TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, are the HID's true plug and play?

chuckstang

was it mis information ... there was a thread that stated they were plug and play

Although I don't know for sure they are not plug-n-play, I CAN tell you that I get a strong relay engagement sound when I pull the brights on our '08 GT500...which I do not get on the '07 SGT. That tells me that the wiring may not be the same between the 2 headlight systems.

This is the post from sonofgt ... so it seems we have some contradictory info on this subject

Everything is fine. All is well. All data verifed by Sylvania. Compatibllty is NOT the issue. DOT has specific regulations regarding the installation of any H.I.D. system on to any car that did not come that way from the factory. As long as the polycarbinate lens cover has "DOT" embossed on it, there won't be any issue with violations.

You must admit that the internal Broadcast message is a bit vague. If there was a specific technicial reason why, then one would think that it would be specified in the message.

Don't buy the lights. Let me be the Guinea Pig for all here for the next 30 days or so, and I will post any information about this matter for all to see and make their own decisions about the lights.

But all my data/information comes from Sylvania and they said no problem with the retrofit. BTW, Saleen's H.I.D.'s are made by them also and I have not had one bit of problem with retrofitting their lamps into my SGT not to mention all of the Saleen's that have had their lamps changed over by Saleen.

I do not have ANY concerns with these lamps, but that's me.

This is the post from sonofgt ... so it seems we have some contradictory info on this subject

Everything is fine. All is well. All data verifed by Sylvania. Compatibllty is NOT the issue. DOT has specific regulations regarding the installation of any H.I.D. system on to any car that did not come that way from the factory. As long as the polycarbinate lens cover has "DOT" embossed on it, there won't be any issue with violations.

You must admit that the internal Broadcast message is a bit vague. If there was a specific technicial reason why, then one would think that it would be specified in the message.

Don't buy the lights. Let me be the Guinea Pig for all here for the next 30 days or so, and I will post any information about this matter for all to see and make their own decisions about the lights.

But all my data/information comes from Sylvania and they said no problem with the retrofit. BTW, Saleen's H.I.D.'s are made by them also and I have not had one bit of problem with retrofitting their lamps into my SGT not to mention all of the Saleen's that have had their lamps changed over by Saleen.

You must not have read his follow up on this subject. He later posted they were not plug and play. He has not been around since. I thought he was still going to get them installed and follow up later with what was involved to get them hooked up. But they are NOT plug and play.

Here is his follow up post he made:

=============================

To my fellow Stangs Unleashed members:

My sincerest apologies to you all for posting inaccurate information about the H.I.D. lamps. I do my best to only provide accurate information here, but I’m finding out that sometimes my sources are not as strong as others, and I was given inaccurate information. In this particular case, I was given inaccurate information from multiple resources, which in the end apparently did not check their sources.

Even though I thought that I did my due diligence by checking and rechecking the information from three different sources (one within FoMoCo, and the other two within Sylvania, I must also acknowledge that I took the bad information and presented to all of you as fact, or at minimum with the highest confidence that what I was sharing with you was gospel. I again apologize for making that mistake, and promise that I won’t do that again.

Regardless of who said what to me, I take full responsibility for posting that the H.I.D.’s were “plug and play” when clearly they are not.

Here is the bottom line:

1. Purchased alone, the 2008 H.I.D. lamps will not work in a 2007 GT500.

2. Yesterday’s internal broadcast message about retrofitting the H.I.D.’s in to a 06’ or 07’ Mustang is based on technical issues NOT corporate policy.

3. Besides the fact that the connectors will not jive, the other issue about MY compatibility is based on the high beam circuit.

4. I HAVE BEEN ADVISED that the lights can be made to work, but it will require a relay and harness neither of which I have at this time. This information was relayed to me by my dumbass contact at Sylvania early this morning AFTER I grilled him about Ford’s broadcast message last night. The information has also been verified by Stang’s Unleashed member “TEKE” who PM’ed telling me that his source at Sylvania told him the same thing. All I can say at this time is thank you TEKE and we’ll see what happens.

5. I will post specific and accurate information if I am able to make the lamps work with said relay and harness.

6. Many thanks for those members who came forward with the broadcast message as well as the 2008 H.I.D. circuit diagrams.

7. For the record, I feel like a complete Dumass and again apologize to all for the bad information that I posted about this matter.

StangNet has their GT500 project car and one of the mods is the addition of the '08 HIDs. The project is detailed here. The headlight section is about 2/3's of the way down but is short on details. It does mention "harness and module requirements". Those really interested in the swap could probably get more details from StangNet.

Archived