device to keep the sensor secure in the cradle. They also sell just the band. Sorry I don't have the numbers handy. A friend who works at a local Ford dealer got the kit for me and it cost about $39 with his discount. Point being, the doublestick tape acts as a backup to the band that would help prevent the problem from recuring at a price not much higher than the band alone if you can get a discount. Alternatively, if you can find some heavy duty double-stick tape, I'd use it on the rim side of the cradle as insurance.

:yup:

Stuart -

Ford sells a sensor mounting kit, which includes the band, the aluminum cradle for the sensor with double-stick tape on it, and a plastic locking device to keep the sensor secure in the cradle. They also sell just the band. Sorry I don't have the numbers handy. A friend who works at a local Ford dealer got the kit for me and it cost about $39 with his discount. Point being, the doublestick tape acts as a backup to the band that would help prevent the problem from recuring at a price not much higher than the band alone if you can get a discount. Alternatively, if you can find some heavy duty double-stick tape, I'd use it on the rim side of the cradle as insurance.

:yup:

threecobras,

Yeah, I'm ordering the kit, but Ford wants $56.00! That's crazy...

Stuart

threecobras,

Yeah, I'm ordering the kit, but Ford wants $56.00! That's crazy...

Stuart

Stuart -

Probably too late if you had to pay up front to special order the kit, but why not just flat out ask for a discount? You've got nothing to lose but their money! It works for me. :yup: I usually just say something like "can you help me out on the price?"

Archived