TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 HID Close-Ups In Vapor!

nachtkriechen

Hey everyone, I remember someone asking for some close-ups of the HIDs. Last Friday I stopped by the local dealer and they had a whopping single 2008 GT in Vapor, with the HID lights. I was so enamored with the lights that I forgot to take pictures with them on. They looked VERY clear, intense, and had that bluish hue to them.

I must say the new custom cup-holder and feet lighting is pretty darn cool. However, I think they could have chosen a better location for the color change button than right next to the cup holders.

As far as the Vapor color goes, it didn't look any different than the Silver clear-coat. Something tells me the new "Dark Candy-Apple Red" is just "Redfire" with a new name too. Though, I haven't seen the Candy-Apple Red in person yet. I think I may need to see them side by side.

- Josh

post-6624-1187657348_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657372_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657834_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657926_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657348_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657372_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657834_thumb.jpg

post-6624-1187657926_thumb.jpg

Interesting picture - that's a front fascia I haven't seen before. It's not a CS and not a stock GT. Did it have any info about an aftermarket addition?

Mark,

That'll be cool if you're correct. I've always liked the colors that were darker.

Moabman,

I didn't look that close at the sticker, I just got a quick shot of the color. I may be back down that direction soon, though, and will snap a quick shot of the options list and entire sticker if it's still there. Come to think of it, when I was looking at the rear of the Stang, I noticed (but didn't take a picture) that it had a similar rear end as the GT500. On the bottom of it, it had those aerodynamic strakes. It was pretty cool.

- Josh

I think that the HIDs look horrible...the huge chrome tongue ruins the appearance of the "retro" round headlamp...putting the HIDs on the Mustang was truly an afterthought by the Ford engineers...damn "fugly" in my opinion.

I think that the HIDs look horrible...the huge chrome tongue ruins the appearance of the "retro" round headlamp...putting the HIDs on the Mustang was truly an afterthought by the Ford engineers...damn "fugly" in my opinion.

Mark25,

I think they look pretty cool. Keep in mind that the HIDs are "optional" equipment, the standard headlights are still... well, standard. I think the HIDs for the Mustang are a LOT better looking than the ones you can get after market, which are two seperate HIDs sitting vertically in the headlight cavern, with a splitter on the exterior headlight cover. In my opinion, those HIDs completely take away from the Mustang look.

- Josh

nachtkriechen, as they say...to each his own...I still think it detracts from the round headlight theme (I can only imagine what the "split HID" version must look like...It just looks like an afterthought (i.e. Ford said let's just give them HIDs and let's not worry about how they look)...

I have HIDs on my '02 Maxima and they look pretty nice...

nachtkriechen, as they say...to each his own...I still think it detracts from the round headlight theme (I can only imagine what the "split HID" version must look like...It just looks like an afterthought (i.e. Ford said let's just give them HIDs and let's not worry about how they look)...

I have HIDs on my '02 Maxima and they look pretty nice...

Mark 25,

Very true, "to each his own". Maybe the new HIDs are the best that Ford could do with the shape of the healight cavern?

I think we may be seeing the end of standard hallogens very soon. HIDs run a lot cooler, and if I recall correctly, they also use less energy, thus less of a tax on your engine.

- Josh

Disagree totally! The HID are cool and make the car look cooler, if that is possible. With the GT maybe not, but with the GT500 difference in front end, that just makes mean look meaner!!!! :happy feet:

... they also use less energy, thus less of a tax on your engine.

- Josh

With my Bi-Xenon HIDs all four ballasts (2 for lows, 2 for highs) are powered by the power plug from one of the stock halogen head lamps. The remaining plugs is capped off. They consume 35 watts compared to 55 watts, so technically there is less tax on the electrical system & therefore your engine.

With my Bi-Xenon HIDs all four ballasts (2 for lows, 2 for highs) are powered by the power plug from one of the stock halogen head lamps. The remaining plugs is capped off. They consume 35 watts compared to 55 watts, so technically there is less tax on the electrical system & therefore your engine.

And, of course, as we all know, less tax on your engine means more power to the pavement!! Every little bit counts, right? :burnout:

Ruf, only YOU can decide when "enough" is enough. :shades: By the way, how's that blower comin' along? :poke:

- Josh

Just talked to the parts guy at my Ford store.

Brace yourselves.

The HID bulbs alone are $312 EACH.

Game over.

The bulbs may be more expensive strictly speaking, but it's not really that simple a matter.

Please bear with me as I may get a bit technical, but I'll try to keep it readable by all.

Halogen bulbs are essentially the same as the incandescant light bulbs in your house. Electricity flows through a tungsten element causing it to heat to a very high temperature (about 4500-5500 F) and glow. This heat causes the tungsten element to slowly "boil" away, which over time coats the inside of the bulb reducing transmitted light, and also reduces the size of the filament, reducing the light output and increasing its electrical resistance (thereby increasing heat production further) eventually leading to the bulbs failure.

The Mustang uses a relatively new H13 dual filament bulb, available at Autozone for $13.99 each. According to Sylvania's website the low beam filament puts out 1000 (+/-15%) lumens at 55w and is rated for aprrox. 1500 hours of use and the high beam filament puts out 1500 (+/-15%) lumens at 65w and is rated at 200 hours. With normal use you'll probably get around 600-900 hours of life (obviously longer if you never use your highbeams or lower if you use them a lot, but once either filament goes out you've gotta replace them) If you use Sylvania Silverstar, PIAA Xtreme White or other similar bulbs (not out yet for H13, but expected soon) you'll be getting slightly brighter and whiter light, at about $20 per bulb but with about one third to half the lifespan.

Hight Intensity Discharge (HID) systems in cars are similar to street and stadium lamps, but are filled with xenon gas instead of argon to facilitate faster warmup times (HIDs take about a minute to reach full brightness.) They produce light (much whiter than halogens, with a tinge of blue on the outside edges) by creating an arc between two electrodes at either end of a quartz or aluminum oxide tube. The tube is filled metal halide salts, which vaporize under the heat from the arc (approx. 2000 F) and turn into light producing plasma. When the arc is turned off the metal halide vapor cools and recondenses into its original "salt" state. HIDs utilize an external ballast with an ignitor that pulses several thousand volts through the bulb for startup, then regulates the system at either 85V (D1 and D2 systems) or 42V (newer, mercury-free D3 and D4 systems) during normal operation. Once warmed up HIDs put out between 2800 and 3500 lumens using 35-38 watts.

As HIDs do not have filaments, dual headlamp systems like the Mustang's utilize a mechanical "shutter" which changes the upper cut-off line of the light pattern to create a low beam. What this means is that as opposed to halogens your low beams are just as bright as your high beams, they just doesn't reach as far down the road. This also means that (with most systems) you don't lose "close-up" light when using your highbeams. HID lights also produce less glare to oncoming drivers than halogens do as the light is much more focused. The bad rep HIDs get for blinding drivers comes mostly from poorly installed (illegal in the US) aftermarket kits and people mistaking those horrible blue headlight bulbs as HIDs. Also unlike halogen bulbs which "wear" continuously HID bulbs only wear during startup, when a small amount of the anode and cathode material (usually tungsten) is burned away. Thus the lifespan of an HID bulb is almost entirely determined by how often you turn the lights on and off. Most HID manufacturers rate the bulbs for a lifespan of 2000-2500 hours for the average user. If most of your night time trips are short (or for some reason you enjoy turning your lights on and off) you'll get closer to the lower end of that range, if most of your night trips are long it should be near the upper end.

So assuming that the '08 Mustang's HIDs are like the majority of others out there (and the prices your parts guy gave you hold accurate,) you'll spend about $600 every 2200 or so hours of use (hopefully being a newer system they'll last even longer,) vs about $100 for the same amount of time with halogens or about $400 if you're using the "whiter" halogens.

So you'll probably spend more money over time, but 2200 hours is a lot of night time driving, and you get a larger amount of more useable light, and a (very, very slight) reduction of alternator drag.

In the end it's always nice to have more options, and it really boils down to a personal choice and how long you'll keeping the car. If you keep it for 5 years or less the odds are very slim that you'll ever have to replace the HID bulbs. I do mostly night driving and make a lot of long distance trips (meaning i won't turn them on and off as often) and I'm happy to get as much light as I can, (and I won't deny that I think they look cool,) so I'll be ordering my GT with the HIDs.

Either way, the most important thing is that you get a Mustang!

The bulbs may be more expensive strictly speaking, but it's not really that simple a matter.

Please bear with me as I may get a bit technical, but I'll try to keep it readable by all.

Halogen bulbs are essentially the same as the incandescant light bulbs in your house. Electricity flows through a tungsten element causing it to heat to a very high temperature (about 4500-5500 F) and glow. This heat causes the tungsten element to slowly "boil" away, which over time coats the inside of the bulb reducing transmitted light, and also reduces the size of the filament, reducing the light output and increasing its electrical resistance (thereby increasing heat production further) eventually leading to the bulbs failure.

The Mustang uses a relatively new H13 dual filament bulb, available at Autozone for $13.99 each. According to Sylvania's website the low beam filament puts out 1000 (+/-15%) lumens at 55w and is rated for aprrox. 1500 hours of use and the high beam filament puts out 1500 (+/-15%) lumens at 65w and is rated at 200 hours. With normal use you'll probably get around 600-900 hours of life (obviously longer if you never use your highbeams or lower if you use them a lot, but once either filament goes out you've gotta replace them) If you use Sylvania Silverstar, PIAA Xtreme White or other similar bulbs (not out yet for H13, but expected soon) you'll be getting slightly brighter and whiter light, at about $20 per bulb but with about one third to half the lifespan.

Hight Intensity Discharge (HID) systems in cars are similar to street and stadium lamps, but are filled with xenon gas instead of argon to facilitate faster warmup times (HIDs take about a minute to reach full brightness.) They produce light (much whiter than halogens, with a tinge of blue on the outside edges) by creating an arc between two electrodes at either end of a quartz or aluminum oxide tube. The tube is filled metal halide salts, which vaporize under the heat from the arc (approx. 2000 F) and turn into light producing plasma. When the arc is turned off the metal halide vapor cools and recondenses into its original "salt" state. HIDs utilize an external ballast with an ignitor that pulses several thousand volts through the bulb for startup, then regulates the system at either 85V (D1 and D2 systems) or 42V (newer, mercury-free D3 and D4 systems) during normal operation. Once warmed up HIDs put out between 2800 and 3500 lumens using 35-38 watts.

As HIDs do not have filaments, dual headlamp systems like the Mustang's utilize a mechanical "shutter" which changes the upper cut-off line of the light pattern to create a low beam. What this means is that as opposed to halogens your low beams are just as bright as your high beams, they just doesn't reach as far down the road. This also means that (with most systems) you don't lose "close-up" light when using your highbeams. HID lights also produce less glare to oncoming drivers than halogens do as the light is much more focused. The bad rep HIDs get for blinding drivers comes mostly from poorly installed (illegal in the US) aftermarket kits and people mistaking those horrible blue headlight bulbs as HIDs. Also unlike halogen bulbs which "wear" continuously HID bulbs only wear during startup, when a small amount of the anode and cathode material (usually tungsten) is burned away. Thus the lifespan of an HID bulb is almost entirely determined by how often you turn the lights on and off. Most HID manufacturers rate the bulbs for a lifespan of 2000-2500 hours for the average user. If most of your night time trips are short (or for some reason you enjoy turning your lights on and off) you'll get closer to the lower end of that range, if most of your night trips are long it should be near the upper end.

So assuming that the '08 Mustang's HIDs are like the majority of others out there (and the prices your parts guy gave you hold accurate,) you'll spend about $600 every 2200 or so hours of use (hopefully being a newer system they'll last even longer,) vs about $100 for the same amount of time with halogens or about $400 if you're using the "whiter" halogens.

So you'll probably spend more money over time, but 2200 hours is a lot of night time driving, and you get a larger amount of more useable light, and a (very, very slight) reduction of alternator drag.

In the end it's always nice to have more options, and it really boils down to a personal choice and how long you'll keeping the car. If you keep it for 5 years or less the odds are very slim that you'll ever have to replace the HID bulbs. I do mostly night driving and make a lot of long distance trips (meaning i won't turn them on and off as often) and I'm happy to get as much light as I can, (and I won't deny that I think they look cool,) so I'll be ordering my GT with the HIDs.

Either way, the most important thing is that you get a Mustang!

I'm glad there are so many intelligent people here at Stangs Unleashed. Nice write-up jlasabre!

- Josh

I'm glad there are so many intelligent people here at Stangs Unleashed. Nice write-up jlasabre!

- Josh

No problem, I just like to make sure everyone has the best info out there before making a decision. BTW, I went by my local dealership yesterday and they had a black GT/CS with the HIDs. They look pretty damn good in person!

No problem, I just like to make sure everyone has the best info out there before making a decision. BTW, I went by my local dealership yesterday and they had a black GT/CS with the HIDs. They look pretty damn good in person!

Thanks for the write up Jeremy! Very good info.

You don't happen to work for a lighting company do you?

I agree. You just have to see them in person. And as much as I feel the "Vapor" looks identical to the Silver clear coat, I'll reserve judgement on the Dark Candy Apple for an in person inspection. I loved the Redfire, but, we'll have to see if Candy Apple is as good looking or better.

- Josh

Won't the bulbs be available aftermarket through Sylvania or someone? Then they would carry a lower price than the supposed 600 dollars. Sounds pretty high to me.

The manufacturers name wil likely be printed on the bulb somewhere, so I'd think that you could go straight to the original supplier for them. I'm not 100% sure though.

I still think that the Ford HIDs are an afterthought and the Ford designers rushed them through to make the production schedule...their appearance (with the large metal tongues) take away from the round "retro" lamp appearance...but to each his own.

Archived